Thread: Bishop John Shelby Spong

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Bishop John Shelby Spong

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Thanks to Measure Man for posting this video in another thread!

I find Bishop Spong’s ideas very interesting and much in line with the kind thinking that led me to atheism. I am surprised to see he is still a believer with these views of scripture and the church.

I might pick up one of his books to read this summer.

The following is an excerpt from Spong’s wiki page:

Spong's writings rely on Biblical and non-Biblical sources and are influenced by modern critical analysis of these sources (see especially Spong, 1991). He is representative of a stream of thought with roots in the medieval universalism of Peter Abelard and the existentialism of Paul Tillich, whom he has called his favorite theologian.[5]

A prominent theme in Spong's writing is that the popular and literal interpretations of Christian scripture are not sustainable and do not speak honestly to the situation of modern Christian communities. He believes in a more nuanced approach to scripture, informed by scholarship and compassion, which can be consistent with both Christian tradition and contemporary understandings of the universe. He believes that theism has lost credibility as a valid conception of God's nature.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Bishop John Shelby Spong

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post

I find Bishop Spong’s ideas very interesting and much in line with the kind thinking that led me to atheism. I am surprised to see he is still a believer with these views of scripture and the church.

Spong's writings rely on Biblical and non-Biblical sources and are influenced by modern critical analysis of these sources (see especially Spong, 1991). He is representative of a stream of thought with roots in the medieval universalism of Peter Abelard and the existentialism of Paul Tillich, whom he has called his favorite theologian.[5]

A prominent theme in Spong's writing is that the popular and literal interpretations of Christian scripture are not sustainable and do not speak honestly to the situation of modern Christian communities. He believes in a more nuanced approach to scripture, informed by scholarship and compassion, which can be consistent with both Christian tradition and contemporary understandings of the universe. He believes that theism has lost credibility as a valid conception of God's nature.
    If your definition of Atheism is the non-belief in religions then I would agree (although that clearly is not the definition of atheism) but he clearly believes in God. He finds fault with the systems of man (I think that is the term he used) which are organized religions.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    If your definition of Atheism is the non-belief in religions then I would agree (although that clearly is not the definition of atheism) but he clearly believes in God. He finds fault with the systems of man (I think that is the term he used) which are organized religions.
    What I was saying is that I started thinking much like Bishop Spong in that the scripture is flawed but I still held out for a belief in God.

I later abandoned believing in God altogether when I concluded that if Christian scripture is nothing more than mythology the presence of any supernatural deity is also likely a just myth.

It seems that Bishop Spong stopped a little short of becoming an atheist and is more what I would call a deist.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

What I was saying is that I started thinking much like Bishop Spong in that the scripture is flawed but I still held out for a belief in God.

I later abandoned believing in God altogether when I concluded that if Christian scripture is nothing more than mythology the presence of any supernatural deity is also likely a just myth.

It seems that Bishop Spong stopped a little short of becoming an atheist and is more what I would call a deist.
    Ok.............

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

"I assume you have abandoned the 'Penn Jillett 10 commandments' of the 'Ringling Brother and Barnum&Bailey Circus Clown College' bought by the AF TA program?"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Nice video....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Thread Information