Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: We all know military medical can suck at times...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default We all know military medical can suck at times...

But I have seen a trend that seems kind of scary. I have been in 17 years and I have known 6 people with brain tumors in the military. All of them were pretty bad off by the time they were discovered. One had been going to the doc for months complaining of headaches, localized weakness, dizzyness, and numbness.

Another had a complete personality change...night and day difference. He also was complaining of double vision and headaches.

Not sure of the others stories. But I haven't even know ONE person on the civilian side to have a brain tumor in the last 17 years with the exception of my father. How is that sooo many have them in the military? And these six are just the ones I know...I have heard of several others.

Am I the only one? Or is there something that makes it more prevalant in the military?
    Insert clever quote here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: We all know military medical can suck at times...

Not sure if your thread is about the seeming trend of more tumors in the mil or the fact that mil med can't seem to catch them? If it is the latter, what do you expect? They ask you your height, weight, blood pressure, and only see you if they ABSOLUTELY have to. If they do see you what do they do? Give you a gigantic bottle of vitamin M and tell you that should cure all of your problems.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    But I have seen a trend that seems kind of scary. I have been in 17 years and I have known 6 people with brain tumors in the military. All of them were pretty bad off by the time they were discovered. One had been going to the doc for months complaining of headaches, localized weakness, dizzyness, and numbness.

Another had a complete personality change...night and day difference. He also was complaining of double vision and headaches.

Not sure of the others stories. But I haven't even know ONE person on the civilian side to have a brain tumor in the last 17 years with the exception of my father. How is that sooo many have them in the military? And these six are just the ones I know...I have heard of several others.

Am I the only one? Or is there something that makes it more prevalant in the military?

We had a guy at my first base that was diagnosed with a brain tumor, went to the hospital numerous times they finally threatened to charge him with malingering. He finally got diagnosed from off base and then he died a couple of weeks later. It was really sad.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by poindexter View Post
    We had a guy at my first base that was diagnosed with a brain tumor, went to the hospital numerous times they finally threatened to charge him with malingering. He finally got diagnosed from off base and then he died a couple of weeks later. It was really sad.
    I heard a similar story here...but don't actually know the guy.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by poindexter View Post
    That's messed up. While I like being in the military, it is stories like these that make me angry and disappointed in the service.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I'm getting an MRI in two weeks to check for a brain tumor. They decided this on Monday as a possibility to my issues. I really hate the fact that I have to wait two weeks to get the MRI then probably have to wait a few days for the results.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I started having chest pains back in the fall. I made an appt and went to the dr on base. They ran an EKG and found nothing. Thats it, let me go and never even looked into the problem further. I had them off and on for a few months and then they stopped. Wierd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Rules for the sake of rules makes for mindless policy and engenders a lack of respect for those who enact and enforce them.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by commguy228 View Post
    I'm getting an MRI in two weeks to check for a brain tumor. They decided this on Monday as a possibility to my issues. I really hate the fact that I have to wait two weeks to get the MRI then probably have to wait a few days for the results.
    Thats crazy. I was scheduled for my shoulder MRI within 4 days.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I remember when I was still in recruit training at RTC Great Lakes. A day or two after I got that penicillin shot in my ass, I started having flu-like symptoms; and went to sick call.

Right then and there, I knew that military medical was effed up. The Corpsmen there were talking to me like I was there to try to get out of something; even making threats about what they're going to do if nothing is wrong with me. As soon as they got my temperature and got a 104 fever, their tune changed quick. I actually tried to report what was going on, but I was easily shut down. A recruit's words don't matter.

Out in the Fleet, it's normally the same thing - you may not get treated like shit, but they assume that you're only there because you want an an SIQ chit. It didn't really happen to me, because as a PN/PS, I was in the same division as the HM's... but when I was in sick bay doing my DCPO maintenance, I saw how they treated people. Hand them some Motrin (which, apparently, cures every ailment known to man) and an ice pack, and send them on their way!
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."

~Paul Ryan

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post

If it makes you feel better...

I have one too. It was discovered incidentally during a CT scan after a head injury. It's benign, but it is there and is considered stable at this point (have recurring MRI's now).

However, I did have the same type of tumor removed from my back a few years ago after I noticed numbness in my arm and the protrusion of the tumor from the surface of the skin.

On the other note, military medical does suck most of the time. I have posted on here before about my issue and have since had another and another. Just the other day, I was told nothing was wrong with me by a PCM. I went to the ER and was properly diagnosed and given appropriate medicine.
    Last edited by VFFTSGT; 07-18-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Thread Information