Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stand down foe SAPR

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Stand down foe SAPR

At least locally, we are standing down for a full day to discuss SAPR.
    Must be nice to have breakfest with family....Maintenance guys have got it made-BRUWIN

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Stand down foe SAPR

Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post
    My SAPR brief:

-Do NOT have sex with AD women
    -Only conduct one on one interaction with AD women in an area under observation of video surveillance

Briefing complete, this was the conclusion of my BIT and we only had one questionable accusation in 2 years. This will reduce accusations and actual sexual assaults by at least 90% AF wide.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

You should recommend that everyone review the Pre-Deployment SAPR training. I just completed it again today. Everyone in in BDUs or ACUs with an 8-point hat. The BG that provided a little snippet is now a LTG in PACAF. This CBT is way out dated. Well, except the MSgt who had a general court martial, reduced to AB and given a dishonorable discharge. That is about right for enlisted members. Not so much for the officers.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Yup, get to go to yet another briefing on Thursday. If there's anything in the briefing that we all haven't seen or heard 100X already, I'll be absolutely shocked.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
    Yup, get to go to yet another briefing on Thursday. If there's anything in the briefing that we all haven't seen or heard 100X already, I'll be absolutely shocked.
    We have the new briefing on a separate occasion.
    Must be nice to have breakfest with family....Maintenance guys have got it made-BRUWIN

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I know commanders want to (have to) show that they are doing something to fix to problem. Briefings are not the answer. For the love of all things holy, I wish I knew what the right answer was... I just know it isn't more briefings.

In my experience, briefings neither prevent the crime, nor do they do well with preventing victimization. I dealt with a case of a TSgt who used his rank and position to harass several of the young airmen that worked in his section. After his punishment was complete, the First Sergeant and I sat down with the victims to not only explain his punishment (I felt they had a right to know how/why I made the decisions I did with that) but to also talk with them about preventing future incidents. All four victims said yes, they had heard all the briefings, and been told over and over to watch out for sexual harrassment, etc...but three also had been convinced by him that he had control over their schedule, thus control over their free time, lives, etc.. When the fourth victim (outside of his section) started asking questions about who he was, another NCO discovered and reported the harrassment.

All four victims admitted they had listened to many briefings....including one or more from me covering sexual assult and harassment and yet, they still believed he had that much power over them. I don't think another briefing would have changed that, nor do I think any more briefings would have let him to change his behavior.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

These briefings are nothing more than a CYA for leadership to show to Congress that they're doing something to mitigate the SA epidemic in the military. Nothing will change until perpetrators are held accountable (especially officers) and stricter punishments are enforced uniformly across the military and civilian legal system.

What these briefings really need is a scared straight type tactic where an old school, Marine drill sergeant comes and simply says, "If you rape, I'll cut your F*CKING d!ck OFF!!!"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Briefings are not going to do crap. People who do this just need to be nailed to the wall and maybe the fear factor will prevent the borderlines from doing it. All i know is I'm glad to be married I'd be scared to take an AD woman out on a date.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

It seems that the briefings are not working. It is time to try a new approach. For most things that the AF considers important we recieve "hands on" training. I think it is time we do the same with sexual assualt prevention. I plan on suggesting that tomorrow my unit should stand down and have a sexual assualt prevention put into practice. The day will begin with a massive keg party. Women will be asked to dress in skimpy clothing and get totally obliterated. After the keg party has ended we will be taking the entire unit to our local gentlemen's club where they will learn that women sometimes flirt but that does not mean you can grope them unless they let you (expecting officers to have a hard time with this one). If anyone is getting out of hand we will also have a chance to practice bystander intervention. Please plan on being on your best behavior you rapists.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

If they are taking a whole day, why don't they do all the damn briefings at once? Why do I have to go to a day of SAPR AND a five hour SARC briefing?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Thread Information