View Poll Results: Should DoD close Commissaries?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 44.23%
  • No

29 55.77%
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Closing Commissaries

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Closing Commissaries

Quote Originally Posted by LogDog_guest View Post
    Those who are in favor of closing the commissaries will be the first ones to complain about losing a promised "benefit" if they actually closed a commissary.
    Nope, the people that complain would be the people who live on base and might actually have to drive more than a mile to go to the grocery store. I personally fall in to that category and it's is convenient having it that close to my house. If people would actually get serious, they would admit that "convenience" doesn't justify billions in cost. For retired folks and people that live off base, having local supermakets provide the same service would be more convenient.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Walmart's benefits are so meager that its employees depends upon Medicaid for healthcare, food stamps, etc. to survive. It's no secret that Walmart provides low paying jobs knowing that local politicians will give then tax breaks just so they can say they created jobs. I recently heard that the difference in pay between Walmart and Costco employees. Walmart employees averaged about $18,000 per year compared compared to $45,000 for the average Costco employee.

xAs for the cost to the government (taxpayers) a recent article stated the cost in Wisconsin of a single Walmart store could be up to $900,000 if the employees sign-up for the government programs because of their low wages.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3365814.html
    Wow, actual job training and real wages? That's Un-American!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    Sorry, I probably should have stated it better and I do have the report up on the screen.

My opinion: Case by case closings of those commissaries that run at a loss would definitely solve the problem of having such a loss of money. But, then you have the issue of the government subsidizing groceries only at specific locations based on the store sales (something that philosophically I would be in favor of Ė let the market sort it out via natural selection if you will), but I think this would disadvantage personnel at certain locations since we donít have separate BAS/COMRATS rates based on location, nor do we have stateside COLA. I think the idea of raising the flat rate of BAS/COMRATS and letting people shop in town would:

1. Save the money currently lost by DeCA.
    2. Put a bit more money into local economies vice into DeCA (or ultimately MWR).
    3. Improve choice.

Granted, I am empathetic to people who live on base, especially in the barracks without a car (I was one of those guys a few times). But there would still be convenience stores on post that can augment what **most** people in the barracks are looking for. At the same time, I think if there is a better solution we shouldn't write it off solely because it isn't convenient. If cutting CONUS commissaries saves $1, 2 or 3 billion then it should be a serious consideration.
    Cutting ANYTHING is going to screw over someone. I guess the key is 1) Is a cut necessary? and 2) How can we manage the cut in a way that will screw over as few people as possible?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
    And families shop at the Commissary by CHOICE. I've had many people tell me that they think it is cheaper to shop there than the Commissary.
    Yup. Choice is pretty cool, isn't it?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    In what manner?
    Walmart's benefits are so meager that its employees depends upon Medicaid for healthcare, food stamps, etc. to survive. It's no secret that Walmart provides low paying jobs knowing that local politicians will give then tax breaks just so they can say they created jobs. I recently heard that the difference in pay between Walmart and Costco employees. Walmart employees averaged about $18,000 per year compared compared to $45,000 for the average Costco employee.

xAs for the cost to the government (taxpayers) a recent article stated the cost in Wisconsin of a single Walmart store could be up to $900,000 if the employees sign-up for the government programs because of their low wages.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I would be curious if it would be profitable to run a completely self-sufficient (economically) grocery on base. Sales would have to cover the building (rent, maintenance etc.), the utilities, the miscellaneous supplies, expenses etc., employee salaries … everything. There would still be the convenience of location/proximity to the base population but absent of the government subsidy.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

If a large grocery chain (Safeway, Krogers, WalMart, etc.) could provide the same foodstuffs at the same price I could not see justifying DECA. It would have to probably be regional (except for WalMart). SecDef Rumsfeld once said (paraphrasing): "Why am I running supermarkets, childcare, schools, and housing areas?"
    Something to consider...
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    Yes, many families shop by Walmart BY CHOICE.
    And families shop at the Commissary by CHOICE. I've had many people tell me that they think it is cheaper to shop there than the Commissary.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    Newsflash Joe!!!! We have servicemembers on food stamps. Guess that means that the government you love so much is the bad guy too.

Nevermind the fact that none of that has anything to do with servicemembers shopping there or at any other local supermarket.

BTW Joe, ever get around to looking up what an AAFES cashier gets paid?

Thread Information