Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Force turns to airmen for ideas on stopping sexual assault

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Force turns to airmen for ideas on stopping sexual assault

how about kicking the shit out of rapists and holding false accusers accountable? putting a 2-star in charge and asking for ideas ain't it, how about some leadership, big blue?

in this week's AF times, page 21

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Force turns to airmen for ideas on stopping sexual assault

How about coming to the conclusion that males have been raping since the beginning of time and there is nothing you can do to "stop" it. Just hold people accountable and improve the military justice system so commanders arent afraid they will look bad if a sexual assault happens in their unit.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    How about coming to the conclusion that males have been raping since the beginning of time and there is nothing you can do to "stop" it. Just hold people accountable and improve the military justice system so commanders arent afraid they will look bad if a sexual assault happens in their unit.
    Maybe the entire unit could be called in the next morning to form up in Blues or PT Gear - since this approach has worked so well to prevent DUI's...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

How about a more effective Wingman Day with a pre-Wingman Day mandatory CBT? This I think is needed because everyone should have a Wingman who can be called upon to stop a sexual assault. I for one have had exceptional Wingmen over the years, which is why I haven't committed sexual assault. The program works, people!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Sexual assault is a crime, just like DUI. You can't "Wingman Day," SAPR Stand Down Day," or CBT the intent to commit this crime out of someone any more than you can for a drunk who's gonna drink & drive.

And as sensational as it is made out to be, false accusations account for less than 3% of cases; sure, it sucks for the guy (or gal) accused, but it is far from a major part of the equation.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

We had our mandated SAPR stand-down day the other day and here is the problem as I see it. Our Commander stated in effect that over the years he's been in command he has seen far too many sexual assaults and that as a commander he knows things are working well as far as prosecutions and court-martials. After that, he lost me. After he was done with his 5 minutes, he left and the Shirt took over the discussion. I told the Shirt that the problem just left (I wasn't bashing my commander directly but his attitude that things were good to go as far as prosecutions.) I mean, there appears to be an officer mentality that at their level, they are doing all the right things they can as commanders to ensure people (read: enlisted) are getting prosecuted and rightfully so. However these same commanders don't have the balls to call a spade a spade and confront their peers when they aren't doing their jobs. This includes GOs as convening authorities all the way down to 2Lts. Just my two cents.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Sexual assault is a crime, just like DUI. You can't "Wingman Day," SAPR Stand Down Day," or CBT the intent to commit this crime out of someone any more than you can for a drunk who's gonna drink & drive.

And as sensational as it is made out to be, false accusations account for less than 3% of cases; sure, it sucks for the guy (or gal) accused, but it is far from a major part of the equation.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjohn1118 View Post
    We had our mandated SAPR stand-down day the other day and here is the problem as I see it. Our Commander stated in effect that over the years he's been in command he has seen far too many sexual assaults and that as a commander he knows things are working well as far as prosecutions and court-martials. After that, he lost me. After he was done with his 5 minutes, he left and the Shirt took over the discussion. I told the Shirt that the problem just left (I wasn't bashing my commander directly but his attitude that things were good to go as far as prosecutions.) I mean, there appears to be an officer mentality that at their level, they are doing all the right things they can as commanders to ensure people (read: enlisted) are getting prosecuted and rightfully so. However these same commanders don't have the balls to call a spade a spade and confront their peers when they aren't doing their jobs. This includes GOs as convening authorities all the way down to 2Lts. Just my two cents.
    How do you know YOUR commander isn't doing their best? How do you know YOUR commander, or any other commander for that matter doesn't call out their peers when needed? Do you expect such actions to be broadcasted outside of closed doors? You seem to know a lot about what goes on within a commander's inner circle. Please enlighten us on what the "officer mentality" is, since you seem to be good at reading minds.
    Last edited by FLAPS, USAF (ret); 06-29-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Flaps, you are absolutely correct. I should not have made such a broad sweeping statement like I did. And you are also right...I do not know if commanders are calling each other out in private. I should have chosen my words more carefully. I did use the term "appears" in my post because here is the reality: Perception is truth. And right now, this is what the public sees in the media: The military has a rape problem and commanders aren't doing their jobs. And it's not just the public. Some Senators and Congressmen are calling for a change in the UCMJ and Commander discretion on what actions go up for courts martial. All I did yesterday was made a comparison on two cases: The former Chief Gurney and Lt Col Wilkerson. While one dealt mostly with Abuse of Authority (former chief) and the other rape, the former chief got exactly what he deserved. The convening authority did not overturn any court martial findings. But, as we all know, the convening authority did toss out Lt Col Wilkerson's findings based on evidence the jury did not see and a personal decision that this GO made because the Lt Col could not do something like this: he was a devoted family man. So devoted, that we find out after the fact he fathered a child out of wedlock. I do believe there is a problem with the way the command structure works where one person and one person only decides if a case goes to court martial or not. This person may or may not have legal training but may have a conflict of interest. I liken it to the Report of Survey process. The AF mandates that a ROS be conducted by an officer, warrant officer or SNCO and if feasible from a different unit than the person being investigated. I presume this is so the investigation is as objective as possible. And the same can be said for why we went to the Fitness Assessment Cell in the first place: So we could eliminate any favoritism. So, why not have a third disinterested party make the decision based on all SJA recommendations when a case goes to CM? This way, we can eliminate possible perceptions of favoritism. Again, I did not mean to offend when wrote officer mentality. The reality is, after 20 years, I don't know the officer mentality. As a retired officer, could you share some insight if officers call each other out? For example, as a SMSgt, I have in the past and so have my peers, called each other out for things (privately of course). Did you ever have to do something like that or is it frowned upon?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Arm the women. It says, "Get off me" in a language anyone can understand.
    Last edited by Okie; 06-29-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooltime View Post
    If the AF is going to treat us like we're in Kindergarten - I wish they'd start up "nap time" after lunch...

Thread Information