Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: This is how one decision screws everything up

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default This is how one decision screws everything up

I know we have a PT thread now, but this is only related to it as far as the reason I was demoted.

So it's been over a year now since the demotion has taken effect. That one decision caused a chain reaction of things that no one person should have to endure, I don't care what they did. So I've PCSed to Korea, and I DON'T have any issue with that, I like the assignment. However because of the demotion, I was already over HYT and thus cannot re-enlist or extend my contract. Even though assignments knew I didn't have enough retainability to go to Korea, they sent me anyways and I've been here for a few months and have been told that I will have to finish the rest of my enlistment here (20+ months). That was a fun conversation with the wife!

Then I receive an email from AFPC that stated that my DOS had been adjusted (not because of DOS rollbacks), to match my HYT. So 29 Sept 2013 is my new DOS, which is way different from the November 2014 DOS I had before. On top of that, I'm being put through an MEB for the very issue that caused my PT fail that resulted in my demotion.

Oh and then there is the little package I sent off to the AFBCMR or the Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records for those that don't do well with acronyms. Being that I brought up the ankle issues and MRI results and letters from my doctor to my commander and was pretty much ignored by every level of my chain of command at my last base, I decided to put this package together using the same information. This was the response I got from them

"Deny relief sought by the applicant to remove the FA dated 15 Feb 2012 in AFFMS (Not removing the entire test); however, recommend exempting cardio component. (re-score test based on pushups, situps, and waist which would result in test being a pass with 85.5). The MTF validated applicant had an ankle injury that affected his ability to perform the cardio portion; there is no evidence that indicates any other portion should be invalidated or exempted. Even though the commander has not invalidated assessment, it is obvious member should not have completed all components."

So based on that, and if the final decision goes my way, I will be getting my rank back, however I will still be med boarded for the issue and possibly separated over it.

Just wanted to put that out there to those that stated that my demotion was justified and validated and what not. The information I provided to them was the exact same information I provided to my last commander and he chose to ignore it. Even my chain of command here could not figure out why he did what he did, it is one thing to demote someone, it is another thing to demote someone and throw everything else that you can at them to ensure that their career is ruined under the guise that you are trying to "save their career"

Now I may be getting back pay and based on what the AFI says, a possible promotion to TSgt because I never stopped fighting. Lesson to all, you cannot lay down and take this crap anyone, you have to fight every single day until you are finally heard.
    Last edited by omertalifestyle; 05-25-2013 at 05:07 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: This is how one decision screws everything up

Good for you for not giving up!

JD2780 Guest

Congrats dude.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Glad you had the intestinal fortitude, and determination to follow through.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Your experience with the AF fitness program as you described it is all that is wrong with it to me; too unforgiving, too rigid and no ability for leadership to apply common sense discretion. No failure on any test should put people through what you went through/are going though. A 20 month tour to Korea away from family??? How much more insensitive could the AF had been...what bullshit. I bet if you had failed a few QA spot checks you wouldn't of had to experience any of this. I don't have a problem with the whole fitness thing in of itself, but the Air Force has F'd it up so bad in administering the program, it has made something that should be a positive encouragement thing into a nasty dreadful thing. When I retire, I'll never jog another mile and a half, or do one more GD push up or sit up ever again...just out of spite.

Way to hang tough brother.
    Last edited by Mr. Happy; 05-25-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

This program is still a joke. Good for you for not giving up and it paying off.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Happy View Post
    A 20 month tour to Korea away from family??? How much more insensitive could the AF had been...what bullshit.
    The end-result of limp-wristed, soft-bellied "managers". Not a single true leader in the process.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I can't even imagine a system that demotes you over a failure. Least on the squid side you get three failures before they separate you. Even then you can game the system if you know the right people. I've done it just not to be bothered with the whole test thing, even though I can pass at any time.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by omertalifestyle View Post
    I know we have a PT thread now, but this is only related to it as far as the reason I was demoted.

So it's been over a year now since the demotion has taken effect. That one decision caused a chain reaction of things that no one person should have to endure, I don't care what they did. So I've PCSed to Korea, and I DON'T have any issue with that, I like the assignment. However because of the demotion, I was already over HYT and thus cannot re-enlist or extend my contract. Even though assignments knew I didn't have enough retainability to go to Korea, they sent me anyways and I've been here for a few months and have been told that I will have to finish the rest of my enlistment here (20+ months). That was a fun conversation with the wife!

Then I receive an email from AFPC that stated that my DOS had been adjusted (not because of DOS rollbacks), to match my HYT. So 29 Sept 2013 is my new DOS, which is way different from the November 2014 DOS I had before. On top of that, I'm being put through an MEB for the very issue that caused my PT fail that resulted in my demotion.

Oh and then there is the little package I sent off to the AFBCMR or the Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records for those that don't do well with acronyms. Being that I brought up the ankle issues and MRI results and letters from my doctor to my commander and was pretty much ignored by every level of my chain of command at my last base, I decided to put this package together using the same information. This was the response I got from them

"Deny relief sought by the applicant to remove the FA dated 15 Feb 2012 in AFFMS (Not removing the entire test); however, recommend exempting cardio component. (re-score test based on pushups, situps, and waist which would result in test being a pass with 85.5). The MTF validated applicant had an ankle injury that affected his ability to perform the cardio portion; there is no evidence that indicates any other portion should be invalidated or exempted. Even though the commander has not invalidated assessment, it is obvious member should not have completed all components."

So based on that, and if the final decision goes my way, I will be getting my rank back, however I will still be med boarded for the issue and possibly separated over it.

Just wanted to put that out there to those that stated that my demotion was justified and validated and what not. The information I provided to them was the exact same information I provided to my last commander and he chose to ignore it. Even my chain of command here could not figure out why he did what he did, it is one thing to demote someone, it is another thing to demote someone and throw everything else that you can at them to ensure that their career is ruined under the guise that you are trying to "save their career"

Now I may be getting back pay and based on what the AFI says, a possible promotion to TSgt because I never stopped fighting. Lesson to all, you cannot lay down and take this crap anyone, you have to fight every single day until you are finally heard.
    What's sad about this is your previous commander will suffer ZERO consequences as a result of being wrong. He will continue his AF career screwing people over. Just like doctor's who misdiagnose you - they don't care about the outcome that correctly diagnosed you and fixed you.

Thread Information