Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Commission on AF structure to meet

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Commission on AF structure to meet

From the news release:

5/24/2013 - WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- The National Commission on the Structure of the Air Force will hold its first public hearing Tuesday, June 4th, 2013 in the Rayburn House Office Building in Washington, D.C.

President Obama and the chairmen and ranking members of both Armed Services Committees recently appointed eight members to serve on the Commission. The 2013 National Defense Authorization Act directed the establishment of this commission.

The Honorable Dennis M. McCarthy, Marine Corps Lieutenant General, (Ret) is the Commission's chairman and the Honorable Erin Conaton is the vice chair. The other Commission members are: F. Whitten Peters; Les Brownlee; Air Force General, (Ret) Raymond Johns, Jr.; Lieutenant General, Air National Guard (Ret) Harry M. "Bud" Wyatt, III, Dr. Janine Davidson; and Dr. Margaret Harrell.

Dr. James A. Blackwell has been appointed Executive Director. The Department of Defense sponsor is Mr. Michael L. Rhodes. Director of Administration and Management.

The Commission will conduct a comprehensive study of Air Force's structure to determine if and how the structure should be modified to best fill current and future mission requirements with available resources. The first public hearing will be June 4th, 2013 in the Rayburn House Office Building. The Commission's report to the President and Congress is due February 1, 2014.

The Commission will consider whether the Air Force:

- Meets current and anticipated requirements of the combatant commands;

- Achieves an appropriate balance between the regular and reserve components, taking advantage of the unique strengths and capabilities of each;

- Ensures that the regular and reserve components have the capacity to support current and future homeland defense and disaster assistance missions in the United States;

- Provides a sufficient numbers of regular members to provide a base of trained personnel from which reserve components could be recruited;

- Maintains a peacetime rotation force to support operational tempo goals of 1:2 for regular members and 1:5 for reserve members

- Maximizes and appropriately balances affordability, efficiency, effectiveness, capability, and readiness.

For more information about the National Commission on the Structure of the Air Force, contact dfoafstrucomm@osd.mil
    Link to story: http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123350057

Thoughts, anyone? Lots of people here have great ideas about how to fix everything that is wrong with the USAF, so let's hear it.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Commission on AF structure to meet

I would like to see all the services combine all their aircraft depots instead of each service having their own. Then take a airline view on how to get a airplane through a heavy check in 90 days than 6 months. Keep Air Force officers out of the process on how aircraft are repaired and just keep it to experienced maintainers with years of experience. Seen too many guys with crisp shirts in slacks and loafers make to many dumb money wasting decisions.
    For officers I would to see the reintroduction of warrants to stay in the cockpit than rather than pulling them out just when they are getting good at it than to put them on that command tract which most don't want. For acft mechanics we are too specialized, we need to pair down to Airframe & Powerplant, Structures, and Avionics with all 3 interchangeable so we have more rounded mechanics.
    I'm not the regular Crew Chief.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The Air Force should reinstate the Warrant Officer program. They could have Warrant's in many AFSC's; Intel, OSI, Cyber, Aviators, Aircraft maintenance, Legal, Logistics and Supply, Drones, Admin and Finance. When I was growing up on Vandenberg AFB in the late 1950's-early 1960's, we had Warrant Officers living in our neighborhood. The Air Force also needs to drastically reduce the number of generals. Why do they need 350 generals on active duty and 100 in the Air National Guard and Reserves? When the AF reduces to 328,000 airman on active duty, that will be 1 general for every 937 airmen. In World War II, there were 16 million troops on active duty, with 2,000 generals and admirals; a ratio of 8,000:1, not 937:1 as in the Air Force today.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

So we have a bunch of former Generals that will talk about the structure of a General heavy force?

Fuck my life.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Drackore View Post
    So we have a bunch of former Generals that will talk about the structure of a General heavy force?

Fuck my life.
    Only three of the eight members are retired Generals. Would you agree that the panel should have some representation from the uniformed service it is tasked to evaluate?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhorse19 View Post
    The Air Force also needs to drastically reduce the number of generals. Why do they need 350 generals on active duty and 100 in the Air National Guard and Reserves?
    The latest report is from FEB 2013 and the numbers indicate 295 generals in the active USAF. I don't have a source for the Air Guard. I do agree with you... anything over 150 is overstrength in my opinion.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

We don't need warrant officers!

We need to get rid of the two tiered (three tiered for the other services who have WO's) rank system all together. It such an old system; it is obsolete today.

In all my years, officers (not to rail on them, but I am) have not provided any benefit to the unit. I have spent so much time trying to teach officers what they needed to know about my job and what needs to get done to get the job done...it took valuable time away from actually doing the job. This has resulted in extended downtime of equipment, delayed ordering of parts, "overtime" that didn't need to happen, etc. If they would just stay in their little offices, send emails, pretend to be important, and let us do our job...there would be no problem.

We need to completely overhaul the rank system of the military to modernize it and stop operating under a 15th century concept.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Any recommendation that involves significant manpower reductions from an installation will result in immediate resistance from the congressional leaders that represent that state. It's not about what's good for the AF or country, it's about votes.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    Any recommendation that involves significant manpower reductions from an installation will result in immediate resistance from the congressional leaders that represent that state. It's not about what's good for the AF or country, it's about votes.
    See BRAC 2005. Ellsworth on the closure list and it ended up with a Finance Center? Cannon was on the list too. Please, now it's AFSOC. We couldn't even axe the band at Offutt and that's only 60 positions. The Offutt Band (or whatever it's called) was in PBD 720 to be cut when it showed up on the MAJCOM's (ACC in this case) doorsteps on 06. To borrow a Chris Berman line, "I remember, because I was there!!"
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    See BRAC 2005. Ellsworth on the closure list and it ended up with a Finance Center? Cannon was on the list too. Please, now it's AFSOC. We couldn't even axe the band at Offutt and that's only 60 positions. The Offutt Band (or whatever it's called) was in PBD 720 to be cut when it showed up on the MAJCOM's (ACC in this case) doorsteps on 06. To borrow a Chris Berman line, "I remember, because I was there!!"
    Not In My Back Yard! Cutting the pork is fine so long as you don't touch MY pork. The latest BRACs tend to only shuffle the pork around instead of actually trimming it. Reminds me shop/warehouse clean-up whenever an ORI rolls around or new "leadership" arrives - there is less cleaning and more "move this there, bring that here, make that look pretty" and voila! Everyone thinks something was accomplished.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I would like to see us get back to basics.

How about looking at the Civil Service and Contractor waste at Hill, Tyndall & Edwards....

Thread Information