Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They Do?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,613
    Likes (Received)
    325
    Thanks (Received)
    41

    Default Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They Do?

    Are you guys seeing the comments from active duty personnel and their spouses on Facebook, when news and military pages post status updates and links to the news about the furlough?

    How they think it's somehow cheaper to use military personnel? I'm a GS-9, and I make less than any NCO in the US military. Yet, I know a GS-9 right now who supervises two E7's, and has even supervised an E8.

    What gives?
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 07-13-2013 at 08:52 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    265
    Likes (Received)
    160
    Thanks (Received)
    20

    Default Re: Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They

    It's not about what each pay grade makes. The enlisted E-1 thru E-9 is a totally different structure than the GS system..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SW. Michigan
    Posts
    214
    Likes (Received)
    44
    Thanks (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They

    I wasn't pissed about the money, GS/GM types made, I was just pissed that they made equivilant money with out the BS. Deployment, Mob lines, Mandatory you name it ect....... and supervised those who did.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    856
    Likes (Received)
    552
    Thanks (Received)
    58

    Default Re: Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They

    Because most AD personnel never fully understand their total "compensation package". Healthcare and retirement plan are the two big differences that come to mind. As a recently new GS (at the very lowest end of the pay scale) I receive an hourly rate. Yes, if I were to work more than my 8hrs per day or more than my 40hrs per week I would receive overtime pay (the same as I did at my previous civilian sector job. But unlike when I was on AD I can't just take time off to go to the doctor, take my son or wife to the doctor, and of course GS do not receive goal days or family days. Want time off...take your annual leave or sick leave.

    Mind you, I'm not complaining...just saying it is not a fair comparison. But until when one retires or separates and joins the civilian workforce does one truly appreciate how well the AD is compensated.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    106
    Likes (Received)
    35
    Thanks (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They

    Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    Because most AD personnel never fully understand their total "compensation package". Healthcare and retirement plan are the two big differences that come to mind. As a recently new GS (at the very lowest end of the pay scale) I receive an hourly rate. Yes, if I were to work more than my 8hrs per day or more than my 40hrs per week I would receive overtime pay (the same as I did at my previous civilian sector job. But unlike when I was on AD I can't just take time off to go to the doctor, take my son or wife to the doctor, and of course GS do not receive goal days or family days. Want time off...take your annual leave or sick leave.

    Mind you, I'm not complaining...just saying it is not a fair comparison. But until when one retires or separates and joins the civilian workforce does one truly appreciate how well the AD is compensated.
    Chief_KO

    I worked a couple of years before I joined the military, so I do appreciate all of the hidden benefits that are afforded to all of us who are active duty. I agree that many active duty personnel do not realize the benefits until it is too late. As far as GS, I work and supervise some that are truly outstanding, but there are some others that are just horrible. The ones that are horrible unfortunately know the Master Labor Agree (MLA) forward and backwards. Any punitive actions never seem to stick.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,613
    Likes (Received)
    325
    Thanks (Received)
    41

    Default Re: Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They

    Quote Originally Posted by TSgt"M" View Post
    I wasn't pissed about the money, GS/GM types made, I was just pissed that they made equivilant money with out the BS. Deployment, Mob lines, Mandatory you name it ect....... and supervised those who did.
    As a GS9, according to the chart, I'm supposed to be equal to a 1LT. Trust me, I get paid nowhere near what a 1LT makes. I get $47,448 a year. I probably have the same net pay as an E3, if that.
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."

    ~Paul Ryan

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NV
    Posts
    539
    Likes (Received)
    436
    Thanks (Received)
    43

    Default Re: Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They

    For the first time in 20+ years I had to pay car registration...$750 for both of our vehicles. Oh yeah, MAJCOM family day? I came to work while the rest of our office (active duty) enjoyed the (well earned) day off. Also, I think DoD wants to quadruple my Tricare rates, but my wife and I will cross that bridge later. I'm not complaining, but just getting used to my new non-active duty life.
    Last edited by FLAPS, USAF (ret); 07-14-2013 at 01:28 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Williamsburg VA
    Posts
    1,879
    Likes (Received)
    356
    Thanks (Received)
    218

    Default Re: Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They

    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    For the first time in 20+ years I had to pay car registration...$750 for both of our vehicles. Oh yeah, MAJCOM family day? I came to work while the rest of our office (active duty) enjoyed the (well earned) day off. Also, I think DoD wants to quadruple my Tricare rates, but my wife and I will cross that bridge later. I'm not complaining, but just getting used to my new non-active duty life.
    "Gosh 'Flaps'; what state are you in? Sounds awful high??"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NV
    Posts
    539
    Likes (Received)
    436
    Thanks (Received)
    43

    Default Re: Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They

    Quote Originally Posted by RobotChicken View Post
    "Gosh 'Flaps'; what state are you in? Sounds awful high??"
    That's total combined cost for both vehicles. And yes, it's high.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Williamsburg VA
    Posts
    1,879
    Likes (Received)
    356
    Thanks (Received)
    218

    Default Re: Why Do Active Duty Personnel Think Government Civilans Make More Money Than They

    "In Virginia it's $45 per car a year."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •