Thread: Possible freeze on PCSs, military promotions

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Possible freeze on PCSs, military promotions

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/freez...moves-1.229866

Failure by Congress to end budget sequestration could force the services in fiscal 2014 to freeze military promotions, suspend recruiting and halt all change-of-station moves, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel warned in letter Wednesday to leaders of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Automatic budget cuts already are “severely damaging military readiness,” Hagel wrote to Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.), committee chairman, and Sen. Jim Inhofe (Okla.), ranking Republican. Without relief, defense spending will take another $52 billion hit in the fiscal year that begins Oct. 1.

If Congress lets that happen, by continuing to refuse to compromise on a debt reduction deal, the Department of Defense will keep a civilian hiring freeze in place, continue to neglect facilities maintenance, deepen cuts to weapon programs and impose “an extremely severe package of military personnel actions including halting all accessions, ending all permanent change-of-station moves, stopping discretionary bonuses and freezing all promotions,” Hagel wrote to introduce a budget “contingency plan.”
    Emphasis (bolded) mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Retirement tip #45: under no circumstances should one do a day over 20.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Possible freeze on PCSs, military promotions

Military playing politics with it's people again trying to get Congress to act so the DOD cronies can get their money. Glad I won't be around for it.

We were fine 10 years ago with a $300 Billion budget and believe we had more people. We don't need a $650 Billion budget.

The hard choices, Hagel wrote, must include temporary caps on military pay raises and higher Tricare fees on military retirees.
    The hard choices are not to stop dumping money in the F-22 and F-35 which are two useless planes, but to further shaft the people...

My unit is still buying award plaques....we apparently have plenty of money.
    Last edited by VFFTSGT; 07-12-2013 at 02:39 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Possible freeze on PCSs, military promotions

I seem to remember a promotion freeze in the early 80s (under Reagan)...guys with line numbers kept getting their promotions put off further and further.

Anyone else remember that? I'm vague on it.

Thread Information