Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Filling Squares

Commentary on the AF News site.

Filling squares
    Posted 6/12/2013 Email story Print story

Commentary by Senior Master Sgt. Vincent Miller
    2nd Maintenance Squadron

6/12/2013 - BARKSDALE AIR FORCE BASE, La. (AFNS) -- As Airmen, we are more than familiar with the need to fill the proverbial squares as we strive to progress in our military career.

To be competitive for awards and promotions, we must commit ourselves to goals such as education, passing the fitness exam, and community service. It is through completion of these expectations and requirements that we become better leaders, managers and Airmen. However, somewhere along the way, we fail to internalize the importance of why we fill these squares.

In reality, the squares are designed to make us better and provide a separation between the willing and unwilling -- the committed and uncommitted. The squares help identify Airmen who are motivated and willing to go the extra mile to better themselves, their team, and the Air Force. It is this drive towards self-improvement that separates one from the masses and establishes his or her true identity.

One square that requires a great deal of commitment is the pursuit of education. As we continually strive to become that "whole person," we must challenge ourselves intellectually and work toward attaining a certification; associate, bachelor's, or even a master's degree. Attending school is not easy and takes sacrifice. It means spending your time writing a research paper, while everyone else is enjoying the weekend. It means taking your textbook on the flightline and studying every chance you get. It means being the security forces Airman I saw reading a biology book while eating breakfast in the dining facility.

At this moment some of you are saying there is no time to attend school; high operations tempo, 40-hour work week, and spending time with family are a few reasons that prevent you from taking classes. Additionally, some of you may feel we should be evaluated solely on work performance.

Honestly, these excuses are hindering you from progressing and improving yourself. If you continue to hide behind them, like I once did, you will never take yourself to the next level.

It took a long time to realize that fear and toxic excuses prevented me from seeking an education. Constant mentorship and a few one-way "conversations" from a chief master sergeant propelled me down the road of education.

Dedicating yourself to filling the squares is a decision only you can make. By filling them you demonstrate the willingness of constant self-improvement and unwavering commitment, which directly benefits you, your team, and the Air Force. Filling the squares also establishes separation from your peers and it is through this separation that you are most likely to fulfill your career aspirations and goals.

Read more: http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123351830
    Last edited by Measure Man; 06-18-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Filling Squares

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Ok, I will play along. By making the effort to CLEP one or two courses I have shown the Air Force I have the desire to achieve an assosciates degree. Now what is it about that degree that really proves I deserve to be promoted ahead of my peers? Say I have two MSgts to choose from and I need to select one to become the new NCOIC. What should I look for? Education, people skills, job knowledge, specialty experience, etc? The biggest problem with the AF is that we attack every problem like it can be solved logically and on paper. In real life we understand that things are often not as they appear but for whatever reason when it comes to certain decisions the AF seems to wantt o take the lazy way out. In jobs in the civlian sector your resume will get you an interview but the interview gets you the job. In the AF it seems that your resume is more important thatn your actual skills even if your resume is not even an accurate representation of you. Can you imagine if the civilian sector posted job requirements and simply hired anyone who meets them? I have never seen a job posted that said do you have an assosciates degree, are you physically fit, do you have 14 years experience, do you volunteer? If so, the job is yours. These are the only four things we care about.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zxc View Post
    /facepalm

The fact that he wrote and article on filling squares just to fill his own squares is just bewildering to me
    This one made me throw up in my mouth a little:

Dedicating yourself to filling the squares is a decision only you can make.
    I'm wondering if that can be our next recruiting slogan...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

/facepalm

The fact that he wrote and article on filling squares just to fill his own squares is just bewildering to me

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    I get a bad taste in my mouth when we put community service on the same level with education. I just don't see the connection. Giving up weekends & family time automatically equals commitment to the team? Unfortunately, our leadership does not agree with me, since they specifically mention volunteering in 36-2618, enlisted force structure.
    Call me a conspiracy theorist but I think the reason volunteering is mentioned is because no one would do it otherwise. Have you ever been in charge of putting something together (not AF related) and tried to solicit volunteers? Go to any local Red Cross, Food Bank, or Church and see who consisently shows up. Occasionally you might have a person show up to check it out but for the most part you only get the "regulars". The high school football booster club does soemthing interesting here. If your kid is on the team you can either pay $200 or volunteer for like 5 events. The people who do not have the money can work to help the team. People who do not have the time can buy their way out of it.

If the AF did not "encourage" volunteering you would almost never see any activity (burger burns, AADD, etc) become successful. How many people do you know that would willingly sit around at AADD for 5 hours on a weekend for the priveledge to pick up some drunks if they did not get to put it on their EPR?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    I get a bad taste in my mouth when we put community service on the same level with education. I just don't see the connection. Giving up weekends & family time automatically equals commitment to the team? Unfortunately, our leadership does not agree with me, since they specifically mention volunteering in 36-2618, enlisted force structure.
    Call me a conspiracy theorist but I think the reason volunteering is mentioned is because no one would do it otherwise. Have you ever been in charge of putting something together (not AF related) and tried to solicit volunteers? Go to any local Red Cross, Food Bank, or Church and see who consisently shows up. Occasionally you might have a person show up to check it out but for the most part you only get the "regulars". The high school football booster club does soemthing interesting here. If your kid is on the team you can either pay $200 or volunteer for like 5 events. The people who do not have the money can work to help the team. People who do not have the time can buy their way out of it.

If the AF did not "encourage" volunteering you would almost never see any activity (burger burns, AADD, etc) become successful. How many people do you know that would willingly sit around at AADD for 5 hours on a weekend for the priveledge to pick up some drunks if they did not get to put it on their EPR?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

It is through completion of these expectations and requirements that we become better leaders, managers and Airmen.

It is this drive towards self-improvement that separates one from the masses and establishes his or her true identity.
    I disagree that checking boxes makes someone a better leader, manager, and Airman. They may indirectly get some sort of experience that will help them in the future, but adopt-a-highway or habitat for humanity doesn't build credibility with subordinates like on-the-job experience does.

I personally have a drive for constant self-improvement, but it wasn't taught in PME or sent to me in a 5MT email. It is who I am and how I want to be viewed by the world. I also feel an unwavering commitment to the Air Force. This is why I feel our resources (including people) should be used in the most efficient manner possible, rather than burning duty time on booster club fundraising.

I'm on board with the education push, although it's difficult to quantify exactly how much we get for our investment in that area. Our "professional students" are burning through a lot of Tuition Assistance money just for the sake of doing something.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Aprils fools?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zxc View Post
    As for AADD, personally I've driven or played operator on 8 or 9 different nights in the past and I've all but given up on the program; I've not yet once encountered a stranded Airman or "saved" anyone from getting a DUI... People aren't stupid, they're just cheap and don't want to pay for a cab... but they have no problem getting dropped off and planning on AADD as a free cab home. I have no problem with the idea of a drunk bus picking people up, but seeing the constant bullets about 1XX souls saved is ridiculous
    One quick note on this. I have probably done AADD about 5 times (used it a lot more than that ). Of all the times I picked someone up only two times probably prevented a DUI. The first was a guy who called us from outside the gate. He just wanted a ride through the gate because he knew they would smell alochol. I suppose that did prevent a DUI but realistically the risk had already been taken as he had driven from the bar to base already. The second situation that preveneted a DUI was when I picked up a completely sober person. This guy's wife had went to a friend's and had a few too many. He was adament that she not drive home but she refused to leave her vehicle. He called AADD and we went and picked him up and dropped him off at her location so he could drive home. I do think this one actually prevented a possible DUI as she would have driven if not for AADD but I do not see any reason why he could not have just called a friend instead of AADD.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post

Absolutely, but personally the vast majority of "burger burn" or other Booster Club crap is entirely self-serving and I wouldn't mind seeing it go away entirely. For more mandatory events such as Wing formations, changes of command, etc voluntelling is suitable as needed. As for AADD, personally I've driven or played operator on 8 or 9 different nights in the past and I've all but given up on the program; I've not yet once encountered a stranded Airman or "saved" anyone from getting a DUI... People aren't stupid, they're just cheap and don't want to pay for a cab... but they have no problem getting dropped off and planning on AADD as a free cab home. I have no problem with the idea of a drunk bus picking people up, but seeing the constant bullets about 1XX souls saved is ridiculous

I do value volunteerism and self-improvement, but I think that the level at which they are valued is ludicrous

Thread Information