Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New girlfriend of an EOD man. Need advice

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default New girlfriend of an EOD man. Need advice

I've never dated anyone in the military so this is all very new to me. I also don't know much about it. But here is the situation.
    He is in the army and is an EOD Staff SGT. He is being deployed in September. He has been very helpful in explaining how things work. He's a very open man, and is preparing me for how hard this can be for both of us. I know it's not going to be easy and I'm prepared for that. He is doing very well with painting a picture of how this can be because this is his 4th deployment. I am willing to take this step with him as he is with me. I don't honestly know much about the army, and this is all very new to me. I am just trying to prepare myself and wanting to have support while he is gone. We have only been seeing each other for a short while, but seem to grow closer every day. We both want to give this a true chance, and I am just very nervous. I don't know what it is going to be like when he is gone. Although he has done his best to explain it to me, I wont truly know until the time comes. With him being an EOD it makes me more nervous to know how dangerous his job is. although he has been in the army for 10 years and is very experienced no situation is the same and that is what scares me the most. Has anyone else delt with similar situations? any advice would be greatly appreciated

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: New girlfriend of an EOD man. Need advice

Have you ever seen the movie hurt locker?
    If I stay in this beloved Corps I vow to try my hardest to put a kink in the careerism and duechebaggary that plagues the ranks in an attempt to prevent the downfall of a lethal, vigorous and purportedly adaptive force.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Yes, he explained to me that the movie is overly dramatized. And although things can get intense it's not like that 24/7.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

"Hey 'Leah'; just relax and not get your mind in an uproar, if you are going to freak out over his 'job' now then you are not going to in a position to support him later, we are not 'civilians' were the greatest risk is just driving to work! No matter how small of a part we all play in the scheme of things one thing is plane to all of us, is the fact that we ALL owe our lives to you! (and 300 million other Americans) My Brother lost 10+ classmates to accidents and warfare and all knew the risk. I've lost friends in opps, very easily could have been me. Be positive and don't dwell on the neg's cause it will drown you." RC.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I am not freaking out over his job. I do support him very much now and will when he deploys. I have never dated anyone in the military and just don't know what to expect either way while he is gone. All I am looking for is advice and someone to talk to who understands or has been in similar situations because I don't know anyone who's dated a military man for one nor anyone who has been deployed. Thank you for your words, although I feel like you were being a bit negative toward me in the fact I am completely ignorant of what military life is like for a girlfriend of a deployed soldier.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Leah, most of us here are (or were) military. I'm not sure how many spouses or GFs are around. We might have some military-military couples around that could give you some advice/support.

I will admit you are in a tough situation, without a person "in the know" to talk to. Hopefully someone here can give you a hand.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Leah3388 View Post
    I am not freaking out over his job. I do support him very much now and will when he deploys. I have never dated anyone in the military and just don't know what to expect either way while he is gone. All I am looking for is advice and someone to talk to who understands or has been in similar situations because I don't know anyone who's dated a military man for one nor anyone who has been deployed. Thank you for your words, although I feel like you were being a bit negative toward me in the fact I am completely ignorant of what military life is like for a girlfriend of a deployed soldier.
    Leah, it may seem a bit overwhelming, but everyone in the military wasn't in the military before they joined the military

We weren't given up by our parents at age 7, raised in a brutal structure and had to kill a helot to complete 11 years of Basic Training (that's the Spartans; Greek, not Michigan State.) After you figure out the acronyms (which everyone in the military uses, but keep in mind Navy and Marines speak a different language than Air Force and Army) it's all downhill from there. I guess I'm saying not to sweat the small stuff.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Thank you for your response. I was directed to this forum by another person on here and they said it would be helpful. And thank you for recognizing my situation without knowing anyone with similar experience

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Not the same thing but maybe you could look at a few blogs written by military wifes?

This one is an Army wives journal during her husbands 15 month deployment: http://fifteenmonths.blogspot.com/20...eployment.html
    There might be some links to people or resources that could be helpful.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    Not the same thing but maybe you could look at a few blogs written by military wifes?

This one is an Army wives journal during her husbands 15 month deployment: http://fifteenmonths.blogspot.com/20...eployment.html
    There might be some links to people or resources that could be helpful.
    Thank you! I really appreciate the advice!

Thread Information