Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Congress looking at PCS cuts

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Congress looking at PCS cuts

The DoD spends $5 Billion annually on PCS moves. That is a low hanging fruit that Congress is looking at hopping on. I agree with it.

Admittedly, I was a homesteader at one point in my career. It was for a reason. If I left England while working F-111s then I was only headed one of two places....Mountain Home or Cannon. I had done my time in New Mexico and I was never going back. Eventually I left England after Lakenheath had swapped from F-111s to F-15s. I eventually got an F-15 SEI from it and then decided to finally leave. I went off to a great assignment at Luke.

That being said, while I was homesteading in England I used to hear a lot of griping about people that had been there too long and that they needed "new challenges." However, sending me from one F-111 base to another was hardly a new challenge. It was the same old airplane doing the same old thing. I failed to understand how this would be a "new breath of experience" for me. It was a complete waste of PCS money.

Some would argue that homesteading is not fair. I disagree. The AF loses enough people through attrition (especially these days) that everybody will get their shot eventually. OK...you may have to wait a few extra years than you do now, but one day you will move.

The DoD wastes so much money on unneccessary PSC's, particularly with officers. They barely learn their current job and they are off on a new adventure. It's ridiculous.

Congress needs to stop the BS PCS's...the DoD certainly won't do anything on their end to fix it.
    Last edited by BRUWIN; 07-08-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Congress looking at PCS cuts

I agree about cutting PCS costs. I moved 4 times in 6 years and it was for no good reason. A great place to cut serious PCS costs would be for officers. I know in the Army it is rare for an officer to be in one place for more than two years. I understand all the requirements to groom and grow, but there must be ways to do it without executing a cost move every two years. Let them have a command, and instead of moving them to another installation just find a billet on the same base.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I can definitely see what you mean regarding PCS's. I am currently at my seventh assignment in 14 years. Keep in mind that my previous assignment was a three year tour too.

Minot 18months
    Germany 2 years
    Korea 1 year
    Lajes 17 months
    Hurlburt 2 years 7 months
    Japan 3 years
    Wackland 18 months and counting...(Code 50)

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

So what do you do for enlisted? You can already stay at a base for at least 6 years without raising too many eybrows. You can stay for 10-12 at a big base and raise a few eyebrows but you were able to move around a little on the base you still wont raise too many. I know it varies among AFSC but I dont think that is a bad thing. The only thing I can see wrong is getting stuck at a highly undesirable base but there will always be Korea. What about officers, same thing as now but just make those moves happen at three years? Let people stay overseas for longer? Im not big into tons of PCSs but it's nice to put some roots down even though thats not what the military is traditionally built on. If you did 20ish years what would be a normal amount of assignments (not counting BMT and AIT)? Im currently at three and would be happy to keep it that way. Most in my AFSC are about 5, some in the 7-8 range.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

How about 5 year tours with the option on the individuals side to stay in place for 10 years. To know that after five years you can leave but choose to stay where you are increases your motivation a little. But if you get Cannon or Minot then you would be pissed about that 5 year tour.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

When will Congress stop dumping the billions of dollars into the Military Industrial Complex (Contractors) who cannot produce a worthwhile plane or any equipment for that matter than doesn't have continual (engineered) problems that require more money to fix?

Nope...lets cut the people, the QoL programs, the commissary, civilian paychecks (granted some deserve it, but not all), increase retiree healthcare cost, etc. but not one word on any major defense program cuts.

Examples...
    A test launching of an advanced missile-defense interceptor failed to hit its target high over the Pacific Ocean, the Pentagon said on Friday, four months after the Obama administration announced that it would spend $1 billion to increase the number of interceptors along the West Coast in response to verbal threats from North Korea.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/06/us...test.html?_r=0

The Joint Strike Fighter is the Pentagon’s most expensive weapons acquisition program, estimated cost of $391 billion to develop and build 2,457 Lightning II aircraft.
    http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...-software.html
    Last edited by VFFTSGT; 07-08-2013 at 11:34 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

As Airborne already mentioned, it is not difficult for enlisted to be at a base for 6 to 10 years stateside. We have all seen it. There was a person in my squadron who was there for almost 13 years before he finally got orders to Korea. It would obviously be cheaper not to move people around. If people can go this long under the current system without being identified to PCS, I would not be surprised that if the new policy were to take effect that people could theoretically go their entire career at one base.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Selfishly, I hope they don't extend tour lengths even further. They've already extended the "normal" CONUS tour length to 48 months, but thankfully, the intel officer career field has been moving people earlier (not always). I get itching to move at 24 months, so extending me beyond 36 would result in me pushing the retirement button. Maybe that's win/win for the AF!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
    Guess who I heard complaining my
    Whole career about homesteading
    And gaming the system
    By staying at a base?

Yep...Chiefs.
    Yep...heard it from many Chiefs and do you know why? Because someone that has been around awhile tends to know the job better than leadership and we can't have that. This is why ANG aicraft maintainers blow away anybody on the active duty side. The experience is so much more available. The ANG are losing platforms left and right because the active duty side of the house knows this and despise that fact. Both ANG aircrews and maintainers have a pretty strong experience base. Since AD controls the purse strings...or thinks they do...the ANG is paying the price for being better at their job.

The only gripe I've ever had about someone staying in one place too long is when it's only done for the privileged few. Like when mandatory moves are issued at a base due to downsizing and the guy who has 1 year TOS is told he has to PCS and someone with the same rank who has 16 years TOS gets to stay. I've watched that play out.
    Last edited by BRUWIN; 07-09-2013 at 03:56 AM.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    As Airborne already mentioned, it is not difficult for enlisted to be at a base for 6 to 10 years stateside. We have all seen it. There was a person in my squadron who was there for almost 13 years before he finally got orders to Korea. It would obviously be cheaper not to move people around. If people can go this long under the current system without being identified to PCS, I would not be surprised that if the new policy were to take effect that people could theoretically go their entire career at one base.
    In 2001, we spent $316 Billion on Defense and this was before the first wave all the major PCS changes a few years ago.

FY13 is $614B and FY14 is $615 Billion. Why could we PCS all the time in 2001 on a lesser budget but not in 2014?

The war is the common excuse for the increase expense but the war budget this year is only around $80 Billion.

http://comptroller.defense.gov/budget.html
    Last edited by VFFTSGT; 07-08-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Thread Information