Thread: Entertainment District outside Osan AB declared off-limits

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Entertainment District outside Osan AB declared off-limits

Strange to see the place darker than hell last night,

Entertainment District outside Osan AB declared off-limits
    By Jon Rabiroff
    Stars and Stripes

SEOUL – The Songtan Entertainment District outside Osan Air Base has been declared off-limits for 18 hours every day starting Friday because of planned protests by area club owners over the decision to prohibit servicemembers from frequenting a half-dozen bars found to be promoting prostitution.

The entertainment district is to be off-limits from 11 a.m. to 5 a.m.

“This action is necessary to ensure the safety and welfare of military and civilian personnel and family members, and to avert incidents and provocations detrimental to the alliance between the United States and Republic of Korea,” said a statement posted on Facebook and attributed to the installation command.

Songtan is home to dozens of so-called “juicy bars” where primarily Philippine women are employed as hostesses, flirting with servicemembers and trying to get them to buy them expensive juice drinks.

While flirting is as far as things go at some juicy bars, others are notorious for forcing their hostesses to prostitute themselves when they fall short of drink-sale quotas.

A spokeswoman for the 51st Fighter Wing command said the bar owners’ association has said that between 50 and 150 supporters will protest for as many as 30 days.

“To ensure the safety and welfare of our service members, the Songtan Entertainment District will be temporarily placed off-limits for the duration of the protests,” said a release from the command.

The main gate will be closed to all vehicles and most pedestrian traffic. All military personnel who reside off base are being asked to wear civilian clothes when traveling to and from base.

More than 50 base-area establishments, including juicy bars, are now off-limits to soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines in South Korea because of ties to prostitution and human trafficking. Six in the Songtan Entertainment District were recently added to the list of by 51st Fighter Wing commander Col. Patrick McKenzie.

“Establishments may be put off limits to all military personnel until the 51st Fighter Wing commander has determined that the establishment has instituted adequate corrective actions to again make it a safe environment for our service members to visit,” said the release from the command.
    Gratitude is the cornerstone of happiness. It's all about noticing what's RIGHT in our lives instead of what's wrong!" MJ Ryan.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Entertainment District outside Osan AB declared off-limits

"BX Closed too?? LOL!!"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Oh gee...and I wouldn't be surprised if the number of sexual assaults increases on base during this time frame, too.

Listen, people....human nature isn't pretty. Never has been, never will be. People need sex just as much as they need to eat, breathe, and sleep. With a limited number of American females who are willing to put out, there are more horny dudes than there are women. At least some of these guys can pay the ajuma the 10,000 Won for a drink, and negotiate the evening's events from there.

My suggestion (aka solution) is for the Fifty-Worst, er 51st Fighter Wing to work hand in hand with the bar owners and ensure that the girls aren't being trafficked. Also, have the bar owners cough up documents showing these girls are willing to work in the sex industry, and that there's no bait-and-switch involved. Even go so far to interview the girls too. This way, drunk horny dudes on a Friday/Saturday night can get their rocks off with a consenting adult, and commanders don't have to waste more tax-payer money handing out UMCJ actions.

My god, this isn't rocket science, people....
    Thats most of America....we work ourselves to death, literally - Michaep

Not this American. I plan on leisuring myself to death. - Shrike

****Disclaimer - All posts are for entertainment purposes only!!!! I accept no responsibility if you take whatever I write to be serious and/or factual! Any resemblance to the truth is purely fictional and coincidental at best.****

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I remember when all the bars in Songtan closed down for about 3 weeks in protest over Doc Foglesong's interpretation and enforcement of the curfew. they were buring him in effigy at the main gate.
    Both NCO clubs, dorm dayrooms, hooches (the ones he didn't already close down) became open brawls.
    I don't remember what resolved the situation (other than maybe Doc seeing the light) but those were some interesting times...
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE666 View Post
    Oh gee...and I wouldn't be surprised if the number of sexual assaults increases on base during this time frame, too.

Listen, people....human nature isn't pretty. Never has been, never will be. People need sex just as much as they need to eat, breathe, and sleep. With a limited number of American females who are willing to put out, there are more horny dudes than there are women. At least some of these guys can pay the ajuma the 10,000 Won for a drink, and negotiate the evening's events from there.

My suggestion (aka solution) is for the Fifty-Worst, er 51st Fighter Wing to work hand in hand with the bar owners and ensure that the girls aren't being trafficked. Also, have the bar owners cough up documents showing these girls are willing to work in the sex industry, and that there's no bait-and-switch involved. Even go so far to interview the girls too. This way, drunk horny dudes on a Friday/Saturday night can get their rocks off with a consenting adult, and commanders don't have to waste more tax-payer money handing out UMCJ actions.

My god, this isn't rocket science, people....
    You sound like you have been talking to the mayor of Osaka, Japan.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...s-sex/2362951/
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 06-18-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    You sound like you have been talking to the mayor of Osaka, Japan.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...s-sex/2362951/
    Ha ha - the only difference is I don't advocate rape.

Prostitution is legal in Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg, yet all these countries have significantly lower sex crimes. Coincidence?
    Thats most of America....we work ourselves to death, literally - Michaep

Not this American. I plan on leisuring myself to death. - Shrike

****Disclaimer - All posts are for entertainment purposes only!!!! I accept no responsibility if you take whatever I write to be serious and/or factual! Any resemblance to the truth is purely fictional and coincidental at best.****

Thread Information