Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Base promotion ceremonies

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Base promotion ceremonies

What is the deal with everything having to be recognized at the base level now? When I was younger, promotion ceremonies were done usually in the work center in front of friends, family and people who you actually knew. When people congratulated you, it meant something. Now we are stuck with incredibly long ceremonies that are impersonal, sitting in uncomfortable seats, usually without decent climate control. They feel more like someone's opportunity to get awards package bullets than a genuine effort to recognize folks in a meaningful way. To add to the mess, we force clapping during the AF song at end (although I have noticed that the Creed is mysteriously absent). Then you have the mandatory promotion parties. The selectees are obligated to attend, no one wants to go to them, the food sucks, and you can't really drink most of the time. Are there any bases that don't do Wing ceremonies? I know everyone is different with how they would like to be recognized, but I would bet that most people would enjoy it more with people that matter to them rather than a large crowd that was obligated to go or are there for someone else.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Base promotion ceremonies

When I was in England in the late '80s, we had an A1C realize he made SrA when he got his LES at the end of the month and noticed his new rank on it. He had to stop by clothing sales on his way home to get new chevrons before the next day. When we asked why he didn’t wonder why he had more take home pay at mid-month, he thought was just from his annual clothing allowance.

While we're on this subject, who came up with the promotees wear their new rank stickers idea? We had one guy make TSgt and as a joke, also wore them in the next morning. Our superintendent was not amused so apparently those expire at midnight on release day. I've always felt bad for those people who make it out of cycle - shouldn't they get to wear them at least one afternoon? Come to think of it, I've never been to an "out of cycle" promotion party.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Never saw one till the mid 90s at McGuire. Looking back, most of these ceremonies seemed to be more about bullet opportunities for top3.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I much prefer the squadron level celebrations. They were more personal and less expensive. The wing should stick to the big stuff like AF Ball, Annual awards, etc.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Deploy Me Please View Post
    I much prefer the squadron level celebrations. They were more personal and less expensive. The wing should stick to the big stuff like AF Ball, Annual awards, etc.
    Same here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I don’t know, but the base I am stationed at has pushed it back to the squadron level. Wing level promotions last too long because there are so many people getting promoted that you don’t even know. The squadron level is a whole lot more personal.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Wing ceremonies came about because many squadrons were not doing anything. Intent (as usual) was good. Should be simple...National Anthem, read names, grip and grin, exit stage. 30-45 mins tops. Cost zero. Hopefully 50 or more folks stick around to have a beverage at the club.
    But....soon it grows and grows and grows....
    I helped put together one at Base X. New Wg/CC had a ceremony at the Gp he CC'd before and wanted same thing. Really simple. Once the underling CCs had their tweaks it looked nothing like what he wanted. Rather than interject strongly...I told the TSgt to just sit back and let the Os make their changes. We went in and briefed the Wg/CC on the plan and he redlined every O idea...right in front of them! Classic moment!!!!
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
    meht kcuf
    That is a very creative way to get past the filter. I applaud you.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

They are lame. I recall them getting popular in the late 1990's. About the same time the "Coin" was coming back. The AF needed an identity and some heritage so this is how it evolved. We did ours at the unit level and was a lot of fun. We would cater BBQ and beer at the local park. the Base ceremony is a downer, they ask for $10 per stripe from each promotee up to MSgt. So if its a new SSgt, that’s $40 and MSgt $70. For the Top-2, its a flat $150 each. Even with the inflated entry fee, it doesn’t go far. Single Keg or beer, with a Shirt manning the Tap. Then basic finger foods that last less than 30 minutes. Ones overseas were different, maybe the clubs subsidized them but more/better food and beer was the standard.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
    They are lame. I recall them getting popular in the late 1990's. About the same time the "Coin" was coming back. The AF needed an identity and some heritage so this is how it evolved. We did ours at the unit level and was a lot of fun. We would cater BBQ and beer at the local park. the Base ceremony is a downer, they ask for $10 per stripe from each promotee up to MSgt. So if its a new SSgt, thatís $40 and MSgt $70. For the Top-2, its a flat $150 each. Even with the inflated entry fee, it doesnít go far. Single Keg or beer, with a Shirt manning the Tap. Then basic finger foods that last less than 30 minutes. Ones overseas were different, maybe the clubs subsidized them but more/better food and beer was the standard.
    That's a promotion party, not ceremony. That said, both are equally as lame.

Promotion parties were the promotees pay XX dollars for 4 chicken wings and one beer is ridic. I've been to one and hated every single minute of it. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Promotion ceremonies are simply Squares being Filled by the Top 3 and wannabe E8/E9s. They are ZERO value to the mission and morale IMO. I've never participated in my own, never wanted or felt the need to go. I ALWAYS scheduled leave to make sure I didn't have to go. I've been to many, usually just to keep the gung ho folks from pestering me to fucking death.

Bottom line: They are a waste of time and energy. Move it back to the Squadron level and be done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Rules for the sake of rules makes for mindless policy and engenders a lack of respect for those who enact and enforce them.

Thread Information