Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Air Force rules that should be changed

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Air Force rules that should be changed

From reflective belts to taking time off, there are some regulations airmen voice their opinions about regularly.

What rules do you think need changing? How would you go about changing them?

Post your responses here, or send them to dsorlie@airforcetimes.com. Your comments may be used in an upcoming story.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Air Force rules that should be changed

I think the Air Force should become an actual military branch.

*RUNS*

JD2780 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post

*RUNS*
    You're not far off JB.

Crews rest for JTACs when not deployed.

Hats being able to stick out of pockets, I've had many Romads get harassed for having their PC stick out of their pocket.

Allow TACPs the option to wear their aligned Army unit patches on the ABU. We had a tradition of wearing them then the AF scrapped its tradition to make a tradition.

Allow JTACs to wear the graduate patch when done with the advanced instructor course, since its aligned with weapons school.

Yes, my comments are TACP related because that's the world I know.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post

*RUNS*
    I think the Air Force should become, or return to, being "less" of a military branch. It should quit trying to play Army (poorly) and stick to what we're good at.

JD2780 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I think the Air Force should become, or return to, being "less" of a military branch. It should quit trying to play Army (poorly) and stick to what we're good at.
    Yet it should still act like a military branch but it can't even do that. Go to AUAB, it's a crappy summer camp.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

1. Either "legalize" exec positions at the wing, group, squadron level (to include the command chief's exec) by creating a special duty identifier and billet or eliminate them all-together. Currently they are filled "out of hide" by subordinate units (usually on a rotating basis). They are sold as a "career broadening" opportunity, and while I agree to some extent, justify the manpower requirement and make it a funded position.
    2. Eliminate stratification statements on SNCO EPRs. Way too much time wasted on this process. Don't the markings on the front side and the ranking on the back provide a method of discriminating the top performer worthy of promotion consideration?
    3. Synchronize the EPR cut off to each ranks' respective Promotion Eligibility Cutoff Date (PECD). This single, simple change (which would probably take a few years to implement in stages) would put a huge dent in EPR inflation (easy to rank your Airmen as 3, 4, 5 when they all close out the same time), decrease the overall admin burden (the sheer volume of reports would greatly reduce the amount of wordsmithing and "happy" to "glad" changes), and would eliminate the "CRO EPR" dance (when units change reporting officials to generate a new EPR to improve someone's promotability).
    4. Serious review of organizational structure. Do we need this many GOs? Do we need all the NAFs? (Seriously, my last 2 assignments the only time I had to engage my NAF was for annual awards...never once in 4 years received any guidance or information) Do we need both FOAs and MAJCOM A-staffs? (Seems redundant and are often in conflict). Cut out the unneeded overhead, return the $ (manpower, funding, etc.) to the field!
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Allow aircrew to where ABU's made of NOMEX while flying. I am a flyer and I hate flight suits! They are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I dont sit in an ejection seat so why can't I wear a much cooler two piece fire retardent uniform. Im not a fighter pilot, I dont mind looking like the rest of the Air Force.
    Last edited by UH1FE; 06-03-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by UH1FE View Post
    Allow aircrew to where ABU's made of NOMEX while flying. I am a flyer and I hate flight suits! Im not a fighter pilot, I dont mind looking like the rest of the Air Force.
    Tread carefully UH1FE...the flight suit mafia might get you. While I may not be 100% certain, you are the first flight suit wearer I ever remember making that statement.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I thought 'flight suits' were COOL all the time;even on the 'beach'! (ashore to my AF friends)

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    1. Either "legalize" exec positions at the wing, group, squadron level (to include the command chief's exec) by creating a special duty identifier and billet or eliminate them all-together. Currently they are filled "out of hide" by subordinate units (usually on a rotating basis). They are sold as a "career broadening" opportunity, and while I agree to some extent, justify the manpower requirement and make it a funded position.
    2. Eliminate stratification statements on SNCO EPRs. Way too much time wasted on this process. Don't the markings on the front side and the ranking on the back provide a method of discriminating the top performer worthy of promotion consideration?
    3. Synchronize the EPR cut off to each ranks' respective Promotion Eligibility Cutoff Date (PECD). This single, simple change (which would probably take a few years to implement in stages) would put a huge dent in EPR inflation (easy to rank your Airmen as 3, 4, 5 when they all close out the same time), decrease the overall admin burden (the sheer volume of reports would greatly reduce the amount of wordsmithing and "happy" to "glad" changes), and would eliminate the "CRO EPR" dance (when units change reporting officials to generate a new EPR to improve someone's promotability).
    4. Serious review of organizational structure. Do we need this many GOs? Do we need all the NAFs? (Seriously, my last 2 assignments the only time I had to engage my NAF was for annual awards...never once in 4 years received any guidance or information) Do we need both FOAs and MAJCOM A-staffs? (Seems redundant and are often in conflict). Cut out the unneeded overhead, return the $ (manpower, funding, etc.) to the field!
    What is this "like" thing and how the hell do you do it? i agree with all. We just don't have enough folks to be broadening people as a CCM exec, protocol, XP, CAGs etc. I am not opposed to strats in principle. I've been a player in the strat game in several different wings and the badness has outweighed the good. On paper, it is a way to quickly identify a player that has the most ability to serve in the next higher grade. I've seen it used as a silver bullet because a guy has only one more chance to test. Just keeping it real here, bake sales do play a part. This is a CCM run program and each does it differently. I've seen it done right at two operationally centric units but as a whole, I hate it. It would be marginally better if everyone's EPR closed adjacent to the PECD. Not sure why we don't do that though there is no money to be saved.

Thread Information