Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: More Furloughs Coming Your Way

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NV
    Posts
    540
    Likes (Received)
    436
    Thanks (Received)
    43

    Default More Furloughs Coming Your Way

    SECDEF now predicts more furloughs and probable RIFs in FY14. Regardless of how you feel about the DoD budget, good people will be the ones impacted. My advice to DOD employees is to jump ship at the first opportunity and find work with private companies that don't do business with the DoD.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,270
    Likes (Received)
    264
    Thanks (Received)
    35

    Default Re: More Furloughs Coming Your Way

    When I retired last Summer, I figured all this was going to happen eventually. I saw the drawdown that followed Desert Storm and it was not pretty either. After 12 years of getting blank checks, the DOD is having a tough time realizing that their business model is not sustainable. I went with another agency for my GS career choice.

    The furloughs that we will see to start FY13 will be to weed out those that are willing to leave on their own terms. Those that remain will experience the RIF. The more people that quit as result of furloughs, the fewer that have to be processed through a RIF.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NV
    Posts
    540
    Likes (Received)
    436
    Thanks (Received)
    43

    Default Re: More Furloughs Coming Your Way

    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    When I retired last Summer, I figured all this was going to happen eventually. I saw the drawdown that followed Desert Storm and it was not pretty either. After 12 years of getting blank checks, the DOD is having a tough time realizing that their business model is not sustainable. I went with another agency for my GS career choice.

    The furloughs that we will see to start FY13 will be to weed out those that are willing to leave on their own terms. Those that remain will experience the RIF. The more people that quit as result of furloughs, the fewer that have to be processed through a RIF.
    What's interesting is that you can cut the DoD budget by 100% and we'll still run up $500 billion annual deficits. God forbid if we touch entitlements (60%+ of all Fed revenue).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,270
    Likes (Received)
    264
    Thanks (Received)
    35

    Default Re: More Furloughs Coming Your Way

    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    What's interesting is that you can cut the DoD budget by 100% and we'll still run up $500 billion annual deficits. God forbid if we touch entitlements (60%+ of all Fed revenue).
    Agreed - entitlements are grossly out of control, and I would throw in foreign aid as well. There are plenty of problems within our own borders that need to be addressed before money is shipped overseas. But certainly you agree that DOD is bloated and there is no possible way (or valid reason) for the DOD to continue to operate at current expenditure and manning levels, right?
    Last edited by efmbman; 07-21-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: I can't spell today
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    1,356
    Likes (Received)
    17
    Thanks (Received)
    4

    Default Re: More Furloughs Coming Your Way

    I just hope they do the RIFs and quit this furlough nonsense. But the idea should be not to just cut positions/people and then try to conduct business as usual with less people. Cut expectations, cut programs, and then cut the excess people determined no longer needed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NV
    Posts
    540
    Likes (Received)
    436
    Thanks (Received)
    43

    Default Re: More Furloughs Coming Your Way

    Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedAirman View Post
    I just hope they do the RIFs and quit this furlough nonsense. But the idea should be not to just cut positions/people and then try to conduct business as usual with less people. Cut expectations, cut programs, and then cut the excess people determined no longer needed.
    Hagel said himself that the remaining workforce after any cuts will be asked to do more with less. Business as usual, less manpower, fewer bennies/pay for those still willing to hang on.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NV
    Posts
    540
    Likes (Received)
    436
    Thanks (Received)
    43

    Default Re: More Furloughs Coming Your Way

    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    Agreed - entitlements are grossly out of control, and I would throw in foreign aid as well. There are plenty of problems within our own borders that need to be addressed before money is shipped overseas. But certainly you agree that DOD is bloated and there is no possible way (or valid reason) for the DOD to continue to operate at current expenditure and manning levels, right?
    They need to close bases too, but congress doesn't want to hear it. Doesn't matter if there's only one airplane on a base, just don't ask to close it. Congress is about as self-serving as it can get!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    VAFB
    Posts
    239
    Likes (Received)
    21
    Thanks (Received)
    5

    Default Re: More Furloughs Coming Your Way

    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    SECDEF now predicts more furloughs and probable RIFs in FY14. Regardless of how you feel about the DoD budget, good people will be the ones impacted. My advice to DOD employees is to jump ship at the first opportunity and find work with private companies that don't do business with the DoD.
    Where did you read this?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NV
    Posts
    540
    Likes (Received)
    436
    Thanks (Received)
    43

    Default Re: More Furloughs Coming Your Way

    Quote Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
    Where did you read this?
    airforcetimes.com

    He made these remarks while visiting Charleston AFB

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,270
    Likes (Received)
    264
    Thanks (Received)
    35

    Default Re: More Furloughs Coming Your Way

    Quote Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
    Where did you read this?
    I've seen it in a few places, but here is a start:

    http://www.stripes.com/news/sequestr...-cuts-1.231498
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •