Thread: Props to Big Blue - Why I Love the Air Force

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Props to Big Blue - Why I Love the Air Force

We all know there are many failures and challenges with our service. What we don't all know, and what I have been learning over the past few years, is that it isn't all bad. The Air Force does do the right thing ultimately, and our processes do in fact work from time to time. We should take a step back and realize that the Air Force does get it right, because of people like those of us on this board, who do the right thing. I focus most of my time on those who are not prepared to do the right thing, but this Memorial Day I'd like to give our service kudos for doing it right.

I can't go into details, but a buddy of mine recently flew Into the Mouth of the Domestic Cat (don't even think about stealing my book title, RFD) and he came out on top. After a long period of stress on him and his family, after a great career as a fighter pilot, after real combat time and a Distinguished Flying Cross and hanging it out (we flew together in combat), and after many years spent being a role model for "bromanship" helping out the youngin's coming up and spending long hours at work, and after many years faithfully serving his commanders in the spirit of Robin Olds, he ran into domestic flak. He was FEB'd and they tried to take his wings, despite the fact that he broke no rules and did nothing wrong. He won the FEB and they vindicated him. Not being satisfied, they tried to kick him out of the service and deny him and his wife and kids, the benefits he so laboriously earned just a couple years shy of him hitting retirement age.

He won in that process too, because those who judged him did the right thing. People like those on this board, using common sense and caring about process, did the right thing and kept that from happening.

The Air Force gets it right from time to time, and that should be celebrated. It has happened in my case, and it has happened in his case. So the next time somebody tries to scare you with the reality of fear for doing right and standing up, just realize that the Air Force might very well have your back, if you have the courage to take a stand. It won't be easy, but you can come out on the other side after flying Into the Mouth of the Domestic Cat.

Congratulations to the United States Air Force, the most lethal service to ever exist, for doing the right thing and having processes that work for your airmen.

Last edited by PickYourBattles; 05-25-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Props to Big Blue - Why I Love the Air Force

I'm really glad things worked out for him. Still, you have to question why things go so far sometimes. An FEB, member wins, then they try to kick him out? Sorry, but his management - they don't deserve the toke leadership - are the ones that should be taking the hike.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    I'm really glad things worked out for him. Still, you have to question why things go so far sometimes. An FEB, member wins, then they try to kick him out? Sorry, but his management - they don't deserve the toke leadership - are the ones that should be taking the hike.
    Agreed. Things definitely go too far, and it has a real impact on folks doing the right thing.

But nobody said this job would be easy. We are in the business of courage, and so it's a win when we show courage and the service matches it ultimately.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PickYourBattles View Post
    We all know there are many failures and challenges with our service. What we don't all know, and what I have been learning over the past few years, is that it isn't all bad. The Air Force does do the right thing ultimately, and our processes do in fact work from time to time. We should take a step back and realize that the Air Force does get it right, because of people like those of us on this board, who do the right thing. I focus most of my time on those who are not prepared to do the right thing, but this Memorial Day I'd like to give our service kudos for doing it right.

I can't go into details, but a buddy of mine recently flew Into the Mouth of the Domestic Cat (don't even think about stealing my book title, RFD) and he came out on top. After a long period of stress on him and his family, after a great career as a fighter pilot, after real combat time and a Distinguished Flying Cross and hanging it out (we flew together in combat), and after many years spent being a role model for "bromanship" helping out the youngin's coming up and spending long hours at work, and after many years faithfully serving his commanders in the spirit of Robin Olds, he ran into domestic flak. He was FEB'd and they tried to take his wings, despite the fact that he broke no rules and did nothing wrong. He won the FEB and they vindicated him. Not being satisfied, they tried to kick him out of the service and deny him and his wife and kids, the benefits he so laboriously earned just a couple years shy of him hitting retirement age.

He won in that process too, because those who judged him did the right thing. People like those on this board, using common sense and caring about process, did the right thing and kept that from happening.

The Air Force gets it right from time to time, and that should be celebrated. It has happened in my case, and it has happened in his case. So the next time somebody tries to scare you with the reality of fear for doing right and standing up, just realize that the Air Force might very well have your back, if you have the courage to take a stand. It won't be easy, but you can come out on the other side after flying Into the Mouth of the Domestic Cat.

Congratulations to the United States Air Force, the most lethal service to ever exist, for doing the right thing and having processes that work for your airmen.

Nah bro I'm cool. I'll stick with doing the bare minimum, dodging any leadership responsibilities, and flying below the radar. Then I'll go on MTF and bitch about how much my branch sucks.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Very bad when you have too fight your 'own system' for what is right...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

probably the best song anyone can pick for that video awesome
    I Support unisex bathrooms and unisex lockerroom..

Thread Information