Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is the supreme court being chicken sh** in not making a ruling on Affirmative action?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Is the supreme court being chicken sh** in not making a ruling on Affirmative action?

So the Supreme court kicks back to the lower court the cases where a white woman is suing a Texas college for placing race (for diversity sake) over qualifications due to affirmative action, and as such shows it is a racist decision.

So do you feel they are being chicken for NOT making a ruling on this, or playing it safe?

Do you actually agree with having affirmative action or not??

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ult-questions/

http://www.policymic.com/articles/50...rmative-action

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Is the supreme court being chicken sh** in not making a ruling on Affirmative act

Can't believe she actually said this;

"Minorities still aren’t equal to whites."

Talk about a racist!
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Is the supreme court being chicken sh** in not making a ruling on Affirmative act

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    So the Supreme court kicks back to the lower court the cases where a white woman is suing a Texas college for placing race (for diversity sake) over qualifications due to affirmative action, and as such shows it is a racist decision.

So do you feel they are being chicken for NOT making a ruling on this, or playing it safe?

Do you actually agree with having affirmative action or not??
    Did you actually READ the ruling? The district court upheld the University's policy and the Supreme Court said not so fast there skippy. While the rulin didn't say whether the decision was right or wrong, it did say that in reaching their decision, the district court did NOT follow the law regarding affirmative action. Basically the Supreme Court said that the district court had to do their job properly before the case could be decided by them....

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...1-345_l5gm.pdf
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

--John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I believe the Supreme Court is to chicken sh*t to rule on this. Because for the last 40+ years Affirmative Action has been the law of that land, and now with society as it is we don't need it anymore.

Affirmative Action had it's place yes back in the day. But in today's life it does not have a place in American Society.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Two wrongs don't make a right! You cant fix discrimination by discriminating.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post

What do you mean not ruling on it? They did rule on it.

I didn't read the full decision and all...but from what I gather, the ruling basically says that it is a valid interest of the University to desire a diverse student body...because that contributes to the quality of education in bringing about discussion from different points of view, etc...or at least didn't say they can NOT do that.

But, that when giving a minority students a "plus up"...they have to do it with this very narrow purpose in mind.

I don't think that's even really affirmative action...
    Last edited by Measure Man; 06-24-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    What do you mean not ruling on it? They did rule on it.

I didn't read the full decision and all...but from what I gather, the ruling basically says that it is a valid interest of the University to desire a diverse student body...because that contributes to the quality of education in bringing about discussion from different points of view, etc...or at least didn't say they can NOT do that.

But, that when giving a minority students a "plus up"...they have to do it with this very narrow purpose in mind.

I don't think that's even really affirmative action...
    They also said that they have to be able to PROVE that the way they were doing it was legal AND achieved the stated purpose of the policy. They also ruled that the standard to which the circuit court held the university was not a strict enough standard to support the university's policy and thereby that the district court needed to go back and do it right...THEN an appeal could be filed to the Supreme Court by the loser....

--Barak Obama

--John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    They also said that they have to be able to PROVE that the way they were doing it was legal AND achieved the stated purpose of the policy. They also ruled that the standard to which the circuit court held the university was not a strict enough standard to support the university's policy and thereby that the district court needed to go back and do it right...
    Right.

THEN an appeal could be filed to the Supreme Court by the loser....
    No. I think you are confused at what the Supreme Court actually does.

There are two different types of issues in a trial, Issues of Law and Issues of Fact.

usually, the Issues of Law is what gets appealed...the Supreme Court clarifies, like in this case, that the lower court misinterpreted the law...then they clarify what the lower court should have thought about the law, and send it back for the lower court to apply the newly clarfiied law to the facts of that particular case.

You generally don't get to appeal to the Supreme Court just because you lost...you have to have a Issue of Law that you believe the court interpreted or applied incorrectly. You get the Supreme Court to tell your court how to properly apply the law, and to rethink their decision based on that.

For the most part though, the Supreme Court does not make a "final decision" on cases as they generally do not get into questions of fact...questions of fact, would be things like what the evidence means, which witness is more believable, what conclusions can be drawn based on the fact that this fingerprint was found over here, but not over there, etc.
    Last edited by Measure Man; 06-24-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    No. I think you are confused at what the Supreme Court actually does.

There are two different types of issues in a trial, Issues of Law and Issues of Fact.

usually, the Issues of Law is what gets appealed...the Supreme Court clarifies, like in this case, that the lower court misinterpreted the law...then they clarify what the lower court should have thought about the law, and send it back for the lower court to apply the newly clarfiied law to the facts of that particular case.

You generally don't get to appeal to the Supreme Court just because you lost...you have to have a Issue of Law that you believe the court interpreted or applied incorrectly. You get the Supreme Court to tell your court how to properly apply the law, and to rethink their decision based on that.

For the most part though, the Supreme Court does not make a "final decision" on cases as they generally do not get into questions of fact...questions of fact, would be things like what the evidence means, which witness is more believable, what conclusions can be drawn based on the fact that this fingerprint was found over here, but not over there, etc.
    IMO, no matter who loses, they will appeal to the Supreme Court. Either the University will lose and claim that the law wasn't followed properly in the decision or the student will lose and will claim the law is unconstitutional. The Supreme Court might not hear the case but neither party seems likely to take the circuit courts' decision as final...

--Barak Obama

--John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    Did you actually READ the ruling? The district court upheld the University's policy and the Supreme Court said not so fast there skippy. While the rulin didn't say whether the decision was right or wrong, it did say that in reaching their decision, the district court did NOT follow the law regarding affirmative action. Basically the Supreme Court said that the district court had to do their job properly before the case could be decided by them....

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...1-345_l5gm.pdf
    I have it a cursory look over..

Thread Information