Thread: I'm New Here.. Welder!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default I'm New Here.. Welder!

Hey People, im new to the forums and the Military, Im soon to join the Air force in the Air National Guard. Im kinda older to join (29YO) my wife is already in. its something i would have never thought about in High school, actually it was least on my mind. The further i got in my current job as a (Welder) for 10 years, i thought why not use my skills in a better way?.... I saw on the Air force website about Aircraft Metals Technology and became suddenly interested.. The more i read the more i kinda convinced myself and wife to enlist.. I have not yet, but i want to in the worst way... I guess my question is to the AMT's in this forum, How is it? im sure its good, and ill probably fit in. is it mostly TIG for the welding part? Stainless? Inconel? Aluminum? Mild steel?

Thanks for any Input!

-Brendon

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: I'm New Here.. Welder!

Not sure how many, if any AMT people will be on this forum. Which ANG unit are you looking to join. Not every unit employs people in that career field. Go talk to your local Guard recruiter to find out. You can also talk to the unit direct. If you live local to them you might be able to call and arrange for a visit. One thing I will caution you with. If you join thinking that you are just going to be a welder, you might be dissapointed. You didn't really say where you are. If you are near a major aircraft depot, you might be a busy dude welding. If not, you will probably find yourself doing all sorts of odd jobs between weld jobs. Good luck.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Welcome to the forum! Good advice from 'ttribe'....knowledge is power and you need to find out more about the unit closest to you. Also...never too late to learn a new skill set. Good luck.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Welcome to the forum!
    - ForumAdmin

Thread Information