Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Chow Hall or Dining Facility?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Chow Hall or Dining Facility?

I say neither! Chow Hall brings to mind soft, bland, mystery food that is thrown on a metal tray by a cook in an undershirt named Bubba behind the serving line, something like what you see in the Army. And Dining Facility is a politically correct term used by officious, uptight Services troops suggesting the places are run by professionals and serve gourmet food

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Chow Hall or Dining Facility?

I joined in 87 and called it a chow hall ever since. I like chow halls, especially midnight chow.

So it's not a DFAC and not a Dining Facility, it's a fricken chow hall. Want to preserve "tradition and heritage?" Dump the stupid ass Creed and insist on calling a chow hall the CHOW HALL!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Chow hall, for sure. And in the right part of the country, it's a Chuck Wagon.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I joined the Army 1966 - 1969 (those were chow halls) albeit we called them much worse. I joined the U.S.A.F. 1971 - 1988 we referred to them as a dining halls. Pigs ate chow we dined. One of the best was at Sembach AB Germany.

Always,
    Wildman
    The price of freedom is not free.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    I joined in 87 and called it a chow hall ever since. I like chow halls, especially midnight chow.

So it's not a DFAC and not a Dining Facility, it's a fricken chow hall. Want to preserve "tradition and heritage?" Dump the stupid ass Creed and insist on calling a chow hall the CHOW HALL!
    "WE called it 'DEAD RATS' 'Flaps'! LOL, yours, 'RRC' (It will always be a chow hall, no PC $hit goin to change that)

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

CHow hall!
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Well, whatever people want to call it, it's the same sulphured, processed garbage that comes from the same kind of vendor that supplies foods to school cafeterias. It's just dressed up nicer now.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

This topic reminded me of when I was a young pup, about 26 years ago... on the nightshift as a cop and had to go pick up the box meals for the WSA (Weapons Storage Area RFD); walked in the back door of the chow hall and said to the TSgt standing there, "I'm here to pick up the box nasties." Needless to say, that didn't go over so well! The rest of the chow hall folks heard me and it looked about something like this!
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Neither! Mess hall is the appropriate term! Hence the term mess sgt., not chow sgt. Enlisted mess and officer's mess. Dining facility was for the squids.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by weathtd View Post
    Neither! Mess hall is the appropriate term! Hence the term mess sgt., not chow sgt. Enlisted mess and officer's mess. Dining facility was for the squids.
    Negative! Crew's messdecks, Chief's mess (goat locker), and the Officer's mess (weirdroom).

Thread Information