Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: JP4 and Benzene and Leukemia

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default JP4 and Benzene and Leukemia

I am trying to find out if anyone else has had health issues regarding the subject matter.

Part of my job as an Avionics Instrument Tech (1974-1983) was to enter fuel tanks to replace defective wiring and probes. We did not have protective gear such as respirators etc. All we had were white coveralls and an air hose stuck into the tank access panel.

I was diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) in May 2012. The MSDS sheet for JP4 states that it is a cause of leukemia. Something is killing off my red blood cells before they mature and I have to have blood transfusions about every 3 weeks. The light chemo (pill and injections) have not worked. The VA is going to remove my spleen since it has doubled in size and the docs hope this will help. If not, it is on to the heavy duty chemo and then bone marrow transplant.

The VA keeps returning my claim as needing more info which I am out of.

Is anyone else out there going through this crap too? I need some ideas ! Civilian lawyers turn their back as soon as I say I smoke.

Thanks in advance !

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: JP4 and Benzene and Leukemia

Will pray all goes well for you my Brother.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I am an Industrial Hygienist. I will tell you the best option is to walk in to base legal and file of Freedom of Information request for the last 20 years of Industrial Hygiene surveys and any environmental/personal air monitoring conducted. Go back 20 years no matter if they try to tell you DOEHRS doesnt go back that far. Then get a lawyer and stop telling people you smoke. You can not be positive this is the fault of the government but they can not be positive it isnt. You may also want o establish an FB or something looking for others going thru the same thing. Remember-the VA is not there to help you but to protect the Government.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Can someone tell me the differences in the fuels used in aircraft? I was at a small outpost where we ran JP-4 in our diesels, jet A in aircraft or any flaver of the month.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie80 View Post
    I am an Industrial Hygienist. I will tell you the best option is to walk in to base legal and file of Freedom of Information request for the last 20 years of Industrial Hygiene surveys and any environmental/personal air monitoring conducted. Go back 20 years no matter if they try to tell you DOEHRS doesnt go back that far. Then get a lawyer and stop telling people you smoke. You can not be positive this is the fault of the government but they can not be positive it isnt. You may also want o establish an FB or something looking for others going thru the same thing. Remember-the VA is not there to help you but to protect the Government.
    Oh and I should of been more clear. You are not looking for personal air sampling done specifically for you. It probably doesnt exist. You are looking for the SEG. Similar Exposure Group. Say refuellers for C130 at Camp X etc.

If you were to call my office for the info, I would not provide it. Remember I work for the Government and the only thing that makes me jump is an FOI. Think Camp Lejuene water. I hope this helps.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

GodFather, Thank you for all the links. I am going to print some of them and take them to my local VSO to add to my file with the VA.

Maggie80, Thank you for the info. I had not thought of that path. Yepper, gots to stop telling them I smoke. I am going to quit before my surgery ! Honest !

raustin0017, Thank you for the prayers Bro !

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

GodFather, the first link (bob--notes) in your last post is something I started a while back. I had no idea it could be found.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Terribly sorry to hear you are going through this OP, good luck and god speed in your recovery.

Godfather nice work on the information

hope for the best buddy
    I Support unisex bathrooms and unisex lockerroom..

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
    Would you like me to delete your bob link for privacy?
    If you want me to dig some more, let me know.
    Best of luck brother!

Steve

The link is OK but thanks for asking. Brother, I can use all the shovels available !!! LOL

One of your links showed me a medicine that I have not tried yet! I will talk to my Doc in the morning.

Hulk, thanks for the wishes! I will beat this stuff with all the support I have. Got to keep a positive outlook and keep on rockin !!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by f4mechanic View Post
    Yepper, gots to stop telling them I smoke.
    First off, I wish you all the best in your fight. I can't imagine what you must be going through. But a word of advice:

Don't try to hide the fact that you smoke / smoked. Those will try to deny your claim have lawyers, too. Hiding something like that would make you look bad should it ever get to the appeals process. Best bet is just to be honest. Smoking in and of itself is very very difficult to link to your condition.

Just my two cents... I mean no offense.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Thread Information