Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Things that irritate you since being in the military....about civilians

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Things that irritate you since being in the military....about civilians

Ties being too short. I always see the chubby guy with his tie ending way above his belly....like he put on his six year olds clip on tie....

People who won't shut up during the National Anthem....it is a few minutes of your time....shut the hell up.

The guy who served 3 years back in the 90's, never deployed, and talks about how tough military life is...

Will add more....feel free to add more
    Insert clever quote here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Things that irritate you since being in the military....about civilians

Most of the things that annoy me about (some ) civilians annoy me about (some) military members as well....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Things that irritate you since being in the military....about civilians

That civilian who never served, and thinks he can critique someone else's military bearing.

That civilian who never served, and thinks he can tell the troops that he works with that they "have it easy;" despite the fact that they're constantly tasked with things that he'll never have to do because it's not in his PD.

The non-supervisory civilian who thinks he can boss the junior troops around, just because he's a civilian.
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 06-27-2013 at 10:34 AM.
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."

~Paul Ryan

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Civilian spouses who never served a day but:
    1) say "we're military"
    2) insist they aren't civilians ("I serve in the military too, my actions reflect on my husband" or some remark about how "civilians" in the community regard "us")
    3) claim that their marriage to a military member is the toughest job in the sponsor's branch
    4) use the hashtag #silentranks
    5) act as if their sponsor's rank entitles them to respect beyond the mutual respect that mature adults pay each other as a matter of course
    6) are self-appointed experts in any number of topics (UCMJ, TRICARE, the divorce laws of the 50 states, what each branch says a spouse is "entitled to" when separating from the sponsor, etc) even though they can't spell key terms and can't cite a source beyond "experience" or "my husband said..."
    7) bash their sponsor's sister services (i.e., nonveteran Army spouse saying "chair force")
    8) bash military personnel who haven't achieved something their spouse has (a particular military grade, decoration, qualification, MOS), an example would be calling a military member a POG.
    9) pose for photos while wrapped in or lying atop the flag of the United States
    10) throw a fit when they can't get a military discount
    11) play the "my husband is defending your freedom of speech" card when no one will humor their particular delusions on an Internet forum
    Last edited by SENDBILLMONEY; 06-27-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SENDBILLMONEY View Post
    8) bash military personnel who haven't achieved something their spouse has (a particular military grade, decoration, qualification, MOS), an example would be calling a military member a POG.
    Oh, but if she's some housewife/stay-at-home-mom - where the only difference between her and a welfare mom is that she married well - you'd better NOT bash her "occupation."

That's the only occupation in America where it's taboo to say anything about it.
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."

~Paul Ryan

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I think this might be more to the actual subject. On Mil bases, a crosswalk is a place where you can expect traffic to stop for you. Not so much when you go out the gate. They barely stop for school crossing guards around my neigborhood. Courstesy and respect is alot more lacking in civvie world.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ttribe View Post
    I think this might be more to the actual subject. On Mil bases, a crosswalk is a place where you can expect traffic to stop for you. Not so much when you go out the gate. They barely stop for school crossing guards around my neigborhood. Courstesy and respect is alot more lacking in civvie world.
    Outside of my gripes with working with GS civilians while on active duty; to be honest, during my 11 years, I can't say that things in general about civilians really bothered me. But then again, I always the type to have one foot out of the door. I only reenlisted in two-year increments, and I was always looking forward to getting out - because I actually envied the civilians who exhibited such behavior simply because they could; and I wanted to be among them.

Of course... I'm a white collar professional, so I really can't go around behaving any type of why; but I do feel less constrained.

~Paul Ryan

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

- While in base housing, Retreat was playing loud and clear while a woman continued to work in her front yard flower bed while two young teens were screwing around in her front yard.
    - Dependapotomuses clogging up the commissary aisles while their children run rampant around the store.
    - The expectation that you address GS-14/15s by Sir/Ma'am. They ARE NOT military!
    - Any civilian who is allowed to supervise someone who has a higher education requirement than required for their own GS rating. An example is a GS-13 without a Bachelor's supervising a Capt who has the degree.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Oh, but if she's some housewife/stay-at-home-mom - where the only difference between her and a welfare mom is that she married well - you'd better NOT bash her "occupation."

That's the only occupation in America where it's taboo to say anything about it.
    So what is the problem with a stay at home mom?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    So what is the problem with a stay at home mom?
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with a stay-at-home mother or wife.

There is absolutely everything wrong with a stay-at-home mother or wife using the military affiliation they have through their spouse as an excuse to be "holier than thou."

Thread Information