Thread: Michael Hastings (of McChrystal fame) dies in car wreck

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Michael Hastings (of McChrystal fame) dies in car wreck

Quote Originally Posted by RFScott View Post
    From AF Times:

Michael Hastings, whose stunning 2010 report for Rolling Stone led to the removal of Gen. Stanley McChrystal as head of coalition forces in Afghanistan, died in a fiery car crash Tuesday in Los Angeles, according to numerous media reports.

He was 33.

Hastings' death was announced by BuzzFeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith, who praised the journalist as "fearless," saying in a statement that he possessed "an incredible instinct for the story, and a gift for finding ways to make his readers care about anything he covered from wars to politicians."

In "The Runaway General," published by Rolling Stone in June 2010, Hastings quoted McChrystal and members of his staff making unprofessional comments about several senior U.S. officials, including Vice President Joe Biden and then-National Security Adviser James Jones, a retired Marine general. President Obama relieved McChrystal as a result, and the general retired not long after.

Following the story's publication, Hastings was criticized by members of McChrystal's inner circle, who claimed most of the inflammatory comments were made by junior staffers and during discussions believed to be off the record. He was later denied a subsequent request to embed with U.S. forces in Afghanistan, but defended his work and the means by which he reported it.

At a media conference in Washington later that year, Hastings said he took more flak from fellow journalists than from within the military.

"When someone who's not part of the club comes in and does a story … people get very territorial about their field," he said in November 2010. "And they'll try to frame it as though it's about journalism's ethics or it's about ground rules. It's not. It's about power, it's about who has the authority."

Hastings' work appeared in numerous publications, including Newsweek and The Washington Post. He also authored multiple books, including this year's "The Operators: The Wild and Terrifying Inside Story of America's War in Afghanistan."

He is survived by his wife.

In one of those strange coincidences, I just picked up a copy of The Operators at the library yesterday...
    Speaking of coincidence, I have a hard time believing that this story is one.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Michael Hastings (of McChrystal fame) dies in car wreck

From AF Times:

Michael Hastings, whose stunning 2010 report for Rolling Stone led to the removal of Gen. Stanley McChrystal as head of coalition forces in Afghanistan, died in a fiery car crash Tuesday in Los Angeles, according to numerous media reports.

He was 33.

Hastings' death was announced by BuzzFeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith, who praised the journalist as "fearless," saying in a statement that he possessed "an incredible instinct for the story, and a gift for finding ways to make his readers care about anything he covered from wars to politicians."

In "The Runaway General," published by Rolling Stone in June 2010, Hastings quoted McChrystal and members of his staff making unprofessional comments about several senior U.S. officials, including Vice President Joe Biden and then-National Security Adviser James Jones, a retired Marine general. President Obama relieved McChrystal as a result, and the general retired not long after.

Following the story's publication, Hastings was criticized by members of McChrystal's inner circle, who claimed most of the inflammatory comments were made by junior staffers and during discussions believed to be off the record. He was later denied a subsequent request to embed with U.S. forces in Afghanistan, but defended his work and the means by which he reported it.

At a media conference in Washington later that year, Hastings said he took more flak from fellow journalists than from within the military.

"When someone who's not part of the club comes in and does a story … people get very territorial about their field," he said in November 2010. "And they'll try to frame it as though it's about journalism's ethics or it's about ground rules. It's not. It's about power, it's about who has the authority."

Hastings' work appeared in numerous publications, including Newsweek and The Washington Post. He also authored multiple books, including this year's "The Operators: The Wild and Terrifying Inside Story of America's War in Afghanistan."

In one of those strange coincidences, I just picked up a copy of The Operators at the library yesterday...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RFScott View Post
    From AF Times:

He was 33.

Speaking of coincidence, I have a hard time believing that this story is one.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Won't miss him, that was a hatchet job he did on McChrystal. Granted, those guys were certainly idiots for shooting their mouths of like that.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Indeed. I wonder which political party he was registered to, and if his reporting was truly unbiased.
    Sgt. Mike / USMC

"To summarize: Three steps must be taken to smash the war racket.
    1. We must take the profit out of war.
    2. We must permit the youth of the land who would bear arms to decide whether or not there should be war.
    3. We must limit our military forces to home defense purposes."

- MajGen Smedley Butler, 'War Is A Racket'.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by E4RUMOR View Post
    Indeed. I wonder which political party he was registered to, and if his reporting was truly unbiased.
    "Reporters (using THAT term loosely of course) goes with the wind as in $$$$ coming their way at anyone and everyone's expense!" (and you can that that to the bank!)

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by E4RUMOR View Post
    I read the article mentioned soon after that issue of Rolling Stone came out, and I haven't picked up that particular magazine in over a decade. I thought the writer went a little too far, but if the writer was given unfettered access, well bad on those that provided the writer with the access. And bad on those who should have known better voicing their unvarnished opinions in front of the writer.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Apparently he was investigating the CIA director when he met his untimely demise....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...est=latestnews
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Thread Information