Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts On This...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Thoughts On This...

RAF Lakenheath/Mildenhall/Feltwell holds an annual 4th of July celebration at RAF Feltwell in which the local community can come on base. There are carnival rides and carnival booths, the usual AF demonstrations (think Military Working Dogs), food booths from your favorite private orgs consisting of the greatest Triple Threats in the area, and a fire works show in the evening. In some years past they've managed to bring in aerial demonstrations.

For 2013, the festivities were cancelled with budget concerns and "the type of message it sends" being the reasoning (read below):

4/24/2013 - ROYAL AIR FORCE LAKENHEATH, England -- The 48th Fighter Wing regretfully announces that the annual Independence Day celebration held July 4 at RAF Feltwell has been canceled for 2013, as a matter of fiscal responsibility.

The 4th of July is a day we enjoy sharing with our friends in the local area; however, we had to make the tough decision to cancel this year's event. Nevertheless, the 48th Fighter Wing remains a committed partner in the East Anglia community.

Budget curtailments are expected to persist through Sept. 30, at which point wing leadership will reevaluate based on the next fiscal year budget.

Today is 19 July 2013. On RAF Lakenheath they are having a "Liberty Festival" consisting of carnival rides, carnival booths, and several private orgs with their food booths. There also seemed to be several squadrons out and about playing sports (frisbee football, for example).

Taking into account the cancellation of the 4th of July celebration, the "budget concerns", recent civilian furloughs, and the Air Force having to play Monopoly just to get its combat aircraft flying....what are your thoughts on the "Liberty Festival"?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Thoughts On This...

Went through 8 of these 4th of July things while at Mildenhall. Such a great thing for the community. I'm sure they must bring in so much more money than they cost. And the community, for 100s of miles, loves it. Some things are more important than the money.

However, if it ends up taking away from the mission then it shouldn't happen, but I can't see it doing this.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The people in this country have little understanding of true hardship. The "poor" in this country have homes with a/c, smartphones and other material possessions. Cutting back means nothing to keep the civilians working or the planes flying. Different pot of money my a$$, some General can make that "fun" money into flying money and civilian pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Rules for the sake of rules makes for mindless policy and engenders a lack of respect for those who enact and enforce them.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Went through 8 of these 4th of July things while at Mildenhall. Such a great thing for the community. I'm sure they must bring in so much more money than they cost. And the community, for 100s of miles, loves it. Some things are more important than the money.

However, if it ends up taking away from the mission then it shouldn't happen, but I can't see it doing this.
    I think you should re-read the post...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Life goes on even in tough financial times. Most if not all AF bases have events/down days. I don't see those stopping. Cost is minimum if anything.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    I think you should re-read the post...
    I read the post, and understand the post. I was only stating my opinion that I don't feel the celebration even hints at fiscal irresponsibility and that in this case the community event is important, especially when they will turn around and do a very similar thing on base, omitting the community.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by raustin0017 View Post
    Life goes on even in tough financial times. Most if not all AF bases have events/down days. I don't see those stopping. Cost is minimum if anything.
    I wonder what the cost was in regards to work when taking into account the several private organization booths x 4-5 airmen per booth to run them per shift throughout the day, not considering the inevitable time consuming tasks of "set-up" and "Booster club planning meetings" before the event took place.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I read the post, and understand the post. I was only stating my opinion that I don't feel the celebration even hints at fiscal irresponsibility and that in this case the community event is important, especially when they will turn around and do a very similar thing on base, omitting the community.
    I really do think you need to re-read the post. There is no community event; none. Zero. It was cancelled due to budget concerns back in April. There is now a "Light" version on base.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    RAF Lakenheath/Mildenhall/Feltwell holds an annual 4th of July celebration at RAF Feltwell in which the local community can come on base. ... ... ...
    Taking into account the cancellation of the 4th of July celebration, the "budget concerns", recent civilian furloughs, and the Air Force having to play Monopoly just to get its combat aircraft flying....what are your thoughts on the "Liberty Festival"?
    I always thought it uniquely ironic that the Brits made such a large showing at an event that celebrates American independece from them. The 2 times I had the wife drag me into that Charlie Fox "they" easily outnumbered "us" by at least 4 to 1. Then there was (still is?) the base philosophy that if you weren't on leave you we're working the "event," either officially as a SF Auggie directing traffic, in your Sq booster club booth or in both places on different shifts. Needless to say, I don't miss that about my time at RAFL.
    Rear Admiral Yancy Graham: You watch yourself, Dodge. You are addressing a superior officer!
    Lt. Comd. Dodge: No, merely a higher ranking one.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I've never been to the UK but are you saying that the Brits enjoy celebrating our independence from them? I think it is nice that our two countries are close allies but it just makes me chuckle a little when I think about us putting on an Independence Day celebration in the heart of old King George's home.

Thread Information