Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Going to college.. Should it be the parents responsibility or the kids?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Going to college.. Should it be the parents responsibility or the kids?

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    With colleges these days seeming to get more and more costly, should it fall on the parents to be required to save up to pay for it should they want their little darlings to go, or should it be the kid's requirement to get the money?
    I don't know. I'm of two minds; when I was younger my parents weren't going to pay a dime. It was on me to finance my own college education and the best way to do that, according to my dad, was to join the military. I guess that did work out, eventually (it took me two extra years to finish my Bachelor of Arts than it would have had I gone the traditional college route), after incurring some student loan debt and then biting the bullet after my freshman year and joining the Air Force. For my kids, I've transferred each of them 18 months of the GI Bill benefit, so that should cover about half of their college each. On the one hand, I would want my kids to enjoy the full college experience, but on the other, you don't always appreciate things when they're handed to you. Perhaps they could do ROTC. //troll mode// Under no circumstances would I encourage them to enlist in the military //troll mode//

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Going to college.. Should it be the parents responsibility or the kids?

With colleges these days seeming to get more and more costly, should it fall on the parents to be required to save up to pay for it should they want their little darlings to go, or should it be the kid's requirement to get the money?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Going to college.. Should it be the parents responsibility or the kids?

I think it should be the kids. I would help with incidentals and other small expenses, but I believe they would value the education more if they were the ones footing the bill.
    Disclaimer: All names, dates and locations have been changed in order to protect the guilty.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    I don't know. I'm of two minds; when I was younger my parents weren't going to pay a dime. It was on me to finance my own college education and the best way to do that, according to my dad, was to join the military. I guess that did work out, eventually (it took me two extra years to finish my Bachelor of Arts than it would have had I gone the traditional college route), after incurring some student loan debt and then biting the bullet after my freshman year and joining the Air Force. For my kids, I've transferred each of them 18 months of the GI Bill benefit, so that should cover about half of their college each. On the one hand, I would want my kids to enjoy the full college experience, but on the other, you don't always appreciate things when they're handed to you. Perhaps they could do ROTC. //troll mode// Under no circumstances would I encourage them to enlist in the military //troll mode//
    If for whatever reason they're not selected for ROTC, and let's face it, not everyone who wants that scholarship can get it, what other options would you encourage to pay off that second half? Working is always an option, but enlisting for another GI bill really isn't a bad idea.
    Beer is proof that God loves us.
    Benjamin Franklin

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Go to college while mom and pop foot the bill. Play some ball, drink beer, and chase hotties. Drop out after a couple of years.

Enlist in the Coast Guard, and become a Boatswain's Mate. Run small boats, such as search and rescue, and bouy tending. Separate after initial enlistment.

Apply for, and obtain, a Charter boat captain's license. Move to Florida, and use a VA loan to buy a Hatterus Sportfisherman, about forty-some foot.

Maintain a dock in the Florida Keys, while cruising through the Panama Canal to fish for big bill-fish off the west coast of Central America.

While docked, back at the Keys, have a couple of blondes, in bikinis, scrubbing the Hatterus' decks while sitting around, drinking beer!

Send mom and dad "wish you were here" cards, post stamped from the Keys.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

My parents laid it out for me early on in high school "We don't have the money to put you in college, so you have to enlist or pay for it yourself." So I went ahead and joined up.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Squid View Post
    If for whatever reason they're not selected for ROTC, and let's face it, not everyone who wants that scholarship can get it, what other options would you encourage to pay off that second half? Working is always an option, but enlisting for another GI bill really isn't a bad idea.
    Yup.. They could sign up for 3 years and get the GI bill's benefits. OR go in for 4 years and get as much of their college done as possible while IN using Tuition assistance.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Thumbs up Re: Going to college.. Should it be the parents responsibility or the kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Go to college while mom and pop foot the bill. Play some ball, drink beer, and chase hotties. Drop out after a couple of years.

Enlist in the Coast Guard, and become a Boatswain's Mate. Run small boats, such as search and rescue, and bouy tending. Separate after initial enlistment.

Apply for, and obtain, a Charter boat captain's license. Move to Florida, and use a VA loan to buy a Hatterus Sportfisherman, about forty-some foot.

Maintain a dock in the Florida Keys, while cruising through the Panama Canal to fish for big bill-fish off the west coast of Central America.

While docked, back at the Keys, have a couple of blondes, in bikinis, scrubbing the Hatterus' decks while sitting around, drinking beer!

Send mom and dad "wish you were here" cards, post stamped from the Keys.

+1. A great word picture for a nearly perfect after military career or “working” retirement. Thanks!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Here is a flipside perspective....Growing up, my Dad alway drilled into us kids that we all going to college. He served from 61-81 and had a hard time finishing his associates. The AF did not have the same programs or focus on education as it has today.

My parents always intended to help pay for it; they lucked out with my brother getting a full scholarship to play football. My sister went to LSU. I had Tulane recruiting me, but I was practical enough to know my parents could not afford that kind of tuition. So I opted for smaller state college where the tuition was around $1,600 a semester plus fees.

My parents paid the college tuition for just 4 years while my sister and I worked to cover our living expenses. I chose to get a two degrees, which took longer hence I took out student loans for the time past 4 years.

Shortly after I graduated, Louisiana came out with the TOPS program, which would covered the basic tuition of all LA high school graduates with a reasonable (2.0-2.5?) GPA attending a state ran college/ university. Just my luck lol.

Divorces decrees in several states can now address/ order parents to help with college or post high school educational expenses.

I am not sure how it is considered by the Courts in all states, but in some states, it is based on the pre-divorce/ separation expectation that the children would go to college or such an education is part of the family standard. Other states may have a different basis for ordering parents to help pay for such expenses, so check with an attorney in your area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrake View Post
    Not to stick my oar in to deep because I bet I am missing a nice twist by Greg.
    You can keep forcing people to walk between the lines, but the organic nature of this community will result in water finding its level, irrespective of artificial constrictions. I don't know why you guys keep trying to force things. It's not really working, from what I can tell and just annoys loyal posters. But, as has been shown, you can take your ball and go home, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

For me - I got/paid for both of my kids thru undergraduate (BS degrees). After that - they are on their own. Son has a degree in journalism - was a newspaper reporter for about five years. Decided he felt a "calling" and is currently in seminary working on a Masters in Theology. Daughter has undergraduate in IT and is working as an IT/LAN Manager for a bank. Just this past weekend - informed us she has decided to go back for a Masters in Elementary Education. Has decided she wants to teach elementary school. Either way - both are/will be paying for the post graduate stuff.
    A TRANSPORTER - NOTHING HAPPENS UNTIL SOMETHING MOVES!!

Thread Information