Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Sex assaults

  1. #1
    JD2780 Guest

    Default Sex assaults

    Some female senators were going crazy asking why 1/100 go to trial and why 1/10 provide a conviction?

    The 1/100 I don't know. Maybe it's because insufficient evidence.

    For the 1/10 conviction rate, perhaps it's because the accused didn't actually commit rape? Would some of these folks like wrongful convictions so we can in turn rape their careers?

    No woman or man should ever endure a rape or a sexual assault, but at what cost do we pursue this? Throw accused careers away for the sake of playing nice with senators?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Sex assaults

    I wish these female senators could read the security police reports that I read as a commander. They would see an entirely different picture. Given the lack of any moral compass that most young men and women have today, in addition to the "hook-up" mentality that is everywhere in today's media, most of these "sexual assaults" or more "drunken regret".

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Williamsburg VA
    Posts
    1,879
    Likes (Received)
    356
    Thanks (Received)
    218

    Default Re: Sex assaults

    Just maybe these senators should look at the civilian societies they created that are giving us these recruits and officers FIRST instead of blaming it ALL on OUR military societies doings; when their equal everything goes in a 18-21 year old's mind being conditioned to nuke a million people or wipe out a third world country at a drop of a hat!(or salute) This is apples and oranges,real life;not Hollywood! (never saw any body bags in a McDonalds supply cabinet) Our civilians raised them till 18+ and THEN gave 'em to us! We have to fix 'em too? (Happy Bob?)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central Canada
    Posts
    704
    Likes (Received)
    262
    Thanks (Received)
    15

    Default Re: Sex assaults

    After sitting a rape trial, I can tell you not everything is black and white. Thre are definitely three sides to every story. Sitting, as a juror, what eveidence would you need to declare someone guilty of rape? Just the womans story and some tears, or true evidence (rape kit, verified DNA, pictures, clear video, ect). Most likely none of those will be available if a rape is not reported for a day or two. Thats why the conviction rate is so low.
    Advice from JD2780:

    "don't post angry"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,803
    Likes (Received)
    67
    Thanks (Received)
    6

    Default Re: Sex assaults

    Quote Originally Posted by 20+Years View Post
    After sitting a rape trial, I can tell you not everything is black and white. Thre are definitely three sides to every story. Sitting, as a juror, what eveidence would you need to declare someone guilty of rape? Just the womans story and some tears, or true evidence (rape kit, verified DNA, pictures, clear video, ect). Most likely none of those will be available if a rape is not reported for a day or two. Thats why the conviction rate is so low.
    Agreed. It goes both ways. There's plenty of baseless rape claims, and there's plenty cases of - if you will - "legitimate rape" getting swept under the rug.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Overland Park KS
    Posts
    279
    Likes (Received)
    70
    Thanks (Received)
    32

    Default Re: Sex assaults

    Quote Originally Posted by Retired USAF Officer View Post
    I wish these female senators could read the security police reports that I read as a commander. They would see an entirely different picture. Given the lack of any moral compass that most young men and women have today, in addition to the "hook-up" mentality that is everywhere in today's media, most of these "sexual assaults" or more "drunken regret".
    So what criteria do you as a commander use? If a women says she was assaulted do you take her seriously or wish she would keep her mouth shut? Not a easy task but one that needs to be addressed IMO. Where is the leadership also, my subordinates (the ones I supervised) were more afraid of me than they were of the commander and knew I would make their life a living hell if they messed up. Cases of sexual assault were not that prevalent. Oh they may have occurred but if they did I did not see but one case in my 17 years with the Air Force, and it happened to be an individual whom I supervised. It turned out to be a drunken regret, but I still recommended and got the commander to administer an article 15 and to take a stripe. The female received like wise.

    Always,
    Wildman
    Last edited by wildman; 06-06-2013 at 12:11 AM.
    The price of freedom is not free.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,744
    Likes (Received)
    155
    Thanks (Received)
    23

    Default Re: Sex assaults

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    Agreed. It goes both ways. There's plenty of baseless rape claims, and there's plenty cases of - if you will - "legitimate rape" getting swept under the rug.
    I'll agree with joe here.. there are plenty of cases that are more than likely 'drunken regret'. but there are also going to be cases where the 'good old boys' protect their star workers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SRB
    Posts
    967
    Likes (Received)
    414
    Thanks (Received)
    91

    Default Re: Sex assaults

    Wow....JD you statistics are scary. If your statistic is true then compare it to the statistics I heard* from a LEO that handles child abuse cases..... Of all reported child abuse cases, only 20% go to trial (delays in reporting, lack of evidence, conflicting motives for reporting with no evidence of assault) and only 7% of child sexual assaults get a conviction (loss of hymen, STD, narrow time frame of when it happen with no other perps to commit act, or [very rare to test for] DNA of STD matches perps STD's DNA). It is one of the more frustrating fields in law enforcement because of the nature and lack of conviction.

    In comparison, military sexual assaults have just a 10% conviction rate of all trials, while child sexual abuse is 35% (20% trial/ 7% conviction of all reported). Considering the extreme limitations that occur in prosecuting child sexual assaults, that statistic is a shameful conviction rate.

    * Granted, the statistics I shared are repeated in that field, but I did not look up the statistics to confirm the accuracy or source. Take it as you wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrake View Post
    Not to stick my oar in to deep because I bet I am missing a nice twist by Greg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    You can keep forcing people to walk between the lines, but the organic nature of this community will result in water finding its level, irrespective of artificial constrictions. I don't know why you guys keep trying to force things. It's not really working, from what I can tell and just annoys loyal posters. But, as has been shown, you can take your ball and go home, and there's nothing we can do about it.

  9. #9
    JD2780 Guest

    Default Re: Sex assaults

    Quote Originally Posted by RS6405 View Post
    Wow....JD you statistics are scary. If your statistic is true then compare it to the statistics I heard* from a LEO that handles child abuse cases..... Of all reported child abuse cases, only 20% go to trial (delays in reporting, lack of evidence, conflicting motives for reporting with no evidence of assault) and only 7% of child sexual assaults get a conviction (loss of hymen, STD, narrow time frame of when it happen with no other perps to commit act, or [very rare to test for] DNA of STD matches perps STD's DNA). It is one of the more frustrating fields in law enforcement because of the nature and lack of conviction.

    In comparison, military sexual assaults have just a 10% conviction rate of all trials, while child sexual abuse is 35% (20% trial/ 7% conviction of all reported). Considering the extreme limitations that occur in prosecuting child sexual assaults, that statistic is a shameful conviction rate.

    * Granted, the statistics I shared are repeated in that field, but I did not look up the statistics to confirm the accuracy or source. Take it as you wish.
    I got the stats from a senator on the news. Obviously not exact.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Stumps
    Posts
    26
    Likes (Received)
    7
    Thanks (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Sex assaults

    Here's the issue with why it is so hard to try and convict these cases...

    She says he did, he says he didn't. There is no other evidence. Throw in the defense umbrella provided by the comments made from the POTUS/CMC that give lawyers the undue influence card to play and you're looking at a defense attorney's dream. It's hard to get convictions, the solution is to prevent rape in the first place, hammer people for fraternization, and for the love of god get girls to understand that they have to be more vigilant because sadly they are in a vulnerable state in the barracks.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •