Thread: Teenager defaces Luxor Temple in Egypt

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Teenager defaces Luxor Temple in Egypt

Are you freaking kidding me? I know this is a typical teenage act, but it should be reserved for trees, rocks, and picnic tables....not inside a 3,500 year old temple. I guess he has literally etched his name in history now unfortunately....

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/27/travel...html?hpt=hp_t1

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Teenager defaces Luxor Temple in Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by RFScott View Post
    Are you freaking kidding me? I know this is a typical teenage act, but it should be reserved for trees, rocks, and picnic tables....not inside a 3,500 year old temple. I guess he has literally etched his name in history now unfortunately....

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/27/travel...html?hpt=hp_t1
    I did find the reaction of the Chinese “twitter-verse” somewhat encouraging.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Unhappy Re: Teenager defaces Luxor Temple in Egypt

This is hardly an isolated incident. Egypt has suffered savage pillaging over the centuries. As a symbol of “heathen paganism” it was methodically despoiled by the early Christians and their Moslem successors. Countless ancient temples were either appropriated or razed by the Catholics, and thousands of statues and inscriptions were disfigured. In 389 CE a Christian mob, acting on the orders of the Christian Roman Emperor Theodosius, burned the great library of Alexandria to the ground. Even so, millions of book-rolls were rescued or gathered together from other repositories and the library was reestablished - until 636. In that year Alexandria was taken by Omar, the Third Caliph of Islam, who decreed: “The contents of these books are in conformity with the Koran or they are not. If they are, the Koran is sufficient without them; if not, they are pernicious. Therefore let them be destroyed.” They were burned as fuel to heat the city’s baths; it took six months for all of them to be consumed. So it is not too surprising that modern researchers have only a pitiful few scraps of information from previously-undiscovered tombs or overlooked monuments.

If you really want to depress yourself about this, I recommend in particular The Rape of the Nile: Tomb Robbers, Tourists, and Archaeologists in Egypt, Revised and Updated by Brian Fagan (Sep 14, 2004).
    Michael A. Aquino
    LTC, PSYOP, USA-Ret.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Allegedly this lady came here JUST to deface monuments....

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/30/politi...html?hpt=hp_c2
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

If you have traveled Internationally at all. You would know that Chinese tourists are on the rise, and they are very obnoxious and just out right ass holes. It's sad that the Chinese government wants them to take a class on how not to be rude while abroad.

Thread Information