Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ever get tired of caring about Airmen?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Ever get tired of caring about Airmen?

So, you bust your hump trying to take care of the Airmen...through a multitude of ways, ensuring the get proper recognition, ensuring the have adequate opportunities to take of their families and careers, looking out for assignments, special duties, making sure they got a turkey for Thanksgiving, checked in with the family while member is deployed, etc...only to see them go out and do something stupid, dui, suicide or whatever.

Any ever get tired of putting all their energy into taking care of their airmen and just want to take care of yourself and your family for a while?

I think I did there at the end...and that had a lot to do with why I retired at 26.5 instead of going for the full 30.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Ever get tired of caring about Airmen?

Yes. And then another one of them restores my faith.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I'm tired of it all, which is why I won't be around much longer. It's time to move on to something else rather than live out my days unhappy like so many I see hoping a small check is there at the end of it all.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

You can't take care of everyone by yourself. The best you can do is to try to help them by giving them the tools to help themselves or referring them to agencies that can do it better than you. At some point, you have to let/make them stand on their own or fall. It's like teaching a kid to ride a bike; you can run beside them with your hand on the back seat until you think it's time to let go or you'll always be running behind them providing them the support they won't take on their own.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Is it the never-ending cycle of nothing ever going away? The work is still there, what's expected keeps increasing (it doesn't seem people have been treated as adults in a long time, that's a lot more BS than I had to deal with in my day). Additional duties? Studying for promotion/taking classes, training (both needed and BS)? Review your troop's plan for traveling on leave? That's a big ol' crock of sh!t, but troops aren't adults anymore. How many deployed locations (taking the trained/skilled troops) are we still supporting and have been since 1990? It gets tiring and I didn't even mention YOUR OWN FAMILY! Remember them?
    Last edited by KellyinAvon; 07-17-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Don't have to worry about it. Never supervised someone! YEAAAAAAA

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

When they were trying to take care of them selves but had problems, hell yea, but dirt bags that brought it upon them selves no way. Lead them to the kool aid, if they don't drink they have to learn the hard way.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
    My cc used to tell me to lead them to it and force them to drink.
    How would you have time to babysit in today's AF? Commanders have a responsibility to protect the integrity of the service by helping those folks out who are not capable of taking care of themselves after given clear expectations of performance and the means to comply. It sounds like yours just liked wasting your time.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I don't mind helping out someone who's willing to put in the work themselves... I DETEST those who expect you to carry them.

Like you MM, I think my dedication is waning; hopefully I'll get back home and the change will get me all the way back in the game. If not, then I might fall a year or two short of 30 lol
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

That is why we now have Key Spouses and if you are a married SNCO - your spouse damn well better be a part of it!!! See, Dependants joined too!

Quote Originally Posted by LogDog_guest View Post
    You can't take care of everyone by yourself.

Thread Information