Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Personal Attacks - Moderator Logic

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Personal Attacks - Moderator Logic

In the past, my observation was that moderators were largely absent, and only sprung into action when somebody complained about a post. I found that even posts that had no attack whatsoever, were used to ban me (thanks SandsJames). But it's not like this forum is making any bank, so I figured it was just lazy mods. So to test that theory, I reported attacking posts by SJ and TMAC, and wouldn't you know it - they were not banned and I got no response from the mods.

But then there was this "re-org" of the board recently. Made me wonder if perhaps the moderation on the site was being done more responsibly.

But then I got a warning about "attacking" JD - no reference to what post. I can hazzard a guess as to which post wasn't soft and delicate enough for military fighting men (and former service men) on a message board full of words.

Dear PickYourBattles,

You have received an infraction at MilitaryTimes.com Forums.

Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)
    -------
    Please discontinue your targeted personal attacks against JD2780.
    -------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

All the best,
    MilitaryTimes.com Forums

But then today I get another warning about attacking JD, and I know that one is bunk. Again, no pointer to what post was offending or why, and it reminds me of the SandsJames complaint that was from left field.

Dear PickYourBattles,

-------
    D not continue harassing JD. This is your final warning.
    -------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

All the best,
    MilitaryTimes.com Forums

Neg rep might be gone to keep the childish from playing games, but apparently reporting posts is alive and well.
    Last edited by PickYourBattles; 05-26-2013 at 07:02 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Personal Attacks - Moderator Logic

So I think mods need to make their warnings and bannings public, the offending post, the reason why it was offending. You know, transparency.

Otherwise, I will continue to think this board is run by unprincipled sissies who punish those who offend those who complain like a false sexual harassment complainer. Yeah, I said it. Make it transparent, or stop moderating at all and let the truth take its course.

And of course I have no issue being booted from this worthless forum.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PickYourBattles View Post

Come on now, you don't mean this!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

In the past, my observation was that moderators were largely absent, and only sprung into action when somebody complained about a post. I found that even posts that had no attack whatsoever, were used to ban me (thanks SandsJames). But it's not like this forum is making any bank, so I figured it was just lazy mods. So to test that theory, I reported attacking posts by SJ and TMAC, and wouldn't you know it - they were not banned and I got no response from the mods.

But then there was this "re-org" of the board recently. Made me wonder if perhaps the moderation on the site was being done more responsibly.

But then I got a warning about "attacking" JD - no reference to what post. I can hazzard a guess as to which post wasn't soft and delicate enough for military fighting men (and former service men) on a message board full of words.

Dear PickYourBattles,

-------
    Please discontinue your targeted personal attacks against JD2780.
    -------

All the best,
    MilitaryTimes.com Forums

But then today I get another warning about attacking JD, and I know that one is bunk. Again, no pointer to what post was offending or why, and it reminds me of the SandsJames complaint that was from left field.

Dear PickYourBattles,

-------
    D not continue harassing JD. This is your final warning.
    -------

All the best,
    MilitaryTimes.com Forums

Neg rep might be gone to keep the childish from playing games, but apparently reporting posts is alive and well.
    PYB,

You did make a comment about JD's PTSD and I do not believe making fun of someone's disabilities will be tolerated in these forums. I did not report the post but I believe most people would.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I normally do not agree with PYB, but in this case I will. I have moderated three forums over the years and I found that consistency in enforcing the rules is always the right play. Just like in real life - imagine THAT!

I have reported a member several times, and was never acknowledged for doing so nor was there any action taken against that member. And this was not for a "he hurt my feelings" incident. This was for a rule that is expressly mentioned in the dialog box used to report a post! When you are reporting a post, this rule is RIGHT THERE! Lesson learned - rules apply to some, not to all. Just like in real life - imagine THAT!

I used to be much more active here because I enjoyed the debate and I saw this as an opportunity to learn something from other service members - especially those from other services. My activity has dropped off for the reasons mentioned already. Not that I am missed or anything... that's just my 2 cents.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s)
    Haha, a point deduction system? Reminds me of 8th grade and "Citizenship Points". If you were "bad", you had points deducted from a starting total of 100. If you dipped below 80 points, you had to attend a detention on Friday afternoon while everyone else got to take a half-hour period at the end of day and attend a "Citizenship Party", where the teachers played music and sold sodas/candy.

You could re-acquire "Citizenship Points" during the week if you lost any by doing things such as bringing in aluminum cans for recycling, writing a one page essay on why you were "bad" and what you would do to stop being "bad", or attending morning study hall.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Perhaps you could go public with what posts you consider attacking and actually BE transparent.

Perhaps someone called you a fascist. Perhaps they intimated that you are a rapist or child molester. Perhaps they continually make lame and unoriginal comments about you killing dogs in thread after thread.

You could always take your ball and go home.

BTW. What was the radio station the clip was broadcast on?

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    I normally do not agree with PYB, but in this case I will. I have moderated three forums over the years and I found that consistency in enforcing the rules is always the right play. Just like in real life - imagine THAT!

I have reported a member several times, and was never acknowledged for doing so nor was there any action taken against that member. And this was not for a "he hurt my feelings" incident. This was for a rule that is expressly mentioned in the dialog box used to report a post! When you are reporting a post, this rule is RIGHT THERE! Lesson learned - rules apply to some, not to all. Just like in real life - imagine THAT!

I used to be much more active here because I enjoyed the debate and I saw this as an opportunity to learn something from other service members - especially those from other services. My activity has dropped off for the reasons mentioned already. Not that I am missed or anything... that's just my 2 cents.
    Same here. There is a member who openly admits to maintaining a second account so he can continue rambling about how much the Air Force sucks even when he's banned... which is expressly against the terms of service.

Better still - Rusty Jones himself actually had his alt account banned. Yet this other member OPENLY, OPENLY admits to having two accounts, I report him, yet nothing happens.

Maybe he has a profile. A "fight or flight" profile.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

So I think mods need to make their warnings and bannings public, the offending post, the reason why it was offending. You know, transparency.

Otherwise, I will continue to think this board is run by unprincipled sissies who punish those who offend those who complain like a false sexual harassment complainer. Yeah, I said it. Make it transparent, or stop moderating at all and let the truth take its course.

Yep!

I’d say that it is pretty clear that you are being picked on.

You could deal with this using conventional means but that could take years and cost thousands of user profiles.

I think you should outfit each of your posts with video cameras and armor plates.

The second a person starts to read one of your posts the video cameras will be there to capture every sardonic eye roll and malicious chortle.
    When they start typing a response, again, the cameras will be there to record every single hostile clickety clack and all those subtly malevolent tapety taps.

You can post these videos in a Youtube channel and perhaps garner support from a vast network of world-wide supporters.

All that will be left for you to do is vanquish your online foes with an uppercase admonishment to be courageous.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAdmin View Post
    You all deserve a response, but I am afraid I cannot be fully "transparent." Here's why:
    I like how you correctly placed the period at the end of your sentence inside the quotes. You must have attended private schools, I'm guessing.

Thread Information