Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: HUGE changes to "developmental special duty" selection process!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default HUGE changes to "developmental special duty" selection process!

Applies to:

T-prefix – technical training instructor in core Air Force specialty code (AFSC)
    8A100 – Career assistance advisor (CAA)
    8B000 – Military training instructor (MTI)
    8B100 – Military training leader (MTL)
    8B200 – USAFA military training (AMT)
    8C000 – Airman and Family Readiness Center (A&FRC) NCO
    8F000 – First Sergeant
    8G000 – USAF Honor Guard (NCO positions only)
    8R000 – Recruiter
    8T000 – Professional military education (PME) instructor

Positions will now be nominative. Each career field manager will establish number of bodies they can cut loose (SSgt, TSgt, MSgts). Nominations will be pushed through wing to MAJCOM and each MAJCOM will get a quota of positions twice a year to fill.

We've been talking about deliberatly developing Airmen for a long time. This is a great opportunity to put the right folks in the right place to make a difference, for their careers and for the Air Force. One of the flaws to the current method of taking volunteers and basing the decision on impersonal data points is it doesn't put the right people in the right place. Often people select jobs based on locations, not their suitability for the job and we end up with tech school instructors who can't teach (or set a good example as NCOs and career field experts), MTLs who aren't cut out to be leading, and recruiters who drive more people away than they sign up! Might also help some career fields who don't usually get to release people get to cut a few loose to get a chance to get some broader experience.

Let the discussion begin!
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: HUGE changes to "developmental special duty" selection process!

Agreed. These types of positions are not for just any Joe/Jane who wants a break from their "less than desirable" base. I thought about putting in for instructor duty a while back (1998), but the whole application process and the character statements from everybody up the chain from direct supervisor up to who knows where was too bothersome for me at the time. About two-three years later I was selected as a "non-volunteer" (the most time on station for the MAJCOM, I believe was the reasoning behind the selection process). It was a good tour and I wanted to ride it out until retirement, but AETC changed the tour requirements to the original three years plus a one time, one year extension.

Not everybody is cut out to groom new Airmen, and from what I experienced at the school house, there should be a better filtration process in placing bodies into these positions. These Airmen, who are selected, should do their time and move back into the field.
    success...

I am sure that I am plagiarizing someone.

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice. - Bill Cosby

Oh I Hate To Wait {oih82w8}

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

My fear would be that CCs will nominate thier "dead weight" so they can keep thier shiny pennies. This of course would be the incorrect way to go about it, but there will be pockets of them here and there. I mean really, if I had to send someone to be a TI, it would be hard to stab my best performer in the back. We might deliberatly develop them right out of the Air Force on a voluntary seperation at thier next enlistment.

I am also surprised this did not touch SMSgts as far as SNCOA goes.
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    Applies to:

T-prefix – technical training instructor in core Air Force specialty code (AFSC)
    8A100 – Career assistance advisor (CAA)
    8B000 – Military training instructor (MTI)
    8B100 – Military training leader (MTL)
    8B200 – USAFA military training (AMT)
    8C000 – Airman and Family Readiness Center (A&FRC) NCO
    8F000 – First Sergeant
    8G000 – USAF Honor Guard (NCO positions only)
    8R000 – Recruiter
    8T000 – Professional military education (PME) instructor

Positions will now be nominative. Each career field manager will establish number of bodies they can cut loose (SSgt, TSgt, MSgts). Nominations will be pushed through wing to MAJCOM and each MAJCOM will get a quota of positions twice a year to fill.

We've been talking about deliberatly developing Airmen for a long time. This is a great opportunity to put the right folks in the right place to make a difference, for their careers and for the Air Force. One of the flaws to the current method of taking volunteers and basing the decision on impersonal data points is it doesn't put the right people in the right place. Often people select jobs based on locations, not their suitability for the job and we end up with tech school instructors who can't teach (or set a good example as NCOs and career field experts), MTLs who aren't cut out to be leading, and recruiters who drive more people away than they sign up! Might also help some career fields who don't usually get to release people get to cut a few loose to get a chance to get some broader experience.

Let the discussion begin!
    So, we'll take our best and brightest leaders...remove them from the primary AFSC to do special duties.

More de-emphasizing of the primary duty. To me, it is a much more important duty to lead a shop/flight than it is to teach PME.

