Thread: Earthquakes are no fun

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Earthquakes are no fun

Home visiting my parents for the weekend and get hit with a 5.7 earthquake. We're about 150 miles north of San Francisco. When we felt it, we thought "Holy crap, if it felt that big up this far, SF must have been crushed. Turn on the news and, luckily, the epicenter was in the town I'm sitting in. Greenville, CA. A little town up in the mountains.

I can tell you that it's one of the scariest things I've ever been through. I've been in hurricanes, tornados, typhoons, blizzards, etc, and I will take all of them over an earthquake any day. Luckily, it's a very rural area so there were no injuries and relatively little damage.

There have been well over 50 aftershocks and it's definitely "enough already". The funny thing is that you grow up in California and have all the drills while your in school but earthquakes are so unexpected on spontaneous that really, even with all the "training", it seems pretty pointless. When it hit the 5 of us pretty much sat in one place and stared at each other in a "WTF" moment. Pretty funny in hindsight.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Earthquakes are no fun

Glad you are ok Sands... Small world I used to live in Mt Shasta and have been through Susanville a lot on the way to Reno.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Was a while back, but i felt a 4.1 quake donkeys years back, when our family visited disney land. IIRC i was around 4-5 and loved the shaking ground..

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    I got bronchitis!!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Was a while back, but i felt a 4.1 quake donkeys years back, when our family visited disney land. IIRC i was around 4-5 and loved the shaking ground..
    It wasn't so much the shaking ground. It was the, seemingly, never ending aftershocks. Even funnier, I think, was listening to the news stations out of Sacramento (closest local stations) with all the rednecks from this area calling in. And, of course, the newscasters sounding upset that there wasn't massive damage and destruction.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    Go find a 'Jonestown' Joe and get your sorry mail-order-preachin' A$$CLOWN' neg-remarks down the sewer were the belong.....I swear...............

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    It wasn't so much the shaking ground. It was the, seemingly, never ending aftershocks. Even funnier, I think, was listening to the news stations out of Sacramento (closest local stations) with all the rednecks from this area calling in. And, of course, the newscasters sounding upset that there wasn't massive damage and destruction.
    Yup.. No blood/death/scandal, and the press don't care.

Thread Information