Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Air Force aircraft and acquisition

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Air Force aircraft and acquisition

Couple of interesting articles of late:

The AF will accept a decreased Initial Operating Capability (IOC) for the F35. AF will accept IOC with 12 aircraft (crews and mx) in 2016, minus the 3F software package, which is needed for core AF missions. The 3F package is expected in 2018, but is considered high risk on that deliver date.

The AF is confused, they've ordered C27J aircraft to the boneyard AND submitted plans to congress to buy more of them.

The KC46 critical design review (CDR) is in June.
    he CDR is the key milestone before beginning production that finalizes production design. The tanker program has quietly moved along at a brisk pace, completing all of it's designs, reviews and milestones prior to the CDR in 30 months. The program is apparently on cost and on schedule.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Air Force aircraft and acquisition

The F35 needs to be shelved. The decreased IOC should be unacceptable to any warfighter.

The decisions on the C27J are amazing.

The progress on the KC46 is great. Hope the CDR goes well. It is indeed a vital review.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

One of the interesting tid-bits on the C27 article is that "Congress ordered the Air Force within the 2013 National Defense Authorization Act to form a working group and add 32 strategic airlifters. "

The C27J is a tactical airlifter...so it seems a bit redundant for the Donely to say that C27s wouldn't likely be considered. Though the congress order for more strat airlift is somewhat interesting in itself...the only possibility is the C17...no other strat airlifter is in production. I suppose it's within the realm of possibility that they meant to suggest the AF consider buying commercial cargo aircraft. That idea has been proposed before, and has died a quiet death because of the CRAF lobby and the difficulty retaining pilots. So I don't know what sort of "working group" would be needed.

It does occur to me that this might be an "under the wire" introduction of funding to study a future strategic airlifter.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OtisRNeedleman View Post
    The F35 needs to be shelved. The decreased IOC should be unacceptable to any warfighter.

The decisions on the C27J are amazing.

The progress on the KC46 is great. Hope the CDR goes well. It is indeed a vital review.
    The KC-46 should be on time, it's not like reinventing the wheel on the 767 an airplane that's been around since the 1980's. Plus another thing it has going for it has a Boeing management team on it instead of Lockheed Martin which seems to just to program cost overruns into their business model. Disclaimer, I hate trying to repair everything built by Lockheed.
    I'm not the regular Crew Chief.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The F35 needs to be shelved. // They should get rid of the A and B Models and just buy the C version. Get the Marines more FA-18s

The decisions on the C27J are amazing. // Yes, thats how Congress operates. Finish the buy. And give them all to AFSOC. Make mini cargo or gunships out of them.

The progress on the KC46 is great. // So far so good. But at this buy rate. By 2050 we may have replaced all the KC-135s.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

[QUOTE=LFAWes;633778]The F35 needs to be shelved. // They should get rid of the A and B Models and just buy the C version. Get the Marines more FA-18s
    QUOTE]

I have been saying this for about a year now once I got around all the information in this program. I have even tried to start a new thread a couple of times concerning the F-35. But it went into the depths of moderation.
    It got reported over a month ago on some news sites that the tests for the F-35 had to be "dumbed" down for it to pass. Because it is to heavy and slow to pass them. Who in the hell would continue to offer up even more money to this POS? We just got the F-22 out and in full operation and the DOD has scrapped that for the F-35. I admit the Marines love our Harriers but we need something more cost effective. At $159million per plane estimated compared to $140million with the F-22, and $29million with the F/A-18. It is extremely expensive to say the least.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/the...-a-garbage-can

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I had understood that the f-35 project was done already.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The United States still has production lines open for some of the most advanced and proven fighter aircraft in the world - F-16, F-15 (variants of the Strike Eagle and the distinct Silent Eagle), F-18 (the Navy has some grumbles about it). Unfortunately those lines are supplying foreign customers who still see the value in our 4th-Gen fighters. Also, it was a mistake to shutdown the F-22 line so early.

The U.S. Air Force needs to realize that the cost for the F-35 is just too much and the cost is not supported by its performance; it's meant to do the job of an A-10 and an F-16 but lacks the capabilities of both. Open the lines up to supply the USAF; develop F-16s and F-15s with 4th Gen + technology. The Super Tucano is a perfect example of what can be accomplished when you put modern technology on a proven and reliable flying platform.

In regards to the Navy and Marines, let them design a aircraft for THEIR distinct needs. The Marines seem to do a bang-up job when it comes to development and acquisition (their uniform study was only six figures and the product was a SUCCESS).
    Last edited by BOSS302; 06-17-2013 at 04:10 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Boss, I've been making that same argument re: F35 since 2008 when it was clear that the aircraft was going to be way over cost and behind schedule. Now that it's clear that it won't meet it's performance baseline...I'm not sure what reason there is to continue the program from a military perspective. Why the AF is still backing this aircraft is a little baffling.

Politically, it's practically impossible to cancel it, given the current climate in DC.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinkieToes View Post
    I had understood that the f-35 project was done already.
    Yeah right, it won't be "done" at least for another 5 years to a decade.

Thread Information