Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Women to be allowed in Seals by 2016 as part of getting more into combat roles

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Women to be allowed in Seals by 2016 as part of getting more into combat roles

So who here thinks its a good idea to expand the "getting more women into combat roles" to including them in the Seals (and more than likely it will be pushed to the other special forces groups)?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...25d_story.html

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...eals-riverine/

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...avy-seals.html
    Last edited by garhkal; 06-18-2013 at 02:19 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Women to be allowed in Seals by 2016 as part of getting more into combat roles

"From Admiral (SEAL) Eric Olson
    'In response to recent reporting in which I was misquoted about females in the Teams (my actual comments at Aspen about women in SOF are at 1:01:25 in the YouTube video link below)…
    … I am in favor of greater utilization of 'female operators' in increasingly sophisticated roles within SOF. This is not new
    SOF have had great success with women in Civil Affairs, Military Information Support Operations and Cultural Support Teams over the last few years, especially. When properly equipped and prepared, they have often proven to be outstanding — and many have earned the full respect of their male counterparts. In certain foreign cultures, they have been uniquely successful in learning or finding things of real operational value. In some specific cases, they have been key to mission success.
    I believe that NSW and SOF ought to continue to seek ways to expand and enhance womens’ mission roles, and develop selection, training, and equipping methods that will optimize their ability to contribute in challenging operational situations.

I do not support the concept of females going through BUD/S, the SF Q-course or any of our other pipeline training courses designed to prepare men for intense combat. I favor separate selection and training, tailored to the operational roles that females will actually be expected to perform. This is not about creating 'female SEALs,'but about finding new ways to operationally employ women in order to enhance SOF’s overall capabilities. To be sure, the women who “operate” with SOF will need to be physically fit, intellectually agile, determined and courageous. SOF have a number of such women already serving in highly demanding assignments. What is needed now is a more structured way to identify and screen them, prepare them for their unique operational roles and manage their careers."

http://sofrep.com/8123/women-in-the-...on-discussion/
    Last edited by Greg; 06-18-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Women to be allowed in Seals by 2016 as part of getting more into combat roles

Doesn't matter what the Admiral WANTS...if Congress says to do it...it will get done.
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    "From Admiral (SEAL) Eric Olson
    I do not support the concept of females going through BUD/S, the SF Q-course or any of our other pipeline training courses designed to prepare men for intense combat. I favor separate selection and training, tailored to the operational roles that females will actually be expected to perform.
    So by that, does Adm olson seem to want to have a different 'level of qualification' for women than men?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    So by that, does Adm olson seem to want to have a different 'level of qualification' for women than men?
    Separate but Equal?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

--John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Thumbs down Re: Women to be allowed in Seals by 2016 as part of getting more into combat roles

I think we all knew this was going to happen sooner or later after the 1997 Hollywood G.I. Jane movie about Demi Moore becoming the first Navy SEAL. Of course the DVD's cover photo is of a shaven-headed Moore looking appropriately ferocious ... in a wet T-shirt. Is this a great country or what?

I've never had any but the greatest respect for our servicewomen, but I am antiquated enough to still think that they should not be subjected to direct, physical, personal combat [as in Army Infantry/Rangers/SF, Navy SEALs, etc.]. Even when in top physical condition their bodies are too vulnerable to damage and pain, and have physiological requirements significantly beyond those of males.

Beyond this, there are cultural and psychological issues involved. Many of the areas of the world subject to intense personal combat are also those in which women are, to put it delicately, not regarded with the same respect as men. An American female combat soldier captured in such an environment could very well be raped to death for her "arrogance". Moreover, and I don't care how much it's fashionable to deny this these days, American male soldiers are going to be protective of any females with them, period - even if to do so compromises the mission. It's hardwired into us.

I have no objection to women in indirect/non-contact combat, such as artillery, fighter pilots, USN fighting ships. I have no problem seeing any woman with 4 stars on her shoulders. But let's leave "G.I. Jane" to Hollywood fantasy.
    Michael A. Aquino
    LTC, PSYOP, USA-Ret.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Just a guess, but I suspect that the SEALs might have less of a problem with sexual assault as the overall military - since a team would all have gone through years of training and selection... not just random douchebag felons who got into the military on a waiver.

But I could be wrong, the Air Force with all their degrees, high ASVAB scores, etc - seems to have a sexual assault problem just as enormous as everyone else.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    Just a guess, but I suspect that the SEALs might have less of a problem with sexual assault as the overall military - since a team would all have gone through years of training and selection... not just random douchebag felons who got into the military on a waiver.

But I could be wrong, the Air Force with all their degrees, high ASVAB scores, etc - seems to have a sexual assault problem just as enormous as everyone else.
    Sometimes douchebags are just douchebags no matter what uniform they wear... Navy has three midshipmen facing charges, LA ARNG fired their Command Sgt Maj while they are investigating him,....

--Barak Obama

--John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Time to mandate women register with Selective Service.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Is this political correctness gone over the edge? I don't know. They say no special exemptions of physical fitness standards will be made. Why is it that I can see that erode 15 to 20 years down the road? Does anyone still believe there is a difference between the sexes? No I am not saying this is a bad thing just a biological reality that IMO to many do not want to acknowledge. Women have a place in the military and I consider them my sisters in arms but I wonder if this is taking it into areas where perhaps it should not go. Call me a chauvinist if you will but I believe there are functions better done by men and functions better done by women special forces like navy seals, green berets and delta force are better left to men IMO.

Always,
    Wildman
    The price of freedom is not free.

Thread Information