Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: I Deserve a Tip!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default I Deserve a Tip!

Just moved to a new city and noticed something strange. No longer are food servers some of the only ones in the service industry expecting tips. There are tip jars at the movie theater ticket counter, tip jars at the Ben & Jerry's cash register, and a tip jar at the pancake joint that's labeled "hostess tips." WTF with this gross sense of entitlement? Tips for just doing your Effing job? Really?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: I Deserve a Tip!

It is so refreshing to go to other countries where people are expected to do their job because it is their job, not because you tip them. Sucks when they're exposed to Americans and begon to expect it.

In some jobs, it is factored in to their wages, so they get paid less... but it has crept in to others who have jumped on the bandwagon.

The worst is when you get shitty service and they still expect a tip. Here's you're tip, "you're in the wrong line of work!"
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I don't let tip jars intimidate me. I look the cashier in the eyes, and give a well pronounced, "Thank you."

If I return to the establishment, and find the service exceptional, I'll leave a buck or two.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The Korean cabbies on base got into the habit (maybe they still do) of rounding up and keeping the change. I always kept track and made sure they gave me every penny back. I didn't really want the change but it was the principle of the thing. As I was told, it is an insult to tip in the Korea culture because you are essentially saying they look they could use extra help. They cab drivers don't seem to be insulted.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    Just moved to a new city and noticed something strange. No longer are food servers some of the only ones in the service industry expecting tips. There are tip jars at the movie theater ticket counter, tip jars at the Ben & Jerry's cash register, and a tip jar at the pancake joint that's labeled "hostess tips." WTF with this gross sense of entitlement? Tips for just doing your Effing job? Really?
    Devil's advocate here....why NOT put out a tip jar? If some sucker will give you a tip just for standing there, why wouldn't you take it when chances are you are making minimum waqe?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fish View Post
    Minimum wage is what you get for an entry level job. A waitress I know make a servers wage so I tip, and tip well if service is great. A barista or ice cream scooper makes at least minimum wage. They get dick for a tip from me.
    Exactly. You are already getting a wage, one which YOU accepted when you took the job. For the hostess or cashier, EXACTLY what did you do to deserve MORE than the wage you are being paid? If you're courteous (job requirement), then you get a smile and a thank you. Is that no longer good enough?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The Korean cabbies on base got into the habit (maybe they still do) of rounding up and keeping the change. I always kept track and made sure they gave me every penny back. I didn't really want the change but it was the principle of the thing. As I was told, it is an insult to tip in the Korea culture because you are essentially saying they look they could use extra help. They cab drivers don't seem to be insulted.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Devil's advocate here....why NOT put out a tip jar? If some sucker will give you a tip just for standing there, why wouldn't you take it when chances are you are making minimum waqe?
    Minimum wage is what you get for an entry level job. A waitress I know make a servers wage so I tip, and tip well if service is great. A barista or ice cream scooper makes at least minimum wage. They get dick for a tip from me.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    I find it interesting how much the phrase "sense of entitlement" is being thrown around. I can only imagine how superior it must make people feel accuse others of having it.

Did any of them tell you that they "deserve" a tip? The jar is simply there. If you don't want to put anything in the tip jar, then don't do it. It's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    It is so refreshing to go to other countries where people are expected to do their job because it is their job, not because you tip them. Sucks when they're exposed to Americans and begon to expect it.
    That's because in most countries, servers are paid a wage that doesn't anticipate tips. Here in the US, servers wages are generally below minimum wage and are only enough to cover payroll deductions. In other words... servers only work for tips.

In some jobs, it is factored in to their wages, so they get paid less... but it has crept in to others who have jumped on the bandwagon.

The worst is when you get shitty service and they still expect a tip. Here's you're tip, "you're in the wrong line of work!"
    The truth is, customers who tip are going to get better service. I remember when I delivered pizza part time - yes, unlike servers, pizza deliverymen are required to be paid minimum wage. But the fact that some people don't tip, and among those who do, some tip better than others... not all customers are going to be treated the same.

And if someone didn't tip, I wrote down their address and kept a list. When their order came up, the food would sit there until things slowed down enough to the point where it was the only order left to take. If I ended up being the one taking it? I would take the food right out of the leather case; and put it on the floor in front of the passenger seat and put the air conditioner on full blast. And as soon as I got to the destination, I would shake their 2 liter sodas, or even drop it once or twice if there was no one looking.

I drive taxis as my second job now, and while there's no way to screw non-tippers while providing the service, you can always refuse to take calls to certain addresses. So these non-tippers will really feel the pain when they're an hour or two late to their job, or they miss their flight, or they sit in front of the grocery store while their food spoils.

The deal is, you can put down people in professions where it's customary to tip; refuse to tip them out of principle or whatever, but in the end... you're not going to have the last laugh. They're going to win, and you're going to lose.
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."

~Paul Ryan

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I find it interesting how much the phrase "sense of entitlement" is being thrown around. I can only imagine how superior it must make people feel accuse others of having it.

Did any of them tell you that they "deserve" a tip? The jar is simply there. If you don't want to put anything in the tip jar, then don't do it. It's as simple as that.

That's because in most countries, servers are paid a wage that doesn't anticipate tips. Here in the US, servers wages are generally below minimum wage and are only enough to cover payroll deductions. In other words... servers only work for tips.

The truth is, customers who tip are going to get better service. I remember when I delivered pizza part time - yes, unlike servers, pizza deliverymen are required to be paid minimum wage. But the fact that some people don't tip, and among those who do, some tip better than others... not all customers are going to be treated the same.

And if someone didn't tip, I wrote down their address and kept a list. When their order came up, the food would sit there until things slowed down enough to the point where it was the only order left to take. If I ended up being the one taking it? I would take the food right out of the leather case; and put it on the floor in front of the passenger seat and put the air conditioner on full blast. And as soon as I got to the destination, I would shake their 2 liter sodas, or even drop it once or twice if there was no one looking.

I drive taxis as my second job now, and while there's no way to screw non-tippers while providing the service, you can always refuse to take calls to certain addresses. So these non-tippers will really feel the pain when they're an hour or two late to their job, or they miss their flight, or they sit in front of the grocery store while their food spoils.

The deal is, you can put down people in professions where it's customary to tip; refuse to tip them out of principle or whatever, but in the end... you're not going to have the last laugh. They're going to win, and you're going to lose.
    I'm pretty surprised to read such a progressive such as yourself discriminating based simply on an address. What parts of town do you refuse "service"?

Thread Information