Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Active duty folks: Do you follow this AFI? If not, why not?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Active duty folks: Do you follow this AFI? If not, why not?

AFI 36-3106

8.1. The Installation Commander:

8.1.8. Ensures retirees receive the same respect and courtesy shown to active duty members by informing active duty members that retirees will be addressed by their retired grade (except for those retirees who are currently employed by Civil Service) to include the retiree’s grade on all official records; and to address retirees by their retired grade in official correspondence. Installation commanders should periodically forward guidance to units and organization about continuing to show military respect to retirees.

I did this without fail when I was on active duty and dealt with retirees. Now that I'm on the other side of the fence, it seems that compliance with the policy is hit or miss. Security Forces is great about it at the gate. The legal office is a coin flip. Medical is more miss than hit.

I don't raise a fuss when it doesn't happen because it's not in my best interest to do so. If I'm dealing with the military, it's for customer service. If I raised a fuss, I'd be labeled as "that guy" and possibly subject to reprisal on the level or type of customer service I got. Still, it leaves a poor impression of the person's professionalism.

So, do you follow this AFI? If not, why not?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Active duty folks: Do you follow this AFI? If not, why not?

I honestly didn't know that this AFI existed, so I would have to say no, I did not follow it. I certainly never had an installation commander inform me of any of the above provisions. I never really had any interaction with retirees on a normal basis, except for the rare occasion that one would call the base weather station with a general question. I would always be respectful either way, but I did not know that addressing them by their retired grade was a requirement.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Not sure if this is rule is followed since I haven't dealt with retirees. If need be, I wouldn't mind addressing them by their retired grade on OFFICIAL correspondence. What I would mind is if some retiree who still thinks he/she has authority over me try to have me address them by their retired grade.

As far as I'm concerned, once you retire, you're all on the same level and hold the same grade, Mr. or Mrs.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Renazance View Post
    What I would mind is if some retiree who still thinks he/she has authority over me try to have me address them by their retired grade.

As far as I'm concerned, once you retire, you're all on the same level and hold the same grade, Mr. or Mrs.
    As a retiree, I completely agree with you. My military days are right where they belong - behind me.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

LOL. The AD to AD conversations rarely use rank at the hospital.

You are right though, if you go around quoting obscure AFIs to those currently enlisted...you are "that guy"

You earned your retirement, go enjoy it.
    Must be nice to have breakfest with family....Maintenance guys have got it made-BRUWIN

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SENDBILLMONEY View Post
    AFI 36-3106

8.1. The Installation Commander:

8.1.8. Ensures retirees receive the same respect and courtesy shown to active duty members by informing active duty members that retirees will be addressed by their retired grade (except for those retirees who are currently employed by Civil Service) to include the retiree’s grade on all official records; and to address retirees by their retired grade in official correspondence. Installation commanders should periodically forward guidance to units and organization about continuing to show military respect to retirees.

I did this without fail when I was on active duty and dealt with retirees. Now that I'm on the other side of the fence, it seems that compliance with the policy is hit or miss. Security Forces is great about it at the gate. The legal office is a coin flip. Medical is more miss than hit.

I don't raise a fuss when it doesn't happen because it's not in my best interest to do so. If I'm dealing with the military, it's for customer service. If I raised a fuss, I'd be labeled as "that guy" and possibly subject to reprisal on the level or type of customer service I got. Still, it leaves a poor impression of the person's professionalism.

So, do you follow this AFI? If not, why not?
    At finance we used an access database for customer sign in. Whatever the customer signed in as is what we called them up by. If they signed in as Mr. Smith we called them up by that. If they signed in a CMSgt Smith that is how we called them up. After initially calling the person up you really have no reason to address them by name after that so it was never really an issue.

I will tell you what was an issue though. One day a brand new GS civilian stopped by. He clicked on the list and the first title that jumped out to him was "General" since he did not notice Mr. was an option. We were debating about whether or not to call the room to attention when we called him up. He looked very young for a General so we decided against it. After we called him up we kindly explained that Gen. is a rank in the military and his proper term of address is Mr.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

When I was in the Army Medical Department, I ensured that I (and my troops) addressed retirees with the proper rank. I also told them that if the retiree said to "Just call me Bill", they could switch to "Mr. Anderson". The retiree earned the title of address, and it is theirs to decline - not ours.

As a retiree now, I feel a little different. I had my time in uniform, and I retired. Therefore, in my opinion, I have no rank. My title of address is "Mister".

Of course, you never know how each retiree will react. There are those that still cling to their rank, and those that couldn't care less.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

One more thing to add: I had a roomate who worked in the hospital at WPAFB. He said there was a retired Chief who would insist on being called Chief and would lecture people when they did not address him as such. One day my roomate sees this guy at the ER. He called him up as "CMSgt Retired" I see nothing wrong with that. If you want to be called by your rank that is fine but I have no problem reminding you that the rank you want to be addressed by is the rank you used to hold.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    In the Army...officially...aren't Warrant Officers meant to be called "Mister"?

EDIT: Yes, they are.

The Army Warrant Officer is an adaptive technical expert, combat leader, trainer, and advisor. Through progressive levels of expertise in assignments, training, and education, the Warrant Officer administers, manages, maintains, operates, and integrates Army systems and equipment across the full spectrum of Army operations. Warrant Officers are formally addressed as either Mr. or Ms. - Army.mil

Now the question is...do you all really call them that??
    Let's not police up the Army until we get "Senior" under control

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    When I was in the Army Medical Department, I ensured that I (and my troops) addressed retirees with the proper rank. I also told them that if the retiree said to "Just call me Bill", they could switch to "Mr. Anderson". The retiree earned the title of address, and it is theirs to decline - not ours.

As a retiree now, I feel a little different. I had my time in uniform, and I retired. Therefore, in my opinion, I have no rank. My title of address is "Mister".

Of course, you never know how each retiree will react. There are those that still cling to their rank, and those that couldn't care less.
    In the Army...officially...aren't Warrant Officers meant to be called "Mister"?

EDIT: Yes, they are.

The Army Warrant Officer is an adaptive technical expert, combat leader, trainer, and advisor. Through progressive levels of expertise in assignments, training, and education, the Warrant Officer administers, manages, maintains, operates, and integrates Army systems and equipment across the full spectrum of Army operations. Warrant Officers are formally addressed as either Mr. or Ms. - Army.mil

Now the question is...do you all really call them that??
    Last edited by BOSS302; 06-17-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Thread Information