Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: "Best" LOC/LOR You Ever Received

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default "Best" LOC/LOR You Ever Received

Letters of Counseling/Letters of Reprimand are administrative tools to identify and correct negative behavior. We've all gotten at least one in our career...if you haven't then either 1. You haven't done anything, 2. You haven't done anything wrong, or 3. Your supervision is too lazy/scared to put anything in writing.
    No one likes getting negative anything, but did you ever receive an LOC/LOR that later (after your emotion settles down) you look back and say "I deserved that" and better yet you learned something from the experience.

As a fairly new MSgt I thought I was pretty hot $hit, riding a big ol' positive wave. Everything was golden, everything I touched was coming up roses. Policy change came out that had me and my section all up in arms. I wrote a very detailed email expressing my concerns over said new policy and sent to my civilian manager on the sq staff (and CC'd my section to let them know I was fighting for them). Said civilian forwarded email to his leadership and to Sq/CC.

Sq/CC called me in the next day and presented me with an LOR for "Insubordination for usurping the policy of the NAF/CC". My whole world collapsed...my future looked over...SMSgt/CMSgt??? not even possible now...

After a couple of days I got over it and realized 1. Do not think the Sq/CC is not your friend, he/she is the Commander. He deserved my respect to speak to him behind closed doors on this matter. 2. There is more to a policy than what is written, after he & I talked I got the back story and how I should have come to him to discuss my concerns, not hide behind my keyboard. 3. As a leader, you can fight for your people...and more often than not the fight is never seen or heard by your people.

The Sq/CC asked me how I was going to resolve this situation...since I opened the door and stirred the pot between my section and sq (and NAF) leadership. The only thing I could do was to call a meeting of my section and explain to them how what I did was wrong (method) and that issues like this should be handled face-to-face with a discussion. He agreed and later that day that's exactly what I did.

While that LOR stung me, I respected that CC as one of the best I ever served with. I definitely learned a lot from the situation and he never held it against me. Once I made the recovery everything was back on track like it was before.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: "Best" LOC/LOR You Ever Received

I once got an LOR for opening my door to my dorm room at like 2200 with no shirt on....guy at the door was a SSgt and I have pierced nipples... He told the TSgt he was gonna let it slide, wrote it up, submitted it, and went on leave.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    and he never held it against me. Once I made the recovery everything was back on track like it was before.
    And this is the most critical part of the whole process. He corrected the behavior, you realized you were wrong and did your best to right that wrong, and everyone moved on. This made it a learning experience. Sadly, all too often even if you correct the behavior and try to move on, they or others in the chain hold it against you. One minor mistake winds up ruining a tour or even a career, which is not the point of the system.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

My favorite was for a failed room inspection. The Wing Commander wanted to do a surprise dorm walk through at 1400 and she announced to the shirts she was doing this around 0900 that morning. My room was a mess because I had been working as a security forces augmentee for the last week guarding the armory for an exercise. The shift I was on was 0600-1800. The shirt decided to do a walk through and make sure all of our rooms were good to go. When she came accross mine she told my supervisor it must be cleaned before 1400. The problem was that my supervisor could not pull me from guarding the armory so I could go clean my room. The shirt made my supervisor and his supervisor clean my room. They spent about 2 hours getting it white glove inspection ready. When I returned to my room I had a note that said to see them the next day at work. When I went in they wrote me an LOC which did not even go in my PIF. I happily thanked them for the free cleaning service and signed the LOC.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I'm not BSing on this one. In 1982, I got a letter of counseling for dereliction of duty while performing bay orderly. As an airman basic, the sergeant ordered me to straighten out the supply cabinet in the laundry room. I placed the glass cleaner behind the toilet paper. Guess my rationale that people use more toilet paper than glass cleaner was wrong. Dumb move. The sergeant thought that it looked terrible and unmilitary. She was madder than all get out and gave me formal LOC over the deal. 33 years later, in my humble opinion, she is still a dumb a$$.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Was at Elmendorf. Took leave from Sat to the following Friday for a fly out brown bear hunting trip just north of Kodak Island. Day 2 a huge storm hit. 75+ mph winds...lasted 3-days. High winds and low cloud cover prevented the float-plane picking us up Friday morning. Planned on 6-days trip. Day 12...plane was finally able to pick us up. Low on food, and unable to start fire for last 3-days...we were very happy to be rescued. Our spouses had kept Sq leadership informed of situation.

