Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New to MT

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default New to MT

I'm the spouse of a retired Navy Submariner, living now near an AFB and an NSA in Panama City, FL. I was considering moving onto the AFB (which I believe offers housing to retirees) but I read a few posts here that made me feel as though some active duty personnel resent retirees living on post. Is this a typical situation or a trend or are there just a few that feel this way? My husband, my children, and my father and grandfather all served....I can hardly believe that this is so. Thanks.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: New to MT

...if you were a Navy spouse and you're talking about an Air Force base, why are you saying "on post?"

I'm not active duty anymore, but if I was, I'd say you all can HAVE base housing. I'm not a fan of it. For anyone who is E5 or above, it's a bad deal.
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."

~Paul Ryan

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I didn't realize retires could live on base?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I have heard of government civilians getting on base housing due to a migration of active duty families from base housing to off-base housing and leaving quarters unoccupied. I have never heard of retirees being assigned base housing, but assume it for the same reason. Personally, if you are not keeping an active duty member who has applied for housing I wouldn't care, but think as soon as housing is full and an active duty family applied then non-active duty (government civilians, retirees etc.) should relocate.

Nothing against you or your parents, husband, children etc. who served, but that is the intent of housing is for active duty, and the courtesy extended to non-active duty housing occupants should be secondary to meeting the original intent if a wait list for active duty started.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Privatization of Base Housing has a different set of rules. It is all based on occupancy levels. I don't know the actually percentages...as each contract is different. As occupancy levels drops the 'Contractor' can fill empty houses. The list usually starts with Married Active Duty, Single Active Duty, Retired military, civilians, etc.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
    are privatized military members called contractors?
    Mercenaries.
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Warrior Mercenaries
    Airman Warrior Mercenaries
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Well, @ssings426 , I think you got the truest form of what can only be called a Legit MTF Welcome.
    @Rusty Jones @GodFather @Stalwart @raustin0017 AND @KellyinAvon all in your very first thread... ?!

If this is a sign of things to come, Ticketmaster is gonna be selling out your threads.

Welcome to the MTF!
    - ForumAdmin

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Battlefield Airman Warrior Mercenaries
    Expeditionary Battlefield Airman Warrior Mercenaries (E-BAWMs)
    Oh yeah, hi new submariner guy, welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by KellyinAvon; 07-17-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

"Expeditionary Battlefield Civilian Airman Retired Zoomie Rambo Warrior Merc!" Now To the 'Forum!!"

Thread Information