Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle training

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Motorcycle training

Basically, DOD military motorcycle riders are now required to have recurring training beyond the initial MSF Basic Rider Course. Something like, after the first 60 days/year then every 5 years. Pg 14 http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/605504p.pdf

How is your location handling this? Won't the courses be booked into eternity? Who will pay for this MANDATORY training? Usually these courses(not the Basic Rider Course) require you use your own bike...not sure how I feel about that for a MANDATORY course.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by KnuckleDragger; 06-16-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    Must be nice to have breakfest with family....Maintenance guys have got it made-BRUWIN

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Motorcycle training

Anyone know the fatality rate for riders over the age of 26, 30 or higher? Not sure recurring training is necessary for the more experienced riders.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    Even worse to hear a commander (who's never rode) giving their opinions...be like me briefing a pilot on flight procedures...
    Every year at Motorcycle Safety Day! I loved the one that compared horseback riding.
    Must be nice to have breakfest with family....Maintenance guys have got it made-BRUWIN

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

How long until this forum is fixed?
    Last edited by KnuckleDragger; 06-15-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

So glad to be a civilian now...I'm 52...been riding for over 20 years...ride a H-D Road King...never go above 70 MPH...never ride after drinking ANY amount of alcohol. Pained me to sit in that theater and look at the videos of all the crotch rocket dumba$$es doing dumb $shit.
    But like all military training, always set to the lowest denominator.

Even worse to hear a commander (who's never rode) giving their opinions...be like me briefing a pilot on flight procedures...
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

"Anyone know the fatality rate for riders over the age of 26, 30 or higher? Not sure recurring training is necessary for the more experienced riders."

Sport bikes are the primary type of motorcycle involved in these fatal mishaps. Enlisted members account for 100 percent of the fatalities with an average age of 25. Ten of the 18 were under the age of 25 and all Airmen were wearing a helmet. The majority of the mishaps involved a single vehicle mishap where the rider lost control either due to inattention, speed or misjudging a corner. Whatever the reason, human error is the leading cause of these senseless deaths.

- Air Force Safety Center, Oct 2012

It would appear as though the stats and trends support a more targeted, scalpel approach to motorcycle safety instead of the typical Air Force broadsword/war hammer reaction.

I was going to buy a Harley in 2010; I am not licensed but have ridden motorcycles and dirt bikes many times as a youngling back home in the country roads of Georgia. A scary moment for me was when I was on a dirt bike at the age of 13 and, being an ass clown, lost control and ended up in a drainage creek.

USAFE wanted me to do everything short of an altar sacrifice in order to get the USAFE endorsement to operate a motorcycle. The State of Georgia simply wanted me to complete the basic rider's course and they would amend my license to show motorcycle certification. I guess the DMV takes an approach of letting Darwinism balance it all out...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post
    How long until this forum is fixed?
    'When the 'KK' gets their CC degree"!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RobotChicken View Post
    "Negative Ghost Rider; under the new non decal bases as of july 1 2013; retied service members do not need anything but a helmet and ID card for base (motorcycle endorsement Drivers licence) Following states guidelines,base rules/regs do Not apply!"
    What are you talking aboot?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RobotChicken View Post
    "Negative Ghost Rider; under the new non decal bases as of july 1 2013; retied service members do not need anything but a helmet and ID card for base (motorcycle endorsement Drivers licence) Following states guidelines,base rules/regs do Not apply!"
    What are you talking aboot?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Military (AF) motorcycle safety training is a joke. Like already mentioned, how is a commander who never rode a motorcycle going to tell me about mc safety? The best was a little twerp commander I had who told me how much he hates "doner" cycles and since he thinks they are dangerous then I no one should ride. My current old ass Harley had 120,000 miles on it, so I think I'm a little more qualified to know about my own safety than a non-riding safety officer.

Thread Information