Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Glad to see the AF no longer has a budget problem

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Glad to see the AF no longer has a budget problem

so it can field it's own unique utility uniforms!

Back when they were called "fatigues", the USAF was always an add-on purchaser to Army contracts due to the cost savings of bulk purchasing. When the Army moved from cotton-sateen (which required starch - hence the term "to break starch") to permanent press fatigues the AF said no way - until they saw their costs double or triple. Same thing when the Army moved from fatigues to BDUs. But now there doesn't seem to be the same pressure to curb costs.

Oh, on a trivia side note, back before BDUs, the AF didn't allow subdued rank insignia, even for those of use in TACPs with Amy combat units, thus we had a problem with our "go-to-war" kits. Now officers could just buy Army subdued insignia, but we ROMADs were stuck with our blue-and-silver stripes making us a more visible target. Solution: OD green dye! The dye turned the blue to black and the silver to OD green.
    Sincerely,
    Dennis B. Swaney, MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
    27570/30474

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Glad to see the AF no longer has a budget problem

I thought I read that the entire DOD was going to start wearing the same uniform again.

Somewhere around the end of 2014 or so I believe?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KC-10 FE View Post
    I thought I read that the entire DOD was going to start wearing the same uniform again.

Somewhere around the end of 2014 or so I believe?
    Yeah, I think this is why the uniform thing is becoming 'new' news again when it's really old news. I was thinking maybe the OP didn't know the unique uniform (wasteful spending) thing started years ago.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

OH, I knew it; I'm just a tad slow on following through on intentions. What is happening AFAIK, is that Congress would like that; did/will they mandate it in the DOD budget?
    Sincerely,
    Dennis B. Swaney, MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
    27570/30474

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Rumor has it that OCP's (Multicam) is going to be the universal uniform. If true, good idea.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Rumor has it that OCP's (Multicam) is going to be the universal uniform. If true, good idea.
    I bet we go back to wearing blues all the time so we can stand apart and be unique and look "professional"...

Glad I won't be around for it.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

That's how it should be. After all, we're one team, one fight, right? But of course top managership from all the services wants to have a d*ck measuring contest with the others and stand out or come up with the "best" uniform. Until they stop trying to one up one another, we'll never see one universal uniform.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Renazance View Post
    That's how it should be. After all, we're one team, one fight, right? But of course top managership from all the services wants to have a d*ck measuring contest with the others and stand out or come up with the "best" uniform. Until they stop trying to one up one another, we'll never see one universal uniform.
    I don't think it is so much as wanting the "best" uniform, but more about standing out in the crowd. God forbid if you have a Marine and an Airmen standing side by side and they look the same (except for a frumpy uniform on the Airmen of course), the Marines won't be able to handle that. They install how "special" (take that however you please)we are from the get go, and egos won't allow them to not have a unique uniform.

Personally, I think it is a fine idea, as long as the uniform is suited for the job. Infantry should have a unique uniform as well as maintenance type jobs. Office warriors can wear their Hawaiian shirts and khaki shorts so they are always ready to leave early and play a round of golf.
    Disclaimer: All names, dates and locations have been changed in order to protect the guilty.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

We need to have a Garrison uniform for all of the military. Plain green, BDU, ABU whatever it is. Then have a Combat uniform for actual combat deployed personel. DCU, Mulitcam, ERDL. What ever we need for that area of the world.

It doesnt make sense for change the uniform for the 90 percent of the Military that doesnt deploy.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LFAWes View Post
    We need to have a Garrison uniform for all of the military. Plain green, BDU, ABU whatever it is. Then have a Combat uniform for actual combat deployed personel. DCU, Mulitcam, ERDL. What ever we need for that area of the world.

It doesnt make sense for change the uniform for the 90 percent of the Military that doesnt deploy.
    But how would they feel like they're contributing to the fight if they don't get to wear the same cool uniform as the combat personnel? Gotta wear the battle rattle in the office to feel like the warriors we're made to think we are.

Thread Information