Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Commander in Chief has spoken...we should all honor Trayvon Martin

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Our Commander in Chief has spoken...we should all honor Trayvon Martin

I agree, any death is a tragedy
    Last edited by ROAD; 07-30-2013 at 02:30 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Our Commander in Chief has spoken...we should all honor Trayvon Martin

I'm trying to decided if this statemet is worse than "If I had a son". Wasted no time in waving Trayvon's bloody hoodie around to fire up the anti-gun agenda. I will not "honor" this troubled youth. He played the "knock out game" and got his heart blown out by a leagal carrying citizen who was defending himself leagally. President Obama needs to give more honor statements for the servicemen/women who die in service to our nation.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Our Commander in Chief has spoken...we should all honor Trayvon Martin

How about we avoid the tragedy of letting the media convict a man before they have any actual details. As GZ's lawyers said, the death is a tragedy, the whole circus around it was a travesty. Did my former CiC mention that we need to fix that and several of our issues could be much easier resolved?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

This IS a tragedy. A young man is dead. The person that killed him has to live with his actions and will likely never be the same. Regardless of the legal outcome, this case has highlighted (or started) a number of worthwhile discussions about our society and laws. The appeal to calm and reflection on this case with regard to these larger issues is evident in the Presidents statement.

Was Trayvon a wanna be gangsta? Was George a wanna be cop? Had either one of them stopped to think instead of living up to stereotypes, both would likely be alive and none the worse for wear. That is why this is a tragedy. Tragedy in this sense: "a disastrous event marked by great loss and lasting distress and suffering" (Merriam-Webster, calamity) And tragedies that could have been avoided deserve sober reflection and respect for the dead. We extend that respect (read: honor) by consideration of the loss and suffering and how to avoid it in the future.

I think that is what the president meant by "honor."

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

All the POTUS meant was PLEASE DON'T RIOT
    Must be nice to have breakfest with family....Maintenance guys have got it made-BRUWIN

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post
    All the POTUS meant was PLEASE DON'T RIOT
    POTUS needs to keep his oppions to himself. He doesn't have that privilage as POTUS. His comments need to be for the greater good of the USA. Not his popularity.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Tragedy definitely describes this entire incident.

The prosecution screwed up by going for a Grand Slam when they only had the power to hit a Single. The defense had to contend with everyone finding Zimmerman guilty in the court of public opinion. No one would have won no matter which way the verdict went.

Zimmerman will look over his shoulder for the rest of the night and is the only living person who knows the truth about what happened that night.
    Trayvon Martin's parents and family has suffered an unimaginable loss, regardless if they take Zimmerman to civil court and win a judgment against him. Nothing can bring their son back.
    "It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.-Robert E. Lee

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

What about this tragedy? Why hasn't the President spoke about this vicious act?

Baby shot dead in stroller; 2 Georgia [black] teens charged with murder
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/22/us/georgia-baby-killed

Or what about this case of racism?

This is for Trayvon. Kill that white': Six youths 'beat man, 78, in alleged racial revenge attack'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ge-attack.html

And Trayvon was NOT some innocent kid...he had a history (he could have easily been sizing up houses):
    http://theconservativetreehouse.com/...14/#more-61679

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/23/justic...merman-defense

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1353832

I remember the Trayvon's parents saying something to the effect before about just want a trial so justice can prevail. Well, justice prevailed and the state failed to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt.
    Last edited by VFFTSGT; 07-14-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I have an issue with the POTUS singling this case out. I think he should worry more about the violence that occurs every single day across the country, from gangbangers killing innocent bystanders, muggings, rapes, drug trade etc... Why don't we hear about that. What kind of message does it send when he is basically indicting Zimmerman himself, fuck the jury and the system, not good enough because the result was not what he wanted; too bad we don't have a dictatorship. How do you think this case would have ended then?
    Disclaimer: All names, dates and locations have been changed in order to protect the guilty.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I personally think both Zimmerman and Martin made mistakes that night. Zimmerman should've listened to his watch training and the police operator and stopped following Martin. Martin should not have confronted Zimmerman. We'll never know for sure who thre the first punch, but a young man is now dead and zimmerman's life is ruined. I do think Zimmerman should have paid some price for his error in judgement, maybe not murder, but restitution or something like that.

Having said that, the jury made the right call based on the scarce evidence. That doesn't mean Zimmerman is innocent but the prosecution did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was guilty.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Thread Information