The AF seems to constantly want to deglamorize working your primary AFSC, and that's a shame. Some of these positions listed could be cut tomorrow with very little impact

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 20+Years View Post
    My fear would be that CCs will nominate thier "dead weight" so they can keep thier shiny pennies. This of course would be the incorrect way to go about it, but there will be pockets of them here and there. I mean really, if I had to send someone to be a TI, it would be hard to stab my best performer in the back. We might deliberatly develop them right out of the Air Force on a voluntary seperation at thier next enlistment.

I am also surprised this did not touch SMSgts as far as SNCOA goes.
    There is some validity to that... When you think about it, it does make sense. Why would you want to send your best and brightest to be say a Recruiter when you KNOW if they aren't successful, it will literally RUIN their career? Would YOU send your best and brightest to Lackland knowing if they make even a minor error, they will get nailed to the wall?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I know this is new. Here are my initial thoughts.

1) Does nominated = possible non-vol? There are a lot of assignments needing filled. What if SSgt Awesome is a great technician, but no desire to be a recruiter, etc?

2) Do Airmen get nominated for ALL these "developmental special duty" AFSCs simultaneously or individual ones? What If I want to teach or lead, but not be a salesman(recruiter)?

3) Who will handle this at the squadron level and below? New workload/nomination process. "Unofficial" discriminators. Can any level say "no"?

4) I'm assuming this is coming about due to the heightened exposure of inappropriate relationships recently. If that is indeed the case, this will do nothing to help that particular problem.

5) If selected, do assignment possibilities get bounced against "dream sheet", or some other process?
    Must be nice to have breakfest with family....Maintenance guys have got it made-BRUWIN

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I'm not feeling it. I don't see a point at which a sq CC will say to Johnny, "Hey I think you'd be a great PME instructor." "You don't want to? Too bad." The only place where it may help is with making CFMs cough up a couple of bodies. When an NCOA staff is made up of nothing but pharmacy folks, you lose a little something.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I had given some thought to a special duty but prolly wouldnt have made it in the older process with my EPR's not being firewall 5's every year...least that was my perception.

The way this sounds has me nervous, move high performers, keep shitbags, and watch the shit hit the fan lol.
    Formerly Enigmatic Airman...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    So, we'll take our best and brightest leaders...remove them from the primary AFSC to do special duties.

More de-emphasizing of the primary duty. To me, it is a much more important duty to lead a shop/flight than it is to teach PME.

The AF seems to constantly want to deglamorize working your primary AFSC, and that's a shame. Some of these positions listed could be cut tomorrow with very little impact
    Maybe, maybe not. I've seen people in my career field (back in the days when they released them) do really well at some of the duties listed but not so well at their AFSC. Not through lack of effort or talent, but simply their personality type or interest. Not everyone does equally well at everything, so why not give the guy/gal who is OK at their AFSC a shot at something they really, really want to do that suits their skill set better.

Conversely, I'm great at my AFSC but would be awful at a lot of the jobs listed above. I have no desire to do them nor does my introverted personality necessarily have the skills to deal with it. If I got non-vol'd into it I'd do my best, mind, but it would probably not go too well.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate the de-emphasis in today's AF on primary job skills. I think it's insane to weigh volunteerism, education, and politics above job performance.

Of course, none of this really applies to my AFSC as heck will freeze before they release any of us.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. I've seen people in my career field (back in the days when they released them) do really well at some of the duties listed but not so well at their AFSC. Not through lack of effort or talent, but simply their personality type or interest. Not everyone does equally well at everything, so why not give the guy/gal who is OK at their AFSC a shot at something they really, really want to do that suits their skill set better.

Conversely, I'm great at my AFSC but would be awful at a lot of the jobs listed above. I have no desire to do them nor does my introverted personality necessarily have the skills to deal with it. If I got non-vol'd into it I'd do my best, mind, but it would probably not go too well.
    Sounds to me like you are advocating the volunteer system, which is what we have now.

The "new" system that crusty is talking about...sounds a lot more like a non-vol, the best get selected...kind of like CMSgt nominative positions.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate the de-emphasis in today's AF on primary job skills. I think it's insane to weigh volunteerism, education, and politics above job performance.

Of course, none of this really applies to my AFSC as heck will freeze before they release any of us.
    Yeah...it's always a fight with CFMs to get people released for these duties.

Thread Information