Walked in to Sq first day back....everyone happy we were okay. TSgt supervisor called us both in his office and wanted us to sign LOC? Asked what for? He told us we should have taken 2-3 weeks leave for the trip. We took 7-days leave for a 6-day trip. He demanded we sign LOC....told him to go screw himself...was not going to sign it and left his office laughing. 30 minutes later called in Shirts office. He had a LOR for disrespect to an NCO. Crap...did not think this all the way through. Signed LOR. Won the battle...lost the war. Was it worth it? Yes...shot 9' Brown Bear.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by raustin0017 View Post
    Was at Elmendorf. Took leave from Sat to the following Friday for a fly out brown bear hunting trip just north of Kodak Island. Day 2 a huge storm hit. 75+ mph winds...lasted 3-days. High winds and low cloud cover prevented the float-plane picking us up Friday morning. Planned on 6-days trip. Day 12...plane was finally able to pick us up. Low on food, and unable to start fire for last 3-days...we were very happy to be rescued. Our spouses had kept Sq leadership informed of situation.

Walked in to Sq first day back....everyone happy we were okay. TSgt supervisor called us both in his office and wanted us to sign LOC? Asked what for? He told us we should have taken 2-3 weeks leave for the trip. We took 7-days leave for a 6-day trip. He demanded we sign LOC....told him to go screw himself...was not going to sign it and left his office laughing. 30 minutes later called in Shirts office. He had a LOR for disrespect to an NCO. Crap...did not think this all the way through. Signed LOR. Won the battle...lost the war. Was it worth it? Yes...shot 9' Brown Bear.
    MURDERER! *in my best PETA nut impersonation* jk...

I got an LOC from my Chief for forwarding an inappropriate joke email using the government network. I got my network access revoked and had to reaccomplish Info Awareness and all that good stuff all over again. Funny thing is the Chief didn't think I deserved paperwork because he thought the joke was funny as hell and didn't think it was the least bit inappropriate. But since the commander was aware of the situation, he demanded I get paperwork. Chief presented the LOC, had me sign it, and slid it into his desk. Told me that it'd get shredded if I stayed out of trouble for the next 3 months. After that, I thought twice about forwarding jokes at work.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I earned both of them.

One, failed my CDC EOC. It happens when you dont study and are overly cocky.

The other one was in regards to grooming standards. I had an awesome mustache. I had been growing it for about a month. My sup left our fob went down to BIAP or a planning meeting. Our group shirt and CMSgt made a random visit up to our FOB. The CMSgt high fived me for my awesome mustache, and high fived my supervisor for some kick ass sideburns. Our sup comes back on a 130 and the shirt is waiting at the ramp and demands he gives us LOCs. Well he gives them to us and we never see or hear about them again. Never made it to my file anywhere.

She was also our group shirt back at home station. She look more like a man when she did put make up on. Not a very good human, and a horrible shirt. My buddies son got diagnosed with leukemia while he was deployed and she kept putting off his flight home. This took 4 days just to get him to kuwait. So he took it into his own hands and got himself a flight in 3 hours. She hated males. There needs to be a vetting process for the shirts of a unit that is for an all male AFSC. Not saying it needs to be a guy, but make sure she can tolerate cavemen.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

As a MSgt at Base X in Korea, the superintendent I had hated the person (and office) I replaced. Whatever her problems and issues were now became mine. This Super DB had a slide fetish and I am colorblind. After I was there about 2 weeks, some of the slide colors were wrong. I got an LOR for this. I spent the next 4 months (the rest of his time there) purposely making minor errors just to see if he would catch them. I was retiring when I got back to my follow on and had no further career aspirations so agrivating him became my aspiration. I hope he is a regular here and reads this.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fish View Post
    As a MSgt at Base X in Korea, the superintendent I had hated the person (and office) I replaced. Whatever her problems and issues were now became mine. This Super DB had a slide fetish and I am colorblind. After I was there about 2 weeks, some of the slide colors were wrong. I got an LOR for this. I spent the next 4 months (the rest of his time there) purposely making minor errors just to see if he would catch them. I was retiring when I got back to my follow on and had no further career aspirations so agrivating him became my aspiration. I hope he is a regular here and reads this.
    You're that SOB I was always correcting!!!!!! I tried to get your follow on CNX'd but NOOO I didnt have the powers!!!

OK, that was a horrible try. My bad. The most dangerous person in the AF is a guy with nothing to lose.

Thread Information