Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: AF Mentoring...Fact or Fiction

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: AF Mentoring...Fact or Fiction

I always felt mentoring occurred naturally and never needed to be addressed in an AFI. Dictated mentoring results in the worst kind of mentoring from some of the AF's worst leaders.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default AF Mentoring...Fact or Fiction

AFI 36-3401 Air Force Mentoring dated 1 Jun 2000, "provides guidance on how to carry out Air Force Mentoring, which was established to bring about a cultural change in the way we view professional development. Mentoring is an essential ingredient in developing well-rounded, professional, and competent future leaders. The goal of this instruction is to help each person reach his or her full potential, thereby enhancing the overall professionalism of the Air Force. It applies to all commanders and supervisors/raters of Air Force military and civilian personnel."

All well and good...HOWEVER...AFI 33-360 Publications and Forms Management, directs that all publications should be reviewed, updated or certified as current every 4 years. Yet, 36-3401 has not been since 2000 (13 years)...

Kind of hard for Airmen to take mentoring seriously when HQ AF cannot even update (or even certify as current) their own instruction.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    I always felt mentoring occurred naturally and never needed to be addressed in an AFI. Dictated mentoring results in the worst kind of mentoring from some of the AF's worst leaders.
    I agree...at best this AFI should be 2 pages max. I remember when AETC actually had a mentorship form that we used (for a short time)...
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    I agree...at best this AFI should be 2 pages max. I remember when AETC actually had a mentorship form that we used (for a short time)...
    So typical for the Air Force to take a simple concept and turn it into a writing exercise.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    Kind of hard for Airmen to take mentoring seriously when HQ AF cannot even update (or even certify as current) their own instruction.
    Kind of like Officer Professional Development (36-2611 last updated 1996)? 36-2116-last updated 1997, 36-2012-last updated 1998, 36-2612-last updated 1994...yet 36-2905 is updated every 30 seconds....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

After I read AFI 36-3401, Air Force Mentoring, I started walking around my office telling all my troops to start mentoring.

“Hey Smitty, have you mentored A1C Abercrombie today? Hop to it!” I got rid of the wingman concept and replaced it with the mentor/protégé concept. They couldn’t go out for lunch unless they were paired up into mentor/protégé duets.
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 06-17-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtS View Post
    What the Air Force calls "mentoring" is really called training or counseling.

REAL mentoring is a long term and completely voluntary relationship between two or more people, where the mentee chooses their mentor out of respect and admiration for someone they look up to and wish to emulate. That is how a real mentoring relationship begins and continues. It is long term and lasts many many years. I still e-mail back and forth with my mentor even though he is no longer in my chain of command. HE is my mentor because I sought out that relationship, not because it was forced on me by some buzzword loaded AFI.
    Indeed. It was my pleasure to serve as a mentor to a fine young captain. She asked I be her mentor. Was glad to help. Hope she's a colonel by now.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

What the Air Force calls "mentoring" is really called training or counseling.

REAL mentoring is a long term and completely voluntary relationship between two or more people, where the mentee chooses their mentor out of respect and admiration for someone they look up to and wish to emulate. That is how a real mentoring relationship begins and continues. It is long term and lasts many many years. I still e-mail back and forth with my mentor even though he is no longer in my chain of command. HE is my mentor because I sought out that relationship, not because it was forced on me by some buzzword loaded AFI.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The worst mentor fiasco I have ever seen was where a TOP III assigned mentors to Amn who expressed interest. The TOP III pres would walk around and ask Amn if they would like a mentor who "was on the right track", and the assign them who they felt appropriate.

I'll give you three guesses how many of those relationships lasted longer than 2 weeks. I'll give you two more guesses if it ended up a bullet on several packages.
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 20+Years View Post
    The worst mentor fiasco I have ever seen was where a TOP III assigned mentors to Amn who expressed interest. The TOP III pres would walk around and ask Amn if they would like a mentor who "was on the right track", and the assign them who they felt appropriate.

I'll give you three guesses how many of those relationships lasted longer than 2 weeks. I'll give you two more guesses if it ended up a bullet on several packages.
    This is a case of people with not enough to do. Admittedly, there were times I didn't have enough to do. That's when I grabbed my fishing rod from the car and hid for awhile. Once I slipped off a rock falling knee high into the salt water....on a Blues Monday. When I came back my shoes squished water the rest of the day and the CC exec kept asking why white stains kept appearing on my trousers. Every time I tried to grab a wet paper towel and wipe those damn salt stains away they would reappear 20 minutes later.

Thread Information