Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Covering absent furloughed civilians with troops

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Covering absent furloughed civilians with troops

There's a memo from the Assistant SECDEF for Readiness and Force Management discussing the furlough. My favorite part is "Accordingly, Component heads, installation commanders, and line managers shall take steps to manage workload, but must ensure that borrowed military manpower is not used to compensate for work resulting from a civilian furlough."

1. Any bets on how often the AD folks will see this violated under the guise of managing workload?
    2. Is it "managing workload" to detail an Airman to answer the Colonel's secretary's phone during a furlough day?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Covering absent furloughed civilians with troops

If I don't do the civilians job on Friday then I may as well go home.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

"More less with less! LMAO!"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SENDBILLMONEY View Post
    There's a memo from the Assistant SECDEF for Readiness and Force Management discussing the furlough. My favorite part is "Accordingly, Component heads, installation commanders, and line managers shall take steps to manage workload, but must ensure that borrowed military manpower is not used to compensate for work resulting from a civilian furlough."

1. Any bets on how often the AD folks will see this violated under the guise of managing workload?
    2. Is it "managing workload" to detail an Airman to answer the Colonel's secretary's phone during a furlough day?
    Another reason and probably the number one reason the military should be made up of MILITARY personnel not civilians. If we were 100% military, we would not have this problem today...they would be forced to make cuts elsewhere but not the people's paychecks.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Furlough days will turn into 3 hour PT sessions followed by 1 hour to shower then a 4 hour lunch.......

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I would bet most work centers will not see any negative effect on overall mission success.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by raustin0017 View Post
    I would bet most work centers will not see any negative effect on overall mission success.
    I respectfully disagree with your post. There are certain areas where civilians are able to do a better job than a military person i.e. Wing Plans Rep, IDO, Support Agreements Manager, etc. These jobs take an extraordinary amount of time to become proficient. Many active duty military personnel must meet additional requirements that take them out of the work center for an extended period of time or permanently. These additional requirements include deployment, PME, PCS, PCA, etc. Also, AFSCs have consolidated over the years requiring enlisted members to be familiar with a wide range of duties. It is extremely difficult to become an expert today in the AF in any one area since you need to move around to show growth potential for promotion purposes. In my opinion, if you want an all military force, then the entire promotion system for both officer and enlisted personnel will require restructuring. Are there too many GS employees? Are most of them over paid? Yes to both questions. Just my 2 cents. For the record, I am a GS 9 (pay equal to a jeep SSgt).
    You don't know what you have done forgetting the F.
    -ske4za

One person shits their pants and everyone gets to wear a diaper.
    -Vrake

Girlfriends are better than wives
    -Tak

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

It also depends on what command you are in. Some commands are more civilian heavy than others.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by UH1FE View Post
    Furlough days will turn into 3 hour PT sessions followed by 1 hour to shower then a 4 hour lunch.......
    I'm OK with that.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by raustin0017 View Post
    I would bet most Airmen and thier families will be the ones expereincing the negative effects. Because in the AF eyes the mission comes above everything else. Including safety.

Thread Information