Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Calling parents....when the troop is a trouble maker.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Calling parents....when the troop is a trouble maker.

Have you ever done it? I was in the office with my Shirt and my troop who had been having major issues when the Shirt called his dad. The guys dad was a Chief. By the end of the conversation my troop was bawling like a baby. Unfortunately...he didn't last much longer in the AF. He was an awesome worker but couldn't get his personal life together.

I had another troop whose mom used to call every Friday. Apparently, each week that he got a good report his mom gave him $100. ODD. He was a super awesome troop. First time she called I put her on hold and asked why his mom was calling me. He explained to me the deal. After that I just told her he was good.

Had another troop who had gotten out. He didn't get kicked out....just got out. Well about two months later his mom called asking for him. I told her he wasn't in any longer...(not realizing it was his mom). She freaked. He hadn't told her he had gotten out. Apparently he used to call her weekly...then when he got out he dropped off the face of the earth.
    Insert clever quote here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Calling parents....when the troop is a trouble maker.

For better or worse...you always end up with the odd ones....lol

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Nope. Not sure how long this has been going on in the Air Force, but this has actually started to become a growing trend in the Navy around 2007. Supposedly, this was actually starting to become encouraged various leadership classes and Navy publications - I believe it was even mentioned in Navy Times.

But that's when I knew things were going to shit. If, as a chain of command, your own authority isn't enough to square this kid away; then either he's a lost cause and should get the boot... or, maybe what needs to be looked at is whether or not the methods of corrective action that are currently used is enough.

I've also heard of situations where people are calling these kids' parents over the stupidest things, and are straight up humiliating them.

Also... this is technically illegal. I suppose it's probably not, since there's no UCMJ article against it; but if you do that as a civilian, you have now just created grounds for a lawsuit.
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 07-15-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."

~Paul Ryan

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Sq Supt...phone rings. Found myself talking to a father who had a complaint. He was very upset his son was in trouble for underage drinking. The A1C was 19. He told his father when he was overseas he was allowed to drink...but at home station it was not allowed. He got busted at the dorm along with a few of his friends. Dad continued to rip my @ss up. About 5 minutes later...I got a chance to speak. Asked him where he lived? Arkansas. What is the legal drinking age in AR? 21. Yep...same here in SC. In Germany...the rules are different. Tell you what...you son is not getting in trouble for drinking. He is getting in trouble for not knowing what Country he was in when he was drinking. Well that's different...he should have known that. Yes sir....he should have...have a great day.

Over the intercom: "A1C Smith...report the Sq Supt office now."

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Last time I sat in on an FTAC ceremony they announced to the "graduates" that they were going to send letters home to their parents telling them "we have you now".

I can only imagine this is in response to parents calling the base. I've never gotten such a call, which is probably fortunate for everyone involved.

Personnally, I think we "have them" from the oath of enlistment. I'm not saying parents shouldn't guide their adult children and give them advice, but calling the workplace is out of line. Id've been furious at that age if my mom had called my workplace, college, etc.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I would have flipped out on someone if a parent called to check on little Johnny or Susie (other than an emergency) while I was in.

It's definitely time to cut the apron strings!

-or-

Cut the soldier from the military.
    Last edited by oih82w8; 07-15-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    success...

I am sure that I am plagiarizing someone.

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice. - Bill Cosby

Oh I Hate To Wait {oih82w8}

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by raustin0017 View Post
    Sq Supt...phone rings. Found myself talking to a father who had a complaint. He was very upset his son was in trouble for underage drinking. The A1C was 19. He told his father when he was overseas he was allowed to drink...but at home station it was not allowed. He got busted at the dorm along with a few of his friends. Dad continued to rip my @ss up. About 5 minutes later...I got a chance to speak. Asked him where he lived? Arkansas. What is the legal drinking age in AR? 21. Yep...same here in SC. In Germany...the rules are different. Tell you what...you son is not getting in trouble for drinking. He is getting in trouble for not knowing what Country he was in when he was drinking. Well that's different...he should have known that. Yes sir....he should have...have a great day.

Over the intercom: "A1C Smith...report the Sq Supt office now."
    You handled that better than I would have. My response probably wouldn't have been printable. Heck, it would have set everyone's computer on fire when they read it. lol
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oih82w8 View Post
    I would have flipped out on someone if a parent called to check on little Johnny or Susie (other than an emergency) while I was in.

It's definitely time to cut the apron strings!

-or-

Cut the soldier from the military.
    Take a look at the BMT Facebook page. Moms posting about how they've haven't stopped crying cinse their "baby" left for basic training. Their baby is a 26 year old man.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I remember as a young Airman, my parents came to visit me. I gave them a tour through the shop. My shop chief pulled them into the office for a bit, had a cup of coffee with them and bragged on me pretty heavily.

My parents were so proud...at every family get together and to all their friends they told about how the sergeant bragged on what a great job I was doing.

I never forgot that...and always did the same when kids brought their parents around, or they happened to call, etc. I've never had a parent call to get a report on their kid, but sometimes they'd call for the kid and either he wasn't there, or we just happened to chat...so, I'd always mention how well their kid was doing, etc.

Since I retired, I had a coworker of mine who had a kid in Okinawa. They had found out through another family member that the kid was being separated under DOS Rollback, then he stopped all contact with family, for months. He wouldn't return phone calls or emails, so they were kind of worried that he was taking in hard and was too embarassed to let his parents know. This coworker was telling me about it and I was able to reach out to a Chief buddy of mine who was able to locate the kid and have a chat with him about his plans, make sure he was okay, and how his family had been worried since he stopped contact. He called them the next day and everything worked out.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Wouldn't dream of it. I can kind of understand though if the kid's mom or dad were in the military and you just wanted them to slap 'em a good one to save you the headache...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Thread Information