Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Air Force vs Marine retirement

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Air Force vs Marine retirement

As I meet vets out in my community, I alway encounter Marines who call me a candy-ass or girl scout, ect. Yet, these Marines only seem to serve 6 to 8 years. So I have to ask, who is the candy-ass? The 20 year AF retireee or the 8 year Marine. Does anybody know the retiree/retension rates between the two services? Maybe they are just sour that they didn't do the stretch. Any thoughts?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Air Force vs Marine retirement

Quote Originally Posted by TSgt"M" View Post
    As I meet vets out in my community, I alway encounter Marines who call me a candy-ass or girl scout, ect. Yet, these Marines only seem to serve 6 to 8 years. So I have to ask, who is the candy-ass? The 20 year AF retireee or the 8 year Marine. Does anybody know the retiree/retension rates between the two services? Maybe they are just sour that they didn't do the stretch. Any thoughts?
    Give us some more details candy ass!

Seriously, I hope you aren't letting it bother you, just smile at them. Oh, you might want to post this in the Marine section to get maximum coverage.
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 06-15-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

For fun you should ask them to explain a MAGTF. Most will give you the deer-in-the-headlights look. I especially like the ones who wear the USMC shirts/hats etc 20+ years after they served their 3-year stint. Such badasses!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I don't know. I've met quite a few Marine retirees. Not as many as AF but then they are the smaller service.

As for the AF being candy asses or not...I always just figure they're jealous since we don't get treated like total crap all the time.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Don't let them bother you, probably a bunch of admin guys. Funny how the "bad asses" I meet end up been in an office job, matter of fact met one a couple months ago. Once you talk to them and they realize they aren't the only Marine in the room, the war stories tend to tone down some...

Oh, and Flaps, most of the old guys could give the first word of MAGTF perhaps, although it is a simple concept at the high level.
    Disclaimer: All names, dates and locations have been changed in order to protect the guilty.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Don't let them bother you, probably a bunch of admin guys. Funny how the "bad asses" I meet end up been in an office job, matter of fact met one a couple months ago. Once you talk to them and they realize they aren't the only Marine in the room, the war stories tend to tone down some...

Oh, and Flaps, most of the old guys could give the first word of MAGTF perhaps, although it is a simple concept at the high level.
    Disclaimer: All names, dates and locations have been changed in order to protect the guilty.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Na, I don't let it bother my candy ass. Most of my high school buds joined the MC, so I've heard this from an early age. I went AF to be different and had enough fun (most of the time) to do the stretch.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Na, I don't let it bother my candy ass. Most of my high school buds joined the MC, so I've heard this from an early age. I went AF to be different and had enough fun (most of the time) to do the stretch.
    Keep on stretching. I'll take my 75% retirement any day. 50% at 20 isn't bad either.
    How many years do you have in?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    I don't know. I've met quite a few Marine retirees. Not as many as AF but then they are the smaller service.
    More importantly than the fact that the Marines are smaller, they also promote a smaller percentage of people up through the ranks. The percentage of senior officers / senior NCOs to the rest of the force is much smaller than in the other 3 services. The USMC actually practices the "up or out" principle.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Just tell them real veterans don't act like assholes.

Thread Information