Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 73

Thread: Does anyone else not want to supervise/be in same general location with a female?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Gym
    Posts
    575
    Likes (Received)
    26
    Thanks (Received)
    9

    Default Does anyone else not want to supervise/be in same general location with a female?

    Not me, cause i'm a professional.
    Last edited by ROAD; 07-30-2013 at 02:29 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,361
    Likes (Received)
    212
    Thanks (Received)
    33

    Default Re: Does anyone else not want to supervise/be in same general location with a female?

    I feel you. I've been thinking about this too now that I soon be moving to a supervisor slot. But at the end of the day if someone wants to submit a BS claim against you they will anyways.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Civilian World
    Posts
    1,347
    Likes (Received)
    218
    Thanks (Received)
    24

    Default Re: Does anyone else not want to supervise/be in same general location with a female?

    Never have counseled in any form a female alone. Always had someone else there or in a public area.

    Like you said, they don't like what you say, they stir up some BS and the overbearing Air Force will over-react. Even if your cleared...you will be a George Zimmerman...with a target on your back, at least until you PCS.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    1,028
    Likes (Received)
    262
    Thanks (Received)
    28

    Default Re: Does anyone else not want to supervise/be in same general location with a female?

    My sport is good...pro level.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    264
    Likes (Received)
    80
    Thanks (Received)
    5

    Default Re: Does anyone else not want to supervise/be in same general location with a female?

    Say someone hid a GoPro and secretly shot time lapse pics or video to cover their ass. But they never mentioned it until there was an accusation. Now the video would clearly show the male was right, but would it stand up in a legal battle cause the person wasn't informed? I've often thought about strategically placing my GoPro for instances like this just to have some proof in case anything ever came up.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Highlands
    Posts
    795
    Likes (Received)
    514
    Thanks (Received)
    41

    Default Re: Does anyone else not want to supervise/be in same general location with a female?

    Quote Originally Posted by CJSmith View Post
    Say someone hid a GoPro and secretly shot time lapse pics or video to cover their ass. But they never mentioned it until there was an accusation. Now the video would clearly show the male was right, but would it stand up in a legal battle cause the person wasn't informed? I've often thought about strategically placing my GoPro for instances like this just to have some proof in case anything ever came up.
    Here is info about it from the civilian side:

    "f there's no state law that specifically allows or prohibits surveillance, courts determine whether an employee's privacy has been violated by looking at two competing interests: the employer's need to conduct surveillance and the employee's reasonable expectation of privacy. An employee who is using the bathroom or getting undressed has a very strong, and very reasonable, expectation of privacy -- and few (if any) employers will have a substantial enough need to justify filming employees doing these things.

    Other activities may also be off-limits for employer surveillance. For example, employers may not secretly film or tape union meetings. Although some courts have ruled against employees who challenged employer surveillance of their activities while on leave for a medical condition or workers' comp injury, these cases often involve fairly clear employee abuse of leave laws. (For example, one employee who was too ill to work was apparently well enough to spend the day at the gym; another took FMLA leave when his request to use vacation time was denied, then recuperated in Las Vegas.) A court could well rule differently if an employer's surveillance strayed into private activities and effectively deterred employees with a legitimate need for leave from exercising their legal rights."

    I would like to think the military would see it the same way...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Highlands
    Posts
    795
    Likes (Received)
    514
    Thanks (Received)
    41

    Default Re: Does anyone else not want to supervise/be in same general location with a female?

    Quote Originally Posted by VFFTSGT View Post
    Never have counseled in any form a female alone. Always had someone else there or in a public area.

    Like you said, they don't like what you say, they stir up some BS and the overbearing Air Force will over-react. Even if your cleared...you will be a George Zimmerman...with a target on your back, at least until you PCS.
    I've simply dealt with minorities and females in the same manner I deal with everyone else (make only one exception in regards to females, explain it below). I honestly believe that nothing fuels their "racial bias political correctness bullshit" fire more than showing favoritism and a willingness to walk on eggshells around them. If one calls their bluff and shows that one's balls and backbone have not been removed and put in a jar, then they will not try to take advantage. Strength goes a long way when dealing with these sorts of people.

    In regards to females - of whatever ethnicity - I've always talked to them with a third party not because I'm scared of what they may say but because it's simply the right thing to do, in my opinion. I may be old-fashioned but I do not think a man should be talking to a woman alone in a room behind closed doors unless that man is her husband or family.
    Last edited by BOSS302; 07-17-2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Forgot part of sentence.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,670
    Likes (Received)
    360
    Thanks (Received)
    57

    Default Re: Does anyone else not want to supervise/be in same general location with a female?

    Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    I've simply dealt with minorities and females in the same manner I deal with everyone else (make only one exception in regards to females, explain it below). I honestly believe that nothing fuels their "racial bias political correctness bullshit" fire more than showing favoritism and a willingness to walk on eggshells around them. If one calls their bluff and shows that one's balls and backbone have not been removed and put in a jar, then they will not try to take advantage. Strength goes a long way when dealing with these sorts of people.

    In regards to females - of whatever ethnicity - I've always talked to them with a third party not because I'm scared of what they may say but because it's simply the right thing to do, in my opinion. I may be old-fashioned but I do not think a man should be talking to a woman alone in a room behind closed doors unless that man is her husband or family.
    Assuming I am understanding you correctly I would agree if approached with true candidness. I won't go into the whole story but many years ago I had a troop who questioned why I gave him (as opposed to others) a particular order and used the word discrimination in the conversation. We were working a mid shift. At the end of the shift I told the troop that he an I had a remount and were going to the Social Actions office where he would have a chance to file a formal complaint against me for this alleged discriminatory behavior. He changed his mind and never used that 'card' again.

    I have witnessed true racial prejudice several times in my life, sometimes on this forum but two things remain true in the face of this. One is that it actually happens a lot less than it is claimed to have happened and two, it is perpetrated by people of every race and ethnic origin.
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    696
    Likes (Received)
    63
    Thanks (Received)
    8

    Default Re: Does anyone else not want to supervise/be in same general location with a female?

    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Assuming I am understanding you correctly I would agree if approached with true candidness. I won't go into the whole story but many years ago I had a troop who questioned why I gave him (as opposed to others) a particular order and used the word discrimination in the conversation. We were working a mid shift. At the end of the shift I told the troop that he an I had a remount and were going to the Social Actions office where he would have a chance to file a formal complaint against me for this alleged discriminatory behavior. He changed his mind and never used that 'card' again.

    I have witnessed true racial prejudice several times in my life, sometimes on this forum but two things remain true in the face of this. One is that it actually happens a lot less than it is claimed to have happened and two, it is perpetrated by people of every race and ethnic origin.

    My experience was a little different. I had the same reservations about supervising females servicemembers. I was the only male supervisor of 7 females for a period of 12 months. I was careful how I conducted myself but I never once had any problems in that regard. Sure I was worried about it, but I just played the straight arrow and didn't socialize with any of them after work, despite there being may opportunities.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NV
    Posts
    540
    Likes (Received)
    437
    Thanks (Received)
    43

    Default Re: Does anyone else not want to supervise/be in same general location with a female?

    Simple formula all males should follow:

    Alcohol + You + Female co-worker (or subordinate) = trouble

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •