Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kadena in the news again...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Kadena in the news again...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Kadena in the news again...

That's what happens when f%#k a stranger in the a$$.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I honestly wonder what the disconnect is, and why people act they way they do in Okinawa. I was in my early 20's when I lived in Europe and I honestly do not remember hearing crazy stories like this in Germany. I was stationed in Misawa and some of the stuff that would happen over the weekends amazed me. I have drank to excess, but I have never broke into another persons home and fell asleep in their child's bed or decided to vandalize personal property.

Is it a socioeconomic issue? A lack of parenting? A lack of enforcing discipline on behalf of the frontline supervisor? With all of this in mind I still do not understand why the individual isn't hammered by leadership. I'm talking physical punishment. I would venture to guess that some people would reconsider acting like an ass if the possibility of a intense caning was the punishment for their actions. Holding EVERYONE accountable surely hasn't worked yet...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AFKILO7 View Post
    I honestly wonder what the disconnect is, and why people act they way they do in Okinawa. I was in my early 20's when I lived in Europe and I honestly do not remember hearing crazy stories like this in Germany. I was stationed in Misawa and some of the stuff that would happen over the weekends amazed me. I have drank to excess, but I have never broke into another persons home and fell asleep in their child's bed or decided to vandalize personal property.

Is it a socioeconomic issue? A lack of parenting? A lack of enforcing discipline on behalf of the frontline supervisor? With all of this in mind I still do not understand why the individual isn't hammered by leadership. I'm talking physical punishment. I would venture to guess that some people would reconsider acting like an ass if the possibility of a intense caning was the punishment for their actions. Holding EVERYONE accountable surely hasn't worked yet...
    I think a contributing factor is the type of drinking that goes on in Japan, binge drinking.

Maybe it is because all the bars are clustered into the same area and people leave one bar and then stop off at another place and then repeat the process until they are too far gone.

I used to tend bar in a neighborhood of Baltimore that has about 60 bars and restaurants in a one square mile area and saw the same thing every weekend. Some people felt like they had to hit them all in one night.
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 06-17-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I think a contributing factor it is the type of drinking that goes on in Japan, binge drinking.

Maybe it is because all the bars are clustered into the same area and people leave one bar and then stop off at another place and then repeat the process until they are too far gone.

I used to tend bar in a neighborhood of Baltimore that has about 60 bars and restaurants in a one square mile area and saw the same thing every weekend. Some people felt like they had to hit them all in one night.
    Does USFJ have a curfew policy right now? I know binge drinking was a huge problem in Korea too, with all the bars clustered in the ville outside the gates. It seems like a lot of people would try to consume as much alcohol as possible downtown before the drunk march back to base to make the 1 A.M. curfew. I'm not sure if things changed when they lifted the curfew in '09, but I have heard USFK reinstated a curfew not long after lifting it. Maybe one of the guys who is in Korea now could answer that question.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RFScott View Post
    Does USFJ have a curfew policy right now? I know binge drinking was a huge problem in Korea too, with all the bars clustered in the ville outside the gates. It seems like a lot of people would try to consume as much alcohol as possible downtown before the drunk march back to base to make the 1 A.M. curfew. I'm not sure if things changed when they lifted the curfew in '09, but I have heard USFK reinstated a curfew not long after lifting it. Maybe one of the guys who is in Korea now could answer that question.
    USFK has a minimum curfew of 1am - 5am. However, the U.S. Army has fluctuated in the severity of the curfew over the past year due to jackasses in Seoul doing jackass things, such as the BB gun incident and the groping of a woman incident. Kunsan AB also has a curfew of 12am for...whatever reason the Kunsan Wing/CC decided.

USFK did do away with the curfew and, interestingly, incidents involving US service members DROPPED. The following USFK commander introduced curfew again for "Force Protection" issues, of course....

As it stands now, Osan AB has a curfew of 1am to 5am but the Songtan Entertainment District - "the strip" of bars and restaurants and clubs and cafes right outside the front of the base - is completely off-limits from 11am until 5am due to protests at the main gate.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Never been to Kadena, but in Mildenhall there were 5 or 6 pubs all within in walking distance, all happily selling strong beer and spirits. Rarely is there ever a problem outside of your normal debauchery. Maybe because the UK has more of a binge drinking culture and its easier for a 20 year old blonde hair blue eye male to disappear into the crowd? I know Germany has a celebrated drinking culture al well. Our time is limited in Kadena I think.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

This nonsense has been going on since we took over the island. Its just now we have it sent all over the world in minutes. And everyone is hyper sensitive to it.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Never been to Kadena, but in Mildenhall there were 5 or 6 pubs all within in walking distance, all happily selling strong beer and spirits. Rarely is there ever a problem outside of your normal debauchery. Maybe because the UK has more of a binge drinking culture and its easier for a 20 year old blonde hair blue eye male to disappear into the crowd? I know Germany has a celebrated drinking culture al well. Our time is limited in Kadena I think.
    The Bird in Hand was right outside the gate. I mean, the parking lot of the Bird in Hand pub was hemmed in on one side by the base perimeter fence! I saw many a drunk American during my time there and the reaction from the Brits vs Japanese (and Koreans) is so culturally different.

The Brits have no problem punching it out with drunk Americans; the Brits have no problem sending a drunk American up the road to sleep it off; they have no issue letting their "Bobbies" handle our drunks. They very rarely - if ever! - turn an incident involving drunk Americans into something big. I would assume it is the culture of Western values, common law values, and the propensity for the Brits to be quite the drunkards themselves.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    The Bird in Hand was right outside the gate. I mean, the parking lot of the Bird in Hand pub was hemmed in on one side by the base perimeter fence! I saw many a drunk American during my time there and the reaction from the Brits vs Japanese (and Koreans) is so culturally different.

The Brits have no problem punching it out with drunk Americans; the Brits have no problem sending a drunk American up the road to sleep it off; they have no issue letting their "Bobbies" handle our drunks. They very rarely - if ever! - turn an incident involving drunk Americans into something big. I would assume it is the culture of Western values, common law values, and the propensity for the Brits to be quite the drunkards themselves.
    Agreed. Similar to my experiences in Germany.

The Media is also to blame, by picking/choosing which stories to run.
    Must be nice to have breakfest with family....Maintenance guys have got it made-BRUWIN

Thread Information