Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CNO launches attack on Sailor busy work

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default CNO launches attack on Sailor busy work

http://www.navytimes.com/article/201...ilor-busy-work

Are you kidding me? I thought this article was ironic having spent 25 years in the Navy in the administrative field. I've seen so many of these type of initiatives work in cycles. I remember seeing something about this along the same lines around 1986 when Admiral Boorda was Chief of Naval Personnel. He was publicizing an initiative to reduce paperwork as well, but it never went anywhere. This looks to be like the same thing. Let me lay down a reality check here: The only way to get serious about reducing all of the papework is not by forming a committee, but by reducing all of the unnecessary programs, which means cutting out or downsizing some of the many inordinate number of staffs that support admirals (i.e., drastically reduce the number of General Officers). The large, overextended bureacracy is what generates all of this unneeded paperwork. Unfortunately people, this ain't gonna happen. In other words, that dog don't hunt. I'm sure most, if not all, of the comments that Navy Times receives on this will be in agreement.

B. M. BURAWSKI
    Chief Yeoman, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
    Last edited by BURAWSKI; 06-19-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: CNO launches attack on Sailor busy work

Dead on Great post!

As long as they keep popping up with last minute hot training (SAPR anyone) items and what ever else is the emergency of the week mindless taskers will never go away. The requirement to ensure all the training is done and reported the way they want would use this new "task force" they came up with.

Just another feel good " neh neh there we did it"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

This, on the heels of a moronic inspection of every space looking for offensive material. And each command has to report completion of this inspection. Sorry, this isn't 1985 anymore. Another thing I find ironic is the CNO appointed the Head Nuke to spearhead this effort! Is there another community more obsessed with paperwork than nukes?

Got to go. Headed to mandatory SAPR stand down. Want to ensure my attendance is recorded and reported to higher authority as directed...
    Last edited by CaliMC; 06-18-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BURAWSKI;634113The [U
    only[/U] way to get serious about reducing all of the papework is not by forming a committee, but by reducing all of the unnecessary programs, which means cutting out some rice bowels and empires (i.e., drastically reduce the number of General Officers).
    Rice bowels??

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

A few things things you can do:

Get rid of PQS. The Navy is the only service that has it, while members of other services simply get trained on a piece of equipment and then start operating it. Marines don't need a PQS to fire an M9. Someone simply shows them how to use it, and then they use it.

PQS is simply a CYA tool. Just like the majority of paperwork. Make the Navy less of a CYA environment, and LOTS of paperwork can be done any with.

I think 3M may constitute the lion's share of paperwork that the Fleet could do without. Why should the administration behind the maintenance take up more man hours than the maintenance itself?
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."

~Paul Ryan

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Get rid of PQS. The Navy is the only service that has it, while members of other services simply get trained on a piece of equipment and then start operating it. Marines don't need a PQS to fire an M9. Someone simply shows them how to use it, and then they use it.
    It was ironic that after 12 years as a Marine Infantryman, I had to do a computer based course and PQS to be considered 'safe' to fire an M-16 or M9.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Rice bowels??
    "Rice Bowling" is the habit of hording information about how your job is performed in to inflate either your actual importance or your perceived importance. Basically it's the art of wedging yourself into a job and then keeping all the information about it to yourself so no one can now how your job is actually done so they can't judge you based on how well you're actually doing it. By doing this one can present the impression that a mind numbingly simple job is amazingly difficult.

I think the fact that the Navy stood up a task force headed by a two star that no doubt has several dozen people working for him... to answer the question as to why the Navy has too much paperwork is all the answer we really need.
    Never has a more accurate view of the world been advanced in human history then by that person whom decided to name a group of Navy Chiefs a Mess.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
    "Rice Bowling" is the habit of hording information about how your job is performed in to inflate either your actual importance or your perceived importance. Basically it's the art of wedging yourself into a job and then keeping all the information about it to yourself so no one can now how your job is actually done so they can't judge you based on how well you're actually doing it. By doing this one can present the impression that a mind numbingly simple job is amazingly difficult.

I think the fact that the Navy stood up a task force headed by a two star that no doubt has several dozen people working for him... to answer the question as to why the Navy has too much paperwork is all the answer we really need.
    Joe, I think he was commenting on the misspelling (bowel vice bowl)...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CaliMC View Post
    Joe, I think he was commenting on the misspelling (bowel vice bowl)...
    Yes, you are correct. I did make a mistake which is the reason I changed that sentence. But hey, stuff happens. Bowl a round, deep dish used for food or liquid.
    Bowel - The part of the alimentary canal below the stomach; the intestine.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

" We still respect you Chief!!" 'RC.' ($h*t happens)
    Last edited by RobotChicken; 06-25-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Thread Information