View Poll Results: Should DoD close Commissaries?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 44.23%
  • No

29 55.77%
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Closing Commissaries

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Closing Commissaries

Quote Originally Posted by Drackore View Post
    No Walmart in Germany or Japan. What now? Raise COLA for everyone? We see how great COLA adjusts to the dollar: when dollar goes up COLA goes down the next day; when dollar goes down COLA goes up...eventually.

I want you to consider this about overseas commissaries that hire local nationals. In Germany, you hire a German. You have to follow Germany's labor laws, and those are ridiculous (up to three years paid for maternity leave, six months paid medical leave for "anxiety", etc). We use American tax dollars to pay that person. That person then takes their income and spends it on the German economy. Where is the real benefit to the taxpayer? It's money literally thrown out of the country for good. What other country does this on the level that the US does?

There is your main problem with the budget and sequestration. You don't see LNs getting sequestered. Just Americans.

And when I lived in Japan, telling me I had to live off of Japanese food: yuck. Forget it. I hated Japanese food.
    There actually is Walmart in Germany. At least there was in 2002.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
    It wouldn't just be Walmart. Predatory pricing? LOL, I routinely find stuff cheaper at Walmart than the BX, not to mention a much better selection. I guess that makes AAFES more "predatory" than Walmart. LOL
    So we switch to the bx now? Ok. The bx, at least on items of comparable quality, is competitive. Walmart does have cheaper TVs, for example, but they tend to be lower end models. You can buy less expensive clothing, but its not of the same quality. For example, I got my tv via aafes online for $50 less than sears advertised it and tax free to boot. Walmart didn't carry the model I wanted, only lower end ones.

I tend to go to wal mart when I don't care about the quality. I tend to go to the bx on big ticket items that I do care about it.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Amazon dot com

If I don't buy it on Amazon, I buy straight from the manufacturer's online store typically. (i.e. Apple, HP, etc)

Cannot beat free shipping. Plus I don't have to drive a car around town wasting gas. Or deal with all the idiots.

I do get most groceries at the commissary though.

I would rather see the BX's close than the commissary. IME, the commissary is always busy. The BX is always dead.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    You can buy less expensive clothing, but its not of the same quality. For example, I got my tv via aafes online for $50 less than sears advertised it and tax free to boot. Walmart didn't carry the model I wanted, only lower end ones.

I tend to go to wal mart when I don't care about the quality. I tend to go to the bx on big ticket items that I do care about it. .
    Who buys clothing at the BX? Most of the crap they sell is stuff that nobody in their right mind would wear anyway. Give it a few weeks and the stuff is on the clearance rack.

And unless you're at a base with a large Exchange, the selection is absolutely horrible. You wouldn't want the models they have to begin with and even if you did, you get the typical "Oh, I'm sorry...were out of that one".

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VFFTSGT View Post
    Amazon dot com

If I don't buy it on Amazon, I buy straight from the manufacturer's online store typically. (i.e. Apple, HP, etc)

Cannot beat free shipping. Plus I don't have to drive a car around town wasting gas. Or deal with all the idiots.

I do get most groceries at the commissary though.
    Yup, Amazon rocks. Even better, get Amazon Prime and shipping is free.

If you could be guaranteed that you would always be able to get savings on Commissary type stuff off base, would you be for it?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

AAFES must negotiate the selling price of their items with the producer. In order to do that, the producer must open their books to AAFES (government). Let's pick Victoria's Secret as an example.
    Their panties that sell for $10 cost .75 to make. After advertising, shipping, etc. the cost each is now $1.50. AAFES proposes selling VS panties for $4 each. That is less than half the market price. Do you think VS would agree to that? Of course not, hence you don't see VS in your local BX. Years ago the BX carried Rolex watches (guess for the officers and retired Chiefs). Anyway, when the rules changed and they had to open their books to AAFES (government) Rolex said no and pulled out. Imagine the shock across retail land if the real costs of products were known...Also, each vendor has specific requirements for size of shelf space, size of store etc. that drives if a specific BX can carry that product line. Often the average BX cannot meet the vendors requirements. So more often than not, it is not the AAFES fault regarding the pricing, quantity, or variety of items on their shelves.

And, final history lessons for tonight: Years (decades ago) AAFES could sell gasoline at slightly above cost. The gasoline resellers lobbied Congress and a law was passed that AAFES cannot undersell the local price by so much (I don't remember, but AAFES always seems to be around a nickel from downtown). Also, years ago liquor was dirt cheap at the actual Class Six stores before they were put under the AAFES umbrella. Same for cigarettes at the Commissary. I remember retirees with shopping cars full of cartons of smoke, and stacks of coupons. But now smoking and alcohol are nearly verboten across the DoD.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Yup, Amazon rocks. Even better, get Amazon Prime and shipping is free.

If you could be guaranteed that you would always be able to get savings on Commissary type stuff off base, would you be for it?
    Got Prime.

I don't know...maybe because I live closer to town than base but I DESPISE Wal-Mart so if that was where I had to go then NO. But, I don't have much of a vested interest in it anymore so...I digress. I will say though...it the last 100 years, what all has the government "promised" us (Vets and Civilians) and then broke those promises by changing the rules later?
    Last edited by VFFTSGT; 06-03-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    AAFES must negotiate the selling price of their items with the producer. In order to do that, the producer must open their books to AAFES (government). Let's pick Victoria's Secret as an example.
    Their panties that sell for $10 cost .75 to make. After advertising, shipping, etc. the cost each is now $1.50. AAFES proposes selling VS panties for $4 each. That is less than half the market price. Do you think VS would agree to that? Of course not, hence you don't see VS in your local BX. Years ago the BX carried Rolex watches (guess for the officers and retired Chiefs). Anyway, when the rules changed and they had to open their books to AAFES (government) Rolex said no and pulled out. Imagine the shock across retail land if the real costs of products were known...Also, each vendor has specific requirements for size of shelf space, size of store etc. that drives if a specific BX can carry that product line. Often the average BX cannot meet the vendors requirements. So more often than not, it is not the AAFES fault regarding the pricing, quantity, or variety of items on their shelves.

And, final history lessons for tonight: Years (decades ago) AAFES could sell gasoline at slightly above cost. The gasoline resellers lobbied Congress and a law was passed that AAFES cannot undersell the local price by so much (I don't remember, but AAFES always seems to be around a nickel from downtown). Also, years ago liquor was dirt cheap at the actual Class Six stores before they were put under the AAFES umbrella. Same for cigarettes at the Commissary. I remember retirees with shopping cars full of cartons of smoke, and stacks of coupons. But now smoking and alcohol are nearly verboten across the DoD.
    Even though I don't care for AAFES, I don't see them going away. AAFES and DeCA are much different when it comes to how they are funded.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VFFTSGT View Post
    I would rather see the BX's close than the commissary. IME, the commissary is always busy. The BX is always dead.
    I'm with you there. AAFES has pissed me off so many times, I've lost count. Either way, something is going to have to change. Whether the Commissaries close or they change the business model where they become more self-funding along the lines of AAFES, I don't think convenience can continue to be justification for billions of dollars in expenditures every year.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I'm with you there. AAFES has pissed me off so many times, I've lost count. Either way, something is going to have to change. Whether the Commissaries close or they change the business model where they become more self-funding along the lines of AAFES, I don't think convenience can continue to be justification for billions of dollars in expenditures every year.
    True, but is Congress going to abolish all subsidies? ...such as farm subsidies, milk subsidies, Earned Income Credit (ouch I bet that hurts to even think about for some people), and every other subsidy?

If we aren't going to get rid of them all, then they should leave the commissary alone.

Thread Information