Thread: "Wet-Lease Carriers" vs. Standard Carriers

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default "Wet-Lease Carriers" vs. Standard Carriers

What's the opinion of those with an aviation/maintenance background concerning the "wet-lease carriers" (Atlas Air, Omni Air International, North American Airlines) who are usually contracted to ferry military personnel from deployed locations and from Korea on the "Patriot Express"?

Do you believe there is any difference in standards/safety between them and the regular, established carriers such as Delta, United, American, and others?

I ask because I recently flew on Atlas Air and then my connecting flight was Delta. Both aircraft were Boeing 767-400s but the Atlas Air aircraft appeared used & abused compared to the Delta aircraft.

EDIT: ValuJet was once considered as a contract carrier for DoD personnel but, luckily, the review process did its job and the DoD told ValuJet, "You guys suck and your aircraft are death traps; get lost." Not too long thereafter, ValuJet had a tragic accident in the Everglades...
    Last edited by BOSS302; 06-27-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: "Wet-Lease Carriers" vs. Standard Carriers

Between reading the contract carrier requirements AFI once upon a time and knowing what is required by the FAA I would say the actual aircraft are mechanically as good as any. The wet leases IMO are way better than the flag carriers. Food is better, no connections, most of the clientele can actually fit in the seats, most of the clientele can board and deplane quickly, I can bring my weapon with a lot less hassle, and it picks me up and/or drops me off right where I want to be. And the attendants usually have thick asses and are smokin' hot.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I've had great experiences flying on the Patriot Express. I assume contract carriers are meeting FAA and ICAO standards, and hopefully I'm not wrong. It's my belief that most mechanics, flight attendants and pilots are cut from the same mold. Defects can be found in any batch!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

"Brings back memories of 'Arrow Air' and their plywood decks on their 'last legs' now being used for spare parts on the KC-135's 'last legs'!" (They were $h*t in the '70's then!)

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

All the carriers have to follow the same FAA guidance, inspections, rules. Aircraft may appear to be a little rough...but mechanically equal to any other airlines.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by raustin0017 View Post
    Aircraft may appear to be a little rough...but mechanically equal to any other airlines.
    Kind of like the flight attendants!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Between reading the contract carrier requirements AFI once upon a time and knowing what is required by the FAA I would say the actual aircraft are mechanically as good as any. The wet leases IMO are way better than the flag carriers. Food is better, no connections, most of the clientele can actually fit in the seats, most of the clientele can board and deplane quickly, I can bring my weapon with a lot less hassle, and it picks me up and/or drops me off right where I want to be. And the attendants usually have thick asses and are smokin' hot.
    What you don't know don't hurt you right? I can't remember which one it is (out of Atlas, Evergreen, and North American) but one of them doesn't have a food vendor at some locations so brings the return trip meals with them... TCNs don't necessarily understand this and have thrown that food into the trash (at least once). That food was then taken out of the trash and served on the trip home...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I usually dread flying those contract carriers. The only thing better is that you usually get more food and drink, and if you ask for some more you will get it with no charge. But that doesn’t outweigh the drawbacks. Though the cliental are usually slimmer, the seats are really packed in. The width and leg space are usually a couple inches less than a regular airline (which are already packed in to begin with). Throw on top of that the antiquated entertainment systems that don’t work most of the time and you are in for a very long, painful, and boring flight.

Omni is the worst offender when it comes to seat width. I did a mid-tour R&R on that plane a few years ago, took Omni there and back. Had to take some pain reliever and the headphone jacks didn’t work in my seats both ways.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wxjumper View Post
    I usually dread flying those contract carriers. The only thing better is that you usually get more food and drink, and if you ask for some more you will get it with no charge. But that doesn’t outweigh the drawbacks. Though the cliental are usually slimmer, the seats are really packed in. The width and leg space are usually a couple inches less than a regular airline (which are already packed in to begin with). Throw on top of that the antiquated entertainment systems that don’t work most of the time and you are in for a very long, painful, and boring flight.

Omni is the worst offender when it comes to seat width. I did a mid-tour R&R on that plane a few years ago, took Omni there and back. Had to take some pain reliever and the headphone jacks didn’t work in my seats both ways.
    Ok, I will concede the outdated entertainment system. Cant remember what carrier but we were watching something on the screens in above the aisles that was tinted green and when you plugged in you could barely hear it. And it was some movie that I assume they got from the clearance bin at family dollar.

Thread Information