Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Academy Admissions Help

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Academy Admissions Help

Tell him to go to an actual college. I know tons of pilots that arent ring knockers. The best leaders ive come across werent academy guys either.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Academy Admissions Help

A young cousin of mine (he just finished 10th grade) has decided he wants to join the AF to try to become a pilot. The AF Academy will be his best bet to accomplishing this but admission is very competitive. I've spoken to him about the basics about earning the highest marks he can in maths, science, etc. and told him to start running his legs off. I also showed him the Academy website and showed him what will be expected of him there. Can any of you give this young man any further advice about getting accepted?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crwchf16 View Post
    Going to a civilian college is the back-up plan for him.
    Have him talk to an academy grad. Capt or below specifically.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
    Tell him to go to an actual college. I know tons of pilots that arent ring knockers. The best leaders ive come across werent academy guys either.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crwchf16 View Post
    Full college scholarships to the university of his choice are available through AFROTC. Some schools even pay room & board if you bring an AFROTC scholarship. If he has the qualifications to be accepted at USAFA, he'd be very competitive for an AFROTC scholarship. The benefit is a real college experience, the same opportunities for landing a pilot slot, and the same commission that a USAFA grad gets....a much more attractive path IMHO. Call any AFROTC detachment and ask them their success rate in getting pilot slots for their cadets if you're concerned about the opportunities to fly.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Yes thirded. Avoid the AF academy. Have him still focus on being good at math and science. That translates in any walk of life. Your flagship state school "should" have a decent ROTC program. If he wants to do it, do it from there. If I meet a shitty officer, odds are he/she was an academy grad. Ive also had some young LTs from the millennial generation say that they hated it. If he is hell bent on going he is already going for the wrong reasons and will make a shitty officer.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Besides good grades and SAT/ACT scores, he needs to be doing extracurricular activities like student government, clubs and honor societies. He also needs to be in a competitive varsity sport. He needs to pay attention to his senator's and congressman's timelines for requesting their nomination to the academy. I think it starts the Junior year.

Even if he does apply to the Academy(or the Zoo), I recommend he also apply for AFROTC scholarships just in case. Zoomies have a better chance of getting pilot slots than AFROTC cadets if they are middle of the pack students, but if he works hard it won't be an issue. Remember that the Zoo only produces about 30% of new officers every year for the Air Force.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
    The USAFA routinely ranks in the top 10 schools list each year, especially for engineering. Not a bad nugget to have on the résumé, not to mention the incredible network you have to fall back on.

As for best leaders, I've seen them from all commissioning sources. It comes down to maturity, intellect, personality and compassion a person has...in my opinion.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    The USAFA routinely ranks in the top 10 schools list each year, especially for engineering. Not a bad nugget to have on the résumé, not to mention the incredible network you have to fall back on.

As for best leaders, I've seen them from all commissioning sources. It comes down to maturity, intellect, personality and compassion a person has...in my opinion.
    Every ringnknocker ive talked to said if theu could do it all over again they wouldve gone to a regular college

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Two facts for you to mitigate the "my cousin had a friend whose sister's fiance graduated from the Academy. That guy was a douche." The AFA is a very good school and there is no question that if one wants to be an AF pilot, this is the very best opportunity. If that were the route I was choosing, I'd probably want to get a physical to make sure I could qualify medically. Otherwise, 4 years of suck and no pilot slot. THe AFA has an office that does a very good job of outlining the admissions process. If he's fired up and squared away, he can easily find what he needs. He's right on track timewise. Proably next year'ish, he needs to start getting serious about applying and all that goes with it. Grades are important. Rocking out advanced Math and Sciences. Leadership in the community and/or school is also very important. Volunteerism. Good luck.

Thread